PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good Laptop? - Acer Aspire AS5740G-434G64Mn

Alaitoc
14-03-2010, 05:04 PM
Not sure this is the right place to post it but my friend told me to give it a try - bascially what the title says; based on the price and what you get for it, would you get it?
I would also like to know how long you think it would last before becoming outdated; would i be able to get at least 3 years out of this?

Price is $1449NZD

Basic Specs -
15.6"
Core i5 430 2.26Ghz
4G DDR3
640G HDD
ATI 512MB dedicated graphics (5650)
Windows 7 Home Premium-64bit

This is the link to the website - http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=NBKACN5741

hueybot3000
14-03-2010, 05:38 PM
I think gettin 3 years out of any Acer is an ask. But specs should hold up for a while.

What are you planning on using it for?

Renmoo
14-03-2010, 06:33 PM
You can definitely get at least two years out of it.

On this forum, ASUS and Toshiba laptops are the most suggested computers, just so you know. :)

Alaitoc
14-03-2010, 06:41 PM
By - "I think gettin 3 years out of any Acer is an ask. But specs should hold up for a while." - Do you mean that it will break down after 2 years? Or just that it will be outdated?

And i mainly will be using it at university (Microsoft Word, Excel etc, SPSS) and playing the occasional game sometimes.

I've looked at ASUS and Toshiba but their specs are worse than Acer's at this price. (Unless you know of one? Which would be great)

gary67
14-03-2010, 07:52 PM
It's just that Acer tend to use parts of a lesser quality, but if looked after then you could get 3 or more years out of it. It is just the luck of the draw really any laptop or even desktop computer can last anything from one week to many years. I know one particular Acer laptop still going after 5 years. But it doesn't get carried around it sits on a desk the whole time

wainuitech
14-03-2010, 07:59 PM
Some acers are OK some are not, depends on how they are treated ( like any electronic component) I've seen Toshiba's & Asus stuffed withing 18 months.

Some here will say they are rubbish and dont buy them. This year Alone I have had to deal with several Toshiba's with failed components, less than 6 months old.

My own Acer is 7 years old and still plods along fine.

Renmoo
14-03-2010, 08:31 PM
By - "I think gettin 3 years out of any Acer is an ask. But specs should hold up for a while." - Do you mean that it will break down after 2 years? Or just that it will be outdated?

By that, I mean "outdated".

And i mainly will be using it at university (Microsoft Word, Excel etc, SPSS) and playing the occasional game sometimes.

I've looked at ASUS and Toshiba but their specs are worse than Acer's at this price. (Unless you know of one? Which would be great)
Occasional games, would that include Crysis and alike?

Cheers :)

Alaitoc
14-03-2010, 10:25 PM
So do you recommend i extend my 1 year warrenty to 3 then incase a part does break? (This will be my first laptop and i've heard of the expensive repair bills for laptops if something does break.) Or as Jamuz says it will be outdated in 2 years or so; so should i just save my money for a replacement?

Yes i do/did play Crysis + Crysis Warhead tho niether is installed on my pc atm. Though i also play RTS and some RPG as well as FPS. This laptop should be able to run crysis on med i hope.. (and by run i mean with a decent frame rate so its playable)

Sweep
14-03-2010, 10:32 PM
I would not buy extra warranty.

hueybot3000
14-03-2010, 11:40 PM
Whats the extra warranty worth? If you intend to use it for 3 years it wouldnt hurt.

Sweep
14-03-2010, 11:46 PM
The CGA would help and you don't pay extra for that.

hueybot3000
14-03-2010, 11:50 PM
I'm sure that the CGA would be very easy to get around with a laptop, given that they live a relatively hard life compared with most of the more expensive electronics people own

Sweep
15-03-2010, 12:03 AM
That's why things are covered under household insurance too.

gary67
15-03-2010, 05:39 AM
If you have that Sweep then it should but we are talking students here so I doubt it

pctek
15-03-2010, 07:30 AM
Some acers are OK some are not, depends on how they are treated .

What???

How about the fact that they have ECS motherboards.
The failiure rate is high.
Even so, it's not 100%. So of course some survive OK.

Has nothing to do with how it's treated. More like luck and the odds.

Toshibas have a reputation for reliabilty. And seem to last. Mostly.

The only thing I don't like is the unknown components, and what brand PARTS in something is what tells you it's chances of lasting well or not.

Not whatever it says on the outside.

Which is why I prefer to stick with ASUS, at least you know most of it is actually an ASUS part.

wainuitech
15-03-2010, 11:04 AM
Dont tell the person I just got back from seeing this morning that :p

The call went like this -- "My laptops appears to be f***ed -- when it turns on, flickers for ages - then the heap of sh*t turns off."

Went to see it, he turned it on to show me -- flickered and started making an obvious burning smell.:eek:

Its an Asus that was purchased at one of the toaster shops November last year, sits on the table in his flat and doesn't go anywhere -- Simply a warranty job.

Has nothing to do with how it's treated. More like luck and the odds. Disagree -- if a person takes any laptop, treats it rough, throws it on the back seat of a car, Table, Couch, drops it, leaves it sitting in the sun and it heats up - its gonna break, sooner or later, no matter what the make.

