PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Office / Norton Anti-Virus licencing

PaulBNZ
12-03-2010, 02:37 PM
Hi there,

First off, everything I am proposing here is legit, i.e I have genuine copies of all the products mentioned here and am not asking for people to detail ways to perform illegal manipulations on software.

My question....
If I wanted to either reformat my PC or install a new OS on it (i.e Windows Vista to Windows 7) is there a way of preserving my Norton and Microsoft Office licence so that I can re-install it on my 'new' machine and not use up an install off the licence or have to purchase a brand new licence at great expense? I already know how to do this for Windows Vista (via Orev's Clean Install Guide) however although I have done this once before I now have software on here I do not want to lose.

My guess is there must be a way to do this, also without involving Microsoft, or else no one would ever reformat their computer at all?

Hope that explains what I am trying to do!

Thanks for your help,

Paul

Speedy Gonzales
12-03-2010, 02:41 PM
If the offrice key is legit, I cant see any probs reactivating it. If you have probs ring MS and tell them, you've changed / upgraded. If you dont want to involve MS, dont use Office

SolMiester
12-03-2010, 03:03 PM
You dont get a person on the other end when you call ms for activation, least i havent in years of use....

Driftwood
12-03-2010, 03:10 PM
I did last time & he was very helpful too.

Speedy Gonzales
12-03-2010, 03:17 PM
Yup choose the automated service. I've done it 4-5 times. It'll ask you for the number type it in, it'll give you the code. Thats it

PaulBNZ
12-03-2010, 03:24 PM
Awesome, thanks guys! So presumably they don't mind doing this then? Anyone have a similar experience with Norton?

Speedy Gonzales
12-03-2010, 03:25 PM
The automated service is for Office not Nortons. I dont think anyone here uses Nortons

wainuitech
12-03-2010, 03:47 PM
From Customers experiences with Norton-- Call them, wait - :sleep Finally get through to someone - generally its the wrong person - Wait till you get transferred - :sleep Jump through hoops as they try to locate your license, then get transferred again :sleep THEN finally get told they are unable to transfer the license.

Person gives up and gets a better Anti-Virus.

Customer service is terrible ( and people think Telecoms bad) ;)

nedkelly
12-03-2010, 04:15 PM
My experience with Norton's Helpdesk was better then my experience with Telecom's one

lakewoodlady
12-03-2010, 07:22 PM
My experience with Norton's Helpdesk was better then my experience with Telecom's one

Must be one of the few.

LL

pctek
13-03-2010, 08:54 AM
is there a way of preserving my Norton licence so that I can re-install it on my 'new' machine

Nortons. For all the good it does you you are better off having nothing at all on the PC.
It does nothing for your protection and often causes other issues as well.

The best place for it is the rubbish bin.