PDA

View Full Version : Can't Install OS

cybernerd
14-03-2010, 12:19 PM
I'm trying to do a fresh install of Win Xp on a larger HDD, a W.D. 500GB. The HDD is OK is formatted. Xp loads then at the first boot is just keeps starting the load cycle over again. If I change the boot order to HDD first it says OS unable to load.

The HDD I know is good because when I use it as a secondary drive I can store and retrieve data to and from it.

Speedy Gonzales
14-03-2010, 12:23 PM
You're not pressing a key every time it reboots, when it says to press a key are you?? Because you don't. You only press a key the first time, then when it reboots, leave it till it gets to the next screen. Otherwise, it'll start all over again from the beginning. Altho, this may happen if the mobo / system is old, and the BIOS doesn't work with a hdd that big. Whats the brand/model of the mobo?

cybernerd
14-03-2010, 12:32 PM
Hi Speedy

The MoBo is new, Gigabyte M61PME-S2p. I think I am pressing a button before the red line disappears.

Speedy Gonzales
14-03-2010, 12:34 PM
? What red line ? When you put the cd in the first time, it'll say to press a key, this is the only time you press a key. It'll reboot 3-4 times after that. Every time it reboots, just let it continue (dont press a key again)

cybernerd
14-03-2010, 12:41 PM
When it says PC will reboot in 14 seconds, if you press a key it starts sooner

Speedy Gonzales
14-03-2010, 12:45 PM
That should be ok, but you're not pressing a key after it reboots when it tells you to press a key are you?

Erayd
14-03-2010, 03:11 PM
I'm trying to do a fresh install of Win Xp on a larger HDD, a W.D. 500GB. The HDD is OK is formatted. Xp loads then at the first boot is just keeps starting the load cycle over again. If I change the boot order to HDD first it says OS unable to load.
How far through the install process are you getting - do you reach any stage that asks for user input, or does it just endlessly cycle?
How is the drive attached to the PC - is this a SATA drive?
Assuming this is a SATA drive - have you checked the interface settings for it in the BIOS? This should be set to ATA / IDE, *not* AHCI (also known as native SATA), as the XP installer is incapable of talking to drives using AHCI.
What was displayed on the screen before it reached the 'Reboot in XX seconds' step?