PDA

View Full Version : Whats the problems with P2P

tut
14-03-2010, 07:13 PM
I have seen two references to P2P sites here on this forum recently. They make it sound if P2P causes lots of problems.
I have been downloading music and some vids from one of these sites for some time with no apparent problems.
Is there something I should be watching out for?
What are the problems?

Speedy Gonzales
14-03-2010, 07:15 PM
Yer get the wrong thing and run it, your system will get infected. Its not the program itself, thats the prob, its what you get and run (if youre not careful)

davidmmac
14-03-2010, 08:49 PM
Yes as Speedy says security is the biggest issue with P2P, quite a few computers that become infected have/do use P2P programs (limewire, bittorrent, etc).

But in saying that it's not all bad, I downloaded some drivers off the Asus website the other day through P2P and got twice the speed I was getting with http. Many linux distro's also use P2P.

Speedy Gonzales
14-03-2010, 08:52 PM
Well, true if its something legit, like ASUS, you probably wont get infected. OTOH, if its warez, thats another matter.

prefect
14-03-2010, 09:00 PM
My kid has had limewire on his computer for a couple of years and it still works

jwil1
14-03-2010, 09:10 PM
A friend of mine downloads P2P data on a regular basis (mainly TV shows and software) and has done for at least 2-3 years - and AFAIK has never had an infection...

Speedy Gonzales
14-03-2010, 09:23 PM
Well, that depends on WHERE youre getting it from

Renmoo
14-03-2010, 09:39 PM
I have seen two references to P2P sites here on this forum recently. They make it sound if P2P causes lots of problems.
I have been downloading music and some vids from one of these sites for some time with no apparent problems.
Is there something I should be watching out for?
What are the problems?
Hmmmmmm.... And did you pay for the music and video, by any chance?

pctek
15-03-2010, 08:26 AM

Sometimes it IS the program you use.
But mainly it's the potential for infection.

After all, think about it, where are you downloading from? A legit music shop? No.
You are stealing.
And the stuff comes from other peoples computers.

Who may or may not know they have infections.
Or have deliberately infected something.

It is theft you know.

utopian201
15-03-2010, 09:50 AM
I don't think there is any danger; infected files are quickly removed from shares as soon as they are discovered they have been infected. Why would anyone keep an infected copy around on their computer?

If they didn't know it was infected, they will keep on sharing but no one else will share that file, as most people will choose to download the file with the most sources - the most popular (safest) version of that file.

This effect is most evident when Madonna's recording studio (not sure which one) deliberately released one of her new singles onto a filesharing network, but with the song replaced with an anti-piracy message. At first it got around, but then as soon as people realised it was fake, they stopped sharing that file. When new people try to search for that song, they'll see the fake with a few hundred sources, and the actual song with hundreds of thousands of sources.

It is theft and stealing is wrong, I'm just saying thats how the networks operate.

Also if you run your computer in a normal account and not administrator, I'm pretty sure its difficult to get infected.

Digby
15-03-2010, 11:26 AM
OP
Yes I noticed that too.
I have never had a problem with p2p programs.
I use a good one and anti-virus etc.

I am more worried about email viruses etc

prefect
15-03-2010, 11:28 AM
Everyone thought it would be the end of the world when audio cassette tapes and VCR tapes came out.

tut
16-03-2010, 06:52 AM
Many thanks for the replies, they answered my questions.
And for those that pointed out that what I appeared to be doing was illegal, stealing etc please be aware that those comments were hurtful especially when you have no idea what music or videos I have downloaded. I am aware that some material requires payment but what I download is my business only.

Speedy Gonzales
16-03-2010, 09:07 AM
Well it doesnt matter where youre getting them from. If you didnt make them / or theyre yours, its illegal

pctek
16-03-2010, 09:16 AM
be aware that those comments were hurtful
what I download is my business only.

Oh diddums.

Greg
16-03-2010, 11:05 AM
All this BS about downloading copyright material, is... BS.

It's unlawful without permission, but it's not theft or illegal. It comes down to civil matters, which only a Court can decide.

