PDA

View Full Version : XP won't go futher than the loading screen

davidmmac
12-03-2010, 06:44 PM
It started on Wednesday.

Went into the room to use the computer and although the computer was running the monitor said "No Signal" when I tried moving the mouse and whacking the keyboard.

I managed to boot in Safe mode, but these strange static verticle yellow lines were going down the screen. I tried a repair install and that resulted in getting as far as the desktop loading, but a lovely error presented me (one of the ones with some really long random number that no one is ever going to remember).

So I gave in and did a clean install which thankfully worked, until last night. It was the same scenario as in the first paragraph, nothing would appear on the screen. I got into safe mode and did a System Restore, which hasn't worked :(.

Any ideas? I'm absolutely stuck and anyhelp would be greatly appreciated :).

wainuitech
12-03-2010, 07:50 PM
Gut feeling you may have a failing HDD, esp after a fresh install and plays up right away again. One reason could be bad sectors on the drive.

Download the HDD tester for your make of Drive from the manufacture and see what that comes up with.

To get that Error code ( which will be helpful) start the PC, keep tapping F8, when the options appear, select "disable restart on system Failure" this will stop at the BSOD and you can write down the error code 0x0000XX

ryanjames.powell
12-03-2010, 07:55 PM
It sounds like you could have a hardware problem. By the sound of those vertical lines, it may have something to do with the Graphics Card. Also consider, did you install a driver update of any kind just before the computer stopped working? If so, roll back that driver in safe mode (through device manager).

davidmmac
12-03-2010, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.

In answer to rolling back a driver and finding that error code: I did a clean install on Thursday, thus I can't fid that error code and I'm sure I didn't install a driver in the days before doing a clean install.

Running Seatools at the moment, it passed the short test fine but the long test is currently running.

Edit: I'm running the Seatools boot disk and the yellow lines aren't currently on the screen :), but they are slightly noticable when loading XP normally (through the logo before the screen says "no signal").

feersumendjinn
12-03-2010, 08:41 PM
Is the computer using integrated graphics, if so you could have a system ram problem (is shared with graphics), may be causing your graphics corruption and your boot failures.

Agent_24
12-03-2010, 09:11 PM
Gut feeling you may have a failing HDD, esp after a fresh install and plays up right away again.

With yellow lines going down the screen my feeling would be leaning towards a faulty video card...

That would also explain the continued problems after a reinstall...

davidmmac
12-03-2010, 09:17 PM
Computer has integrated graphics but it is not used as there is an Asus 7600GS.

Might try removing graphics card and running off internal just to see what happens.

Sea tools found no errors in either short or long tests.

davidmmac
12-03-2010, 09:31 PM
OK, thanks to you guys I think I've found the problem :clap

It was indeed a faulty graphics card, after booting up the computer loaded fine :banana.

Many thanks for your guys help :thanks

Of to buy a (cheap) new graphics card then :).

wainuitech
12-03-2010, 11:01 PM
With yellow lines going down the screen my feeling would be leaning towards a faulty video card...

That would also explain the continued problems after a reinstall...Lines down the screen can be caused by several things, in this case it may have been a graphic card, but other components can do the same. Seen it happen many times. Ive seen more faulty HDD's cause damaged OS's than graphic Cards.

Agent_24
13-03-2010, 08:18 AM
Lines down the screen can be caused by several things, in this case it may have been a graphic card, but other components can do the same. Seen it happen many times. Ive seen more faulty HDD's cause damaged OS's than graphic Cards.

I agree with that, HDD and RAM faults are more likely to cause corruption - but how many times does a faulty HDD cause yellow lines down the screen?

wainuitech
13-03-2010, 09:19 AM
Faulty HDD's if failing, = corruption =faults showing on the screen. I actually have another PC here right now with bad drives giving weird displays. The graphics have been tested on other PC's and they are fine.
Any component can give off strange effects.

Example: yesterday a PC suddenly shuts down while using, no blue screen nothing just wham - shutdown and reboots, runs ok for anything from 5 minutes to several hours, then starts all over again -- What do you think the problem was ????

Agent_24
13-03-2010, 12:33 PM
Faulty HDD's if failing, = corruption =faults showing on the screen. I actually have another PC here right now with bad drives giving weird displays. The graphics have been tested on other PC's and they are fine.
Any component can give off strange effects.

Example: yesterday a PC suddenly shuts down while using, no blue screen nothing just wham - shutdown and reboots, runs ok for anything from 5 minutes to several hours, then starts all over again -- What do you think the problem was ????

Sorry yes you are right, brain obviously wasn't working properly :blush:

wainuitech
13-03-2010, 12:48 PM
Thats cool :thumbs: Sometimes the strangest things happen, some times its trial and error, other times its more obvious.

To answer the question I put about the shutdown -- First thought it may be PSU (changed that) or Board = NOPE.

In the end it was actually the Optical Drive, possibly causing a short circuit -- if you felt the DVD drive right after it shut down right where the power plugs in it was bloody HOT - then when running normally it was fine.

Only found that out when I grabbed the PC and a finger touched that part of the drive - WTF - - Changed the Drive and hasn't shut down since. -- Weird fault eh! ;)

Agent_24
13-03-2010, 01:10 PM
In the end it was actually the Optical Drive, possibly causing a short circuit -- if you felt the DVD drive right after it shut down right where the power plugs in it was bloody HOT - then when running normally it was fine.

Wasn't a Samsung was it? Probably the short circuit was tripping the PSU over-current protection...

wainuitech
13-03-2010, 01:17 PM
Wasn't a Samsung was it? Probably the short circuit was tripping the PSU over-current protection...Lite-On, and I suspect that was the problem.

Agent_24
14-03-2010, 09:15 AM
just wondering, my friend had issues with his Samsung DVD drive after a motherboard upgrade.

It was only after we swapped the drive we noticed it didn't smell right.

On closer inspection there was a large burnt blob of what probably used to be a component on the pickup board