PDA

View Full Version : How to tell someone its a scam !

Digby
14-03-2010, 02:21 PM
Hi Guys

I have a friend who is always wanting to get rich (as we all are).
She was on Imesh music system, then got emailed a while ago that she has won their top prize for a competition that she did not even enter.

They emailed her that she has won half of the main prize which is 800,000 euros (NZ 1,600,000 approx). So can she please fill send 800 euros to them so that they can complete a Spanish affadavit, then send her the money by cheque or direct credit.

No matter how many times I tell her it is a scam, she will not believe me, and says that this one is different to all the other scams. Luckily she does not have NZ 1,800 sitting around or I am sure she would send it off.

How can I convince her that this is a scam ?

tweak'e
14-03-2010, 02:24 PM
tell her to tell them to take the 800 euro's out of the prize money ! ! !

there is a few sites which list the scams, see if you can find one.

Speedy Gonzales
14-03-2010, 02:24 PM
I wouldnt bother, trying to tell her. If she wants to waste money, let her find out the hard way, Its like telling people not to use Nortons or P2P programs. Do they listen, no

Marnie
14-03-2010, 02:26 PM
This is what I would say. It's a scam! It's a scam! It's a scam!

Then ask whether she will collect her Nigerian lottery win at the same time.

prefect
14-03-2010, 02:33 PM
May need a bit of slapping to get some sense into her.

GoodHour
14-03-2010, 02:33 PM
I think this scam was on Fair Go last year.

wainuitech
14-03-2010, 02:34 PM
she has won their top prize for a competition that she did not even enter. theres the first hint -- some people are so gullible :groan: if they believe that sort of rubbish, they deserve to get ripped off. Old saying if it seems to good to be true it generally is. have a look through this site (http://www.lookstoogoodtobetrue.com/fraudtypes/sweepstakes.aspx) if she reads that and still insists its legit -- Well a FOOL and their money is soon parted.

IF it were legit, when you enter competitions and theres a fee -Eg: Loto - you will have some sort of receipt, ticket.

To send of money to receive more money -- Well the only one winning there is the scam artist.

pctek
14-03-2010, 03:27 PM
They emailed her that she has won half of the main prize which is 800,000 euros. So can she please fill send 800 euros to them so that they can complete a Spanish affadavit, then send her the money by cheque or direct credit.

How did she become entered in this competition?

Why do they need an affadavit? Consisting of what information?

Why don't they deduct fees from the prize money?

Why would some group enter people all over the world for starters, and without them applying for a ticket in the first place?

Is she blonde?

johcar
14-03-2010, 03:40 PM
If the competition WAS legit (ha!), but she knows she didn't enter the competition, she would be committing fraud by claiming any prizemoney (by knowingly accepting a prize she did not compete for).

The other thing to think about here is that if you respond to these scammers, your email address goes onto the scam/spam lists and you will be inundated with offers to help some poor Nigerian or buy some prescription drug online etc

PPp
14-03-2010, 04:33 PM
You could show her these posts.

R2x1
14-03-2010, 04:45 PM
And explain there is an even bigger prize here, with a ticket bigger than a dish towel, in colour, plus a singing telegram for the lucky winner.
Only $500 to authenticate, free Ginsu knives, plus a chance to buy Parliament Buildings - - - BUT - - - she MUST ring now.

Digby
14-03-2010, 05:09 PM

I intend to !

Thanks guys

Digby
14-03-2010, 05:10 PM
Its like telling people not to use P2P programs.

I do (ssshhh)

Metla
14-03-2010, 05:12 PM
Meh, if allowing herself to be deluded makes her happy then she will do whatever it takes to keep herself happy.

Greg
14-03-2010, 05:19 PM
Perhaps we'll read about her getting a bank loan to spend on the scam, then we'll hear about her getting sued for various unpaid debts.

As mentioned in an earlier post, get her to read this thread.

trinsic
14-03-2010, 05:28 PM
Its textbook scamming and tell her to stop being so bloody delusional.