Gobe1
16-03-2010, 11:13 AM
Would you download a car?

If i could hell yeah :)

prefect
16-03-2010, 11:37 AM
Could you download a real thin blonde with big breasts?
If you could woo hoo.

tut
16-03-2010, 11:38 AM
Thank you Greg, you are so correct.
Non of the works I download are copywritten and the fact that the host peer has allowed the access to his/her computer for the purpose of sharing this material implies permission

Hurtful is not the word I wanted to use but being a family forum I constrained myself.

Jamus and pctek read again my original post. There was no request for information about the illegality of what I was doing so why bring it up?

This a great forum but there is a tendency for threads to move off topic. I take no offence at that as it sometimes leads to interesting information but some time it is not warranted.

Peace

Speedy Gonzales
16-03-2010, 11:41 AM
Umm well no thats the point of P2P. Sharing. Getting it from someone else doesnt mean you have permission to get it / use it. Since they dont own it either

Enough said

Trev
16-03-2010, 11:51 AM
Download free legal p2p Here. (http://www.vuze.com/)

pkm
16-03-2010, 03:14 PM
My kid has had limewire on his computer for a couple of years and it still works
Years ago when I first installed limewire I did a malware scan before,and straight after. Straight away trojan found after installing it. Every PC ive found with limewire on it is infected.

Ive used peer to peer to get linux distros, quite quickly.

wainuitech
16-03-2010, 03:35 PM
P2P programs area magnet for infections - only takes one download to be bad/infected and its away laughing.

Cleaning a customers PC at the moment -- They have Limewire, infected to the point of not even booting, or being able to access the contents of the drive even when slaved.

Had to start cleaning it Via a selection of cleaners from a bootable CD.

Results so far --

Rootkits = 8
Between two cleaners = 183 - (42 were trojans)

After cleaning those, I finally managed to got it to slave and read the drive -- Scanned with Nod32 as a slave = 34 Infections.

Finally after that lot - its booting, all but slow :sleep

NOW start again --- Run Trojan Remover - 24 more.

Currently running Spybot S&D going nuts with infections.

With the rootkits, it may be a fresh install, you can never be 100% sure if they are all gone.

hueybot3000
16-03-2010, 06:09 PM
Theres nothing dangerous about P2P if you know what your doing.

Like if your wanting a particular song and the file is 300k then instead of clicking and thinking yay saving my internet cap, just stop and think. no song worth having is 300k in size

wainuitech
16-03-2010, 06:30 PM
At least 15 of the songs from the customers PC I put just before had file sizes of approx 3.5Mb - 5 Mb in size - and they had the correct names for the song / Artist, but still contained Trojans, so their sizing was about right for a MP3.

Still scanning and its finding several other infections -Oh Hummmmmm!

hueybot3000
16-03-2010, 06:32 PM
Were the "songs" in an audio format though?

Speedy Gonzales
16-03-2010, 06:34 PM
The only thing P2P is good for are techs ;) Theyre probably the only ones, that wont complain. As the saying goes, the more the merrier :banana:clap

wainuitech
16-03-2010, 07:06 PM
Were the "songs" in an audio format though? From what I could see - Yes.

The scanner picked them up while doing a scan from the bootable CD (UBCD4Win) - spybot S&D.

The file names went somthing like -- (Location on drive) - 02-Artist-Songtitle.mp3 / Trojan....

Sweep
16-03-2010, 07:23 PM
I really have no problems with people using Limewire or such.

I get more work that way.

fred_fish
16-03-2010, 07:29 PM
mp3 files are not executable, so the only way you can get infected by it is if your media player (WMP anyone...) runs the code it finds inside.
A decent media player will just ignore it as invalid data.
Or you could rename it to *.exe & give that a go.

wainuitech
16-03-2010, 07:39 PM
Music files are only a small portion of the problems, Usually (and in this case) pirated software - one was adobe photoshop -- Nod32 picked it up as an infection, so one can assume that it wasn't a "legit" photo shop, and more than likely had a "little extra" in the download.;)

There are legit and usually safe P2P downloads, Asus as its been mentioned come to mind, as well as Linux Distros.