PDA

View Full Version : Windows xp won't start

mmmork
12-03-2010, 06:24 PM
Hi

Was using my machine this morning, left the room, came back & the thing is dead. Restarted & the menu for safe mode/last config/normal etc comes up. 1st try the win XP startup screen comes up..but after a couple of secs the pc restarts, goes back to the menu screen, & the process begins again. After several attempts I did get into win in safe mode. Unfortunately I had to leave for work & just exited.

Now I can't get into windows at all, the same cycle repeats. The difference being the windows screen (the one with the horizontally moving bar) is extremely slow. Other than that it cycles through to the menu each time. There IS a blue screen in between, but it flicks too quickly to read.

AMD 245, 2 gb ram, windows XP

Have tried reinstalling windows to do a repair. Starts off ok, but after the initial setup, a blue screen (sorry, didn't take it all down) comes up, the main msg was ftdisk.sys corrupt.

Figured it was the harddrive, so stuck another one with win XP in. Same exact symptoms. Hardware is different to the windows config on that disk, but weirdly I don't even get to that issue, just the restart cycle as described above.

Took the ram stick out & reseated.

I'm using the machine to type this - linux mint live disk, which sees the HD and files on it just fine.

Any suggestions?

Speedy Gonzales
12-03-2010, 07:16 PM
Put the hdd in a working system, with XP on it. And replace ftdisk.sys. Does it have a service pack on it?

mmmork
12-03-2010, 07:39 PM
Put the hdd in a working system, with XP on it. And replace ftdisk.sys. Does it have a service pack on it?

Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow. The fact the same thing happens when I swap out the HDD entirely might mean the ftdisk thing is a bit of a red herring, but I will do it.

It's XP (legal) with SP3 and all updates.

Speedy Gonzales
12-03-2010, 07:43 PM
Do both computers have SP3 on them ? If both do, it should be fine (if thats the only file that crashes)

mmmork
13-03-2010, 12:31 PM
Can't put the new hdd anywhere, old machine doesn't have sata sockets. I did transfer ftdisk.sys however, but no difference, still the same cycle of windows starting then flicking off.

Tried another reinstall, error msg is
A problem has been detected & windows has shut down to prevent damage...start safe mode etc. Under technical information Stop 0x0000007E (0xc0000005, 0xf77594A4, 0xF78D202C, 0xF78D1D28)

Kbdclass.sys - address F77594A4 base at F7757000, datestamp 41107b08

Speedy Gonzales
13-03-2010, 12:42 PM
Any logitech software installed? Like software for the keyboard? If there is, uninstall it, then update it. A driver for it, maybe corrupt

wainuitech
13-03-2010, 12:54 PM
Have you run a Memory Test through it, if not get memtest86 (http://www.memtest86.com/download.html), you will need to burn it with an ISO program to CD - boot from that CD let it run, anything in Red means failed memory. Bad memory can cause that error / stop message.

mmmork
13-03-2010, 01:34 PM
Doing the memtest now. Whole thing is red with errors approaching a million. This could be a clue :stare:

Why would linux seem to work fine though?

No logitech stuff. As far as drivers go, how would I go about uninstalling stuff without being able to start win, even in safe mode?

Guess I should buy a ram stick. Any recommendations for online buying? 2gb ddr2

Speedy Gonzales
13-03-2010, 01:36 PM
Shouldnt matter what you get. As long as it fits

wainuitech
13-03-2010, 03:02 PM
Doing the memtest now. Whole thing is red with errors approaching a million Two things do that.
Make sure the RAM is seated correctly, incorrectly seated RAM is a NoNo
Its toast / Stuffed/ -- Needs replacing = RIP

Edited: As Speedy said, any RAM should Do as long as its not a name Brand PC, Eg: Compaq - they can be fussy buggers sometimes as to certain brands.

Kingston is a good reasonable RAM - not to expensive either.

Prob pay to get the same speed you have now, either 400/553/667/800 Most of the time the faster speeds will clock down, but sometimes they dont.

mmmork
15-03-2010, 04:49 PM
An Update;

Installed a new RAM stick & it appears to now be working fine, thanks for the assistance.

Still don't get why linux was running on the faulty ram though.