PDA

View Full Version : Moving C: drive and renaming it

Knownothing
12-03-2010, 05:33 AM
I have a 160GB IDE drive which is partitioned into 30GB and 130GB. The C: Local drive is on the 30GB partition which has my Windows operating system. The 130GB has my program installs and data on it.
I have another 80GB IDE drive which I want to move all of C: drive to, so I can have more space for the C: and increase the 130GB to its original 160GB size.
At the moment my system boots from the 30GB drive.
Moving the contents of the 30GB drive to the 80GB drive, how do I do this easily please?
Obviously the 80GB drive will have to become the new C: drive, how do I do this easily please?
I would then have to format the old C: drive (30GB IDE) and remove the partition to make the 130GB drive back into its original 160GB full size. What is the easiest way of doing this please?

What programs are there I can use to do these tasks easily?
I have heard of Partition Magic, Norton's Ghost. Where can I get these from please?
Are these programs reliable for what I want to do?

I run Windows XP Pro and have 2 people logged and passworded onto it.

I would prefer not to have to re-install my programs please!!

Many Thanks in advance

gary67
12-03-2010, 05:46 AM
You need to clone it to the new 80 disk if it's a WD or Seagate then they have their own cloning tool that you can download which is really a cut down version of Acronis true immage, or for another free program there is Macrium reflect. Cloning means you won't have to re install anything as a clone is just that a complete copy of everything on the drive

Agent_24
12-03-2010, 09:16 AM
Whatever you use it needs to be able to copy just the partition and not the entire drive, and also has to be able to resize it (expand to fit the new drive)

If you leave the 160GB connected the first time you boot up the new drive, you may find that your new C: drive is not C:

Might be useful: http://www.downloadsquad.com/2008/09/05/5-free-apps-to-clone-your-hard-drive/

Knownothing
16-03-2010, 06:29 AM
Thank you for your info.
I'm not sure what make my drives are
I will have a look at the website.

Thanks very much.

fred_fish
16-03-2010, 06:57 AM
Make sure you have a backup and know exactly what you are going to do before you do it.
A misunderstanding while using a partitioning program will permanently remove all your data.