PDA

View Full Version : Toshiba Laptop XP recovery

kjaada
14-03-2010, 09:23 AM
I have linux on a Toshiba satellite lappy and none of the function keys work.If I reformat the linux partition will the functions work so I can recover the XP system which is still on the recovery partition ?

nedkelly
14-03-2010, 09:25 AM
Some laptops actually require a piece of software to make the function keys work

kjaada
14-03-2010, 10:18 AM
My primary objective is to reinstall XP from the recovery partition.

nedkelly
14-03-2010, 10:20 AM
hmm if it is the recovery partition that came with the laptop then maybe all the drivers are there as well.

Speedy Gonzales
14-03-2010, 10:36 AM
Connect the hdd to a working system, and see if there are ISO's in the recovery partition. If theyre there, burn them

kjaada
14-03-2010, 11:05 AM
I do not think we are on the same wavelength here:
The owner does not want linux any more but the XP recovery partition is intact.SO if we remove linux will the recovery for XP come up if I hold down '0' on the next start up ??????
I do not want alternatives but an answer to that specific question.
We do not have the Toshiba recovery CD's which would make it all much simpler.

Speedy Gonzales
14-03-2010, 11:09 AM
I have no idea,if it'll work or not. Try it and find out. But the easiest way, is to remove the hdd and put it in a working system, then create the cd/s. If there are ISO's on the partition. Then you'll have the recovery CD/s

Agent_24
14-03-2010, 11:11 AM
You should be able to boot the recovery partition regardless if the Linux partition is formatted or not

Unless the Linux install overwrote something that is needed for the recovery partition to start.

What is the usual procedure for starting the computer from the recovery partition?

kjaada
14-03-2010, 11:25 AM
You should be able to boot the recovery partition regardless if the Linux partition is formatted or not

Unless the Linux install overwrote something that is needed for the recovery partition to start.

What is the usual procedure for starting the computer from the recovery partition?

The usual procedure is to hold down "0" at start up and that brings up nothing.So something has been overwritten BUT if I remove linux will it reappear.
Surely someone else has had this problem ?????.

Speedy:There is no way she will let me near her lappy with a screwdriver in my hand

Agent_24
14-03-2010, 11:35 AM
Whatever has been overwritten is gone now. Removing Linux won't magically bring it back, unless you have a backup of it.

I assume when you installed Linux you had Grub installed. Do you get any option to boot anything other than Linux when you turn on the PC?

KarameaDave
14-03-2010, 11:42 AM
When Linux is running can you mount and read the recovery partition?
If so look in it for the .iso files which speedy mentioned.
If you can then burn these you can use them to reinstall the factory image.
Otherwise you may need to borrow an XP install disc from someone.

kjaada
14-03-2010, 11:59 AM
Whatever has been overwritten is gone now. Removing Linux won't magically bring it back, unless you have a backup of it.

I assume when you installed Linux you had Grub installed. Do you get any option to boot anything other than Linux when you turn on the PC?

I did not install the linux OS but on boot there is the option to boot Windows but it will not boot.

Speedy Gonzales
14-03-2010, 12:12 PM
Well if 0 or whatever F key doesnt work and linux isnt on it, there's not much else you can do. If the recovery partition / recovery option doesnt work.If she wants it to work, then you'll have to remove the hdd. Whether she likes it or not

kjaada
14-03-2010, 12:36 PM
I have given up and she has gone to "one of those people who charge heaps"
Thanks to everyone any way.

feersumendjinn
14-03-2010, 12:50 PM
Alternatively you could have tried installing Xp temporarily on the boot partition, and any drivers necessary, then reboot and install from your recovery partition (assuming that was still usable).

wainuitech
14-03-2010, 01:23 PM
Did you actuallt try it the Correct way with the 0 key - according to Toshiba:
To access the Toshiba recovery partition, power off the laptop. Hold down the 0 (zero) key and turn the laptop on. Keep holding down the zero key until the TOSHIBA logo appears, where you should start tapping the zero key repeatedly. Stop if the unit beeps or when the TOSHIBA logo disappears. The screen should flash ** HDD RECOVERY MODE ** for a split second, then load the Toshiba recovery program right from the hard drive. You dont just hold down the 0 Key you have to keep tapping it as well.
I have given up and she has gone to "one of those people who charge heaps" Maybe because they have the knowledge and the equipment to actually repair - reinstall XP. ANY place who knows what they are doing will have everything required = charging.

Edited: having Linux on shouldn't have made any difference - Done that myself plenty of times with damaged OS's even blown away the OS partition - the recovery as long as thats not damaged as well,(which may be the case here) should automatically recreate it and install.