PDA

View Full Version : Happy/unhappy Xnet customers.

Nomad
12-03-2010, 09:04 PM
Are you happy?

lakewoodlady
12-03-2010, 09:10 PM
Is this a poll?
I was very happy with Xnet till last year I began to be charged $20 more per month for my Fusion plan just because Telecom and the commerce commission decided that Taupo was a rural area and therefore attracted the higher charge. Xnet said they couldn't do anything about it. But I wonder if I changed to any other ISP, would it be any different?

There, you wanted to know.

LL

Nomad
12-03-2010, 09:17 PM
Thanks LL. :)

I am seriously looking at another provider.

This might be the 4th year I am with Xnet.
First 2 year been great then it deteriorated. I am not looking for super speeds, I am on their 256k speeds after being on their FS/256k, for whatever reason I can only get 2 or was it 3Mbit. I am just sick of their outages. I been with Clear Net and Zfree (remember them!) and they were fine.

I like Xnet's prices but if I can hit it around 3GB a month I guess I won't lose much if I under use that and assuming most of them still charge you the full 3GB.

--Wolf--
12-03-2010, 09:19 PM
Where is "I have had issues and am planning on changing"

Used to be way up there. Gone to **** bad.

Speedy Gonzales
12-03-2010, 09:26 PM
Well I would like to change, BUT if there are no other ISP's that let you pay for what you use ONLY. That may never happen. You forgot 1. Youre with Xnet, but youre stuck lol

nedkelly
12-03-2010, 09:37 PM
I have no plans to change.

Metla
12-03-2010, 09:44 PM
Definitely unhappy, and may change.

Speeds are way way down, Many sites are unusable, and Xnet have informed me that they consider the speeds they are providing to be "actually pretty good"

Tui anyone?

Nomad
12-03-2010, 09:45 PM
Failed just at 9.30pm.
Just on the phone and the guy asked me to reset my router.

Then he asked me to uninstall the software cos, in control panel I should not see "Internet Gateway" next to my LAN connection.

Then he says if it happens again, my computer is broken, take it to a PC Tech :D

Nomad
12-03-2010, 09:47 PM
Where is "I have had issues and am planning on changing"

Used to be way up there. Gone to **** bad.

Still deciding? :D

Speedy Gonzales
12-03-2010, 09:51 PM
lol Xnet wouldn't know know what theyre talking about, if it bit them on the a$$. Be alright if they admitted that its crap, But they'll rather blame the customer, and rip you off instead. Uninstall what software? You dont install any. Well I didnt apart from windows

Nomad
12-03-2010, 09:55 PM
Yeah I said, the router didn't come with a install CD.

I said it might be part of windows. I was trying to play dumb as well...
He said, oh then you shouldn't uninstall it if might be part of windows, haha ... :p

Router is reset and it works, let's see how long :D

Speedy Gonzales
12-03-2010, 10:00 PM
Ah yer, I think this came with a CD. But I've never used it. I think I chucked it in the bin

Nomad
12-03-2010, 10:08 PM
I think it had a CD but it was just PDF stuff .. I did browse the CD ....

nedkelly
12-03-2010, 10:20 PM
I wonder why the modem and router manufacturers put cds in with their products if all it does is save them printing a manual out seeing as it is all web based configuration?

Speedy Gonzales
12-03-2010, 10:27 PM
Its so ISP's will blame you for installing it, to give you a lame excuse, that its the prob. If your speed is slow lol. Even if you dont use it

beeswax34
13-03-2010, 12:16 AM
Well I would like to change, BUT if there are no other ISP's that let you pay for what you use ONLY. That may never happen. You forgot 1. Youre with Xnet, but youre stuck lol

Ditto. Would love to move to Orcon etc but kinda stuck

pctek
13-03-2010, 08:46 AM
I never had a problem with them, even when everyone else was complaining about the speeds. Still I only used it during business hours.

My home BB is with Ihug, mainly because it was a packagae deal and I can't find a reason to chnage it so far.

Nomad
13-03-2010, 10:29 AM
http://www.xnet.co.nz/hsi/linecheck.shtml

Does this work for anyone?

Speedy Gonzales
13-03-2010, 10:33 AM
No it doesnt work

lakewoodlady
13-03-2010, 10:35 AM
I see that Xnet now have a separate homepage to WxC. No explanation about it on the site, I just had to try to find it through Google. Thought that was a bit poor. Maybe it was on a previous account and I somehow missed reading it.

I have emailed Orcon twice in the last month asking about their plans, but so far nothing.
Slingshot cannot give me an answer as to when "Next Big Thing" will be available in Taupo. We are hardly in the backblocks here! I think I'm just about fed up with the lot of them!

LL

lakewoodlady
13-03-2010, 10:40 AM
http://www.xnet.co.nz/hsi/linecheck.shtml

Does this work for anyone?

Hmmmm........... How long is a moment meant to be? Just tried checking for my neighbour's number and it is still trying to find it I think.......

LL

R2x1
13-03-2010, 10:50 AM
The moments are not melting here either.

LL: By your sig, I assume your travels have taken you through an airport body scanner?

lakewoodlady
13-03-2010, 10:56 AM
The moments are not melting here either.

LL: By your sig, I assume your travels have taken you through an airport body scanner?

Well it wouldn't show anything of interest at my age.

LL

R2x1
13-03-2010, 11:00 AM
Depends on the age and gender of the eagle eyed scanner operator I suppose :blush:

McChief
13-03-2010, 11:02 AM
We were with Xnet for about 4 years and initially very happy with the speed and their service. In the last 12 months the speed down to less than dial up during peak periods and 3mbs off peak. The service desk advised that there is congestion in our area (Tauranga) during peak periods, that Telecom provide them with the maximum bandwidth required by the Commerce Commission and that they were trying to negotiate with Telecom for more bandwidth but could not give me a time frame. We therefore switched to Orcon and getting better speeds but still nowhere near what indicated.

Safari
13-03-2010, 11:09 AM
Xnet will get the amount of bandwidth that they are prepared to pay for.

Metla
13-03-2010, 11:42 AM

And thats the nutshell.

nedkelly
13-03-2010, 12:04 PM
Just think what would have happened if Telecom had never been able to get a monopoly going in nz

R2x1
13-03-2010, 12:10 PM
Perhaps they could have bought one really cheaply?

Sherman
13-03-2010, 01:52 PM
I am still with Xnet after signing up in 2007.

Basically, I find that daytime speeds are actually really good (I have no trouble hitting 7Mbits/s), but evening and some weekends can be abysmal at times :(

However, I am on fusion, so choices are limited. There's Snap, and there's Slingshot. Neither of them really work out any cheaper (or more expensive - at least under 30GB anyway), but Xnet is still more flexible.

Also, I have a friend who brings his laptop around (a uni student) when he wants to do some major downloading, and I can charge him the exact amount that he uses in bandwidth costs, all without worrying about any data cap.

robbyp
14-03-2010, 11:17 PM

International speeds are basically based on the ISP and how much capacity on the southern cross cable they are prepared to pay for. If ISPs had an unlimited budget to buy capacity on it, there would be no slow down. The ratio of users to bandwidth are quite high with cheaper ISPs.