Show her this: http://forums.imesh.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=391786&sid=24d700024fa09911e9f1ea60991328ad

Zippity
14-03-2010, 05:35 PM
Get her to read (out loud if necessary) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance-fee_fraud

Paul.Cov
15-03-2010, 07:27 PM
The lure of a big bunch of easy money totally floods out any degree of common sense in some people.

I know of a guy who did in his savings on a scam like this, who has since continued to be suckered into sending more money overseas.

Meanwhile, he goes door to door selling vegetables to try to make ends meet.

Helluva nice guy actually, but his own worst enemy when that gulibility and greed mixture come into play.

ubergeek85
15-03-2010, 09:02 PM
As has been said, show her this thread. If she still beleives, tell her she is a moron, repeat as required.

And if she is reading this thread, I mean nothing personal with the 'moron' comment. I get 15+ emails like that a day. I only pay attention to 'you won'-type emails if I actually entered something. Even then, I'm suspicious.

Sweep
15-03-2010, 09:22 PM
Block the sender or domain on the persons computer.

Digby
16-03-2010, 07:33 AM
Block the sender or domain on the persons computer.

Good idea !

PinoyKiw
16-03-2010, 10:25 AM
You can also hassle these scammers and lonely russian women who send you there pictures.

If the email from the scammer contains a Yahoo or Hotmail reply to address in the body of the message, you can report this to abuse at Yahoo or Hotmail and they seem to take reasonably quick action in closing down the account.

Of course, these scammers will have heaps of email addresses being used so closing down one email account will probably still leave another 100 similair one's open.

No idea of what Gmail, AOL etc do in regards to scammer reports as they never reply with any action taken.

And todays scam's include someone in Sydney who is dying of cancer, I would visit him personally but the hospital reports no such patient, the manager himself of the bank of Nigeria offering me a share of x number of millions and wanting to emigrate to my country to spend his share, some widow on the Ivory Coast offering me share of her husbands wealth, 2 messages from the FBI advising that they have secured my funds, one ATM card, and Toyota advising that I have won a brand new Prado, just have to pick it up from Nigeria.

And it is only 9am here in Sydney, what other wonderful offerings will be in my email by tonight. ? No next of kin emails so far today.

robbyp
16-03-2010, 03:11 PM
The other scam that is doing the rounds, is SEO scams out of india.

Cicero
16-03-2010, 03:55 PM
I had one recently,which I blocked 3 times,persistent little devils.

ubergeek85
17-03-2010, 09:31 AM
I got this one today. Think it will lend some credibility to this thread;

From Information Desk:
Lotto Center.
70,Van Eeghenstraat, 1071GK
Amsterdam,The Netherlands.

Dear Winner,

We are glad to announce your selection in our Internet Lottery draws.You Have Won 1,000,000 Euros. This is a reward program for the patronage of internet services and all email addresses entered for this promotional draws were randomly selected from an internet resource database of registered software and domain users; therefore you do not need to buy ticket for it.

Your email address attached to Reference. Number: WIN/08/05/29673/MH and Batch No: 57Z62188893651, drew in the 2nd category,have been approved for the star prize of 1,000,000.00 EUROS(One Million EUROS).

For further inquiry,please contact our paying Bank,with your Name,Telephone number and your Reference Number: WIN/08/05/29673/MH ,to:
Contact Email: bnksnsbv@aol.com
Contact Tel: +31-645-232-209
Contact Person: Dr.Josep Young.

If you are receiving this notice for the first time, Note: because of our commitment to ensuring that winners receive their fund on time, that you will cotinue to receive reminders until final transfer of your prize money to your nominated account.

Due to mix up of some numbers and names, we ask that you keep your wining information confidential until your claim has been processed and your money remitted to you. This is part of our security protocols to avoid double claims and unwarranted abuse of this program by some participants.

Congratulations from our Management & Staff.

Yours faithfully,
Caroline Laroche (Co-ordinator).
From Lotto center-The Netherlands.

prefect
17-03-2010, 10:52 AM
Geekster you lucky hua you are rich. All you have to do is send an administration payment probably around 800 guilders and you will rolling in it.
Your shout at the pub. Some people have all the luck.

ubergeek85
17-03-2010, 10:54 AM
Somehow I think that they're using 9-dimensional maths in this. €1,000,000 = -€800.