SolMiester
15-03-2010, 11:14 AM
Not sure this is the right place to post it but my friend told me to give it a try - bascially what the title says; based on the price and what you get for it, would you get it?
I would also like to know how long you think it would last before becoming outdated; would i be able to get at least 3 years out of this?

Price is $1449NZD

Basic Specs -
15.6"
Core i5 430 2.26Ghz
4G DDR3
640G HDD
ATI 512MB dedicated graphics (5650)
Windows 7 Home Premium-64bit

This is the link to the website - http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=NBKACN5741

Looks like a very powerful laptop to me, reliability is another matter...

FAB
15-03-2010, 02:04 PM
Got a 5-year old Acer still going strong, and it's not been sitting on a desk it's whole life - it spent three months in a backback going around the US, so has not had an easy life, as well as other regular travel.

But yes - other Acers I have seen problems with. Same with all brands but got to say business line of Toshibas are incredibly reliable.

pctek
15-03-2010, 02:18 PM
http://gizmodo.com/5406415/laptop-reliability-study-asus-and-toshiba-come-out-on-top

OK?

wainuitech
15-03-2010, 03:42 PM
Sure Acer may not be as good as Asus/Toshiba, but since when have projections been accurate. ( bit like Norton being the best AV-- Yeah right)

Who really cares --lots of people have different makes of laptops, ( not just Asus or Toshiba) as long as they work and mostly they do, its software that fails, they are quite happy - they dont care about the brand.

As no doubt we have all seen - so called Better brands crap out as well -- take today, the guy with the Asus thats stuffed in less than 6 months. His partners older laptop (dell) is still going strong after several years ( so he said).

pctek
15-03-2010, 04:19 PM
Come on, you know that doesn't mean anything. They fail, not as often as other brands.
Take 1000 of them, then see what the failure rate is.
I care.
I won't recommend anything with **** parts in it nor will I sell anything with **** parts.

CYaBro
15-03-2010, 04:27 PM
Well, the brand we see the most here in the workshop is HP, by a long way. (That's the consumer range of their notebooks - The business range we hardly ever see)
Then Toshiba, Acer & Asus all pretty even in second place.

wainuitech
15-03-2010, 05:42 PM
So far from my own personal experience since I have only ever seen 2 failed Acers. ( from Memory)

The rest as per CYaBro's post.

I care I was referring to the report - You cant always believe very thing you read Eg: Nortons No1 in AV :rolleyes:

I won't recommend anything with **** parts in it nor will I sell anything with **** parts. FULLY agree there :) - Old story, quality usually costs more.

I gave a quote for 4 different models of Asus laptops a month back - in the end they went for a cheaper HP from the warehouse.

Some people go for cheap - and get them from the toaster shops - then as we all know you get calls along the lines of " I brought XYZ -whatever" its Ok isn't it.

Alaitoc
15-03-2010, 08:07 PM
So from all that, i should just get the laptop i have my eye on at that time and disregard brand? Since opinions on any laptop brand seem to go both ways.

The only reason i'm not looking at other brands (I.E - ASUS) is because i can't get the same specs for as i can for a Acer at the same price.
While that implies a bit about the quality of Acers if they did keep breaking down then they would have so many people coming back to fix it with warranties that it would just be better off to make a decent product? So i'm assuming here most Acers are at least decent?

Also is it true that a laptop is most likely to break down in the first year of purchase?

Sweep
15-03-2010, 08:25 PM
I would think if it's really crappy due to parts then yes.
Which is why I wouldn't get an extended warranty.

SolMiester
15-03-2010, 09:37 PM
http://gizmodo.com/5406415/laptop-reliability-study-asus-and-toshiba-come-out-on-top

OK?

2 yr stats dont looks too bad, projections for 3yrs can take a flying leap as far as I'm concerned, they are just crap!

SolMiester
15-03-2010, 09:40 PM
Well, the brand we see the most here in the workshop is HP, by a long way.

Yeah, but how many more HP are sold against the others that you don't see very often...that is a poor comparison mate!

Sweep
15-03-2010, 09:46 PM
And I might add that Compac and HP are the same.

Also who actually makes the parts etc?

utopian201
16-03-2010, 09:19 AM
Well, the brand we see the most here in the workshop is HP, by a long way. (That's the consumer range of their notebooks - The business range we hardly ever see)
Then Toshiba, Acer & Asus all pretty even in second place.

I'd add Lenovo to the reliable list too. I agree with HP's business range (Probook, Elitebook), they are bulletproof.

And I might add that Compac and HP are the same.

Also who actually makes the parts etc?

They are made by a handful of ODM companies. I think Quanta make notebooks for Apple, Dell and HP and is the largest manufacturer (1/3 worldwide market share)

Nomad
16-03-2010, 03:25 PM
Lenovo? :D
They are my fav. Honest. I have bought all my lappies used, 486DX3 (Tosh) and 3 IBM's, P1, P2 and P3 which I am still using. They are great. No dead pixels, no nothing, it just works.

KiwiTT_NZ
16-03-2010, 03:33 PM
Our HPs are good.