PDA

View Full Version : ADSL Problems

dagangsta
12-03-2010, 04:39 PM
I have a pc, modem and router connected at one part of my house. I want to move the computer and router to another room. I plug in the modem but the "DSL" light wont go so my internet wont work. i am on telecom broadband. would i be able to do this my self or do i need to tell telecom........

wratterus
12-03-2010, 04:42 PM
Do you have a jackpoint in the other room wired especially for ADSL? If not, as long as you have everything filtered properly it should work.

dagangsta
12-03-2010, 04:47 PM
No, I dont think its wired for adsl. do I have to get Telecom to do it or can I do it myself. I think it should be free because telecom came and did everything when I moved in and probably only set it up in one room so that's probably why. They should of done it in all the rooms.

CYaBro
12-03-2010, 05:07 PM
No, I dont think its wired for adsl. do I have to get Telecom to do it or can I do it myself. I think it should be free because telecom came and did everything when I moved in and probably only set it up in one room so that's probably why. They should of done it in all the rooms.

Not if they have installed a master ADSL splitter, which is the best way to do it.
It sounds like that is what they have done so the ADSL will only work in that one phone jack and none of the others unless they are rewired.
Telecom won't do that for free and nore will anyone else.

Billy T
12-03-2010, 05:15 PM

The ADSL line is a straight feed with no filtering and if they installed or modified a dedicated jack especially for your ADSL then they will have fitted a single filter to supply phone service-only to all other outlets.

Sounds like they did exactly what you asked, so if you want ADSL in another room you may have to get another outlet installed. If you had a phone off that jack it would have needed a filter in series with it.

ADSL outlets have no filtering, phone outlets are filtered to remove the ADSL signal and to prevent loading of the ADSL itself. If you wanted to be able to use any outlet for ADSL you should have told them that at the time of installation and a different system would have been used.

You want it changed, you'll have to pay or do it yourself.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

PinoyKiw
12-03-2010, 05:25 PM
How easy and how tidy would it look if you ran a cable discretely around the edge of the walls to where the ADSL Point is, or would that not be possible.

That is of course only a work around, may or may not work for you.

custom
12-03-2010, 07:12 PM
How easy and how tidy would it look if you ran a cable discretely around the edge of the walls to where the ADSL Point is, or would that not be possible.

That is of course only a work around, may or may not work for you.

Should be no need to extra cable as phone cable normally has two or more pairs of cable inside, so could use one pair for filtered and one pair for ADSL, just a matter of rewiring the existing wiring