PDA

View Full Version : wlan mini pcie compatible with express card34?

homer.simpson
11-03-2010, 04:14 PM
Hello everybody,

i just bought a laptop that comes with expresscard port? however, i want to use my own wlan mini pcie. is it compatible?

thanks a lot!

homer simpson

nedkelly
11-03-2010, 06:39 PM
what laptop?Mini pci port cards will not fit in a expresscard port. If you just bought the laptop it should have a wireless card already installed in it

homer.simpson
11-03-2010, 07:46 PM
thanks a lot neighbour ned for the reply

my laptop is toshiba A500/02J. yes, it comes with wifi realtek 8192se. unfortunately, its performance under linux is unreliable. so i decided to go and buy intel wlan mini pcie. is there some sort of adapter or something for this?

sorry, i don't have much experience with laptop.
thanks again.

regards,
homer simpson

Agent_24
11-03-2010, 07:46 PM
Like Nedkelly says, Mini-PCIe and ExpressCard are completely different.

The PCIe is internal, the ExpressCard is for external devices, same as Cardbus or PCMCIA.

As far as I know there are no adaptors to let you use an internal card in a removable slot like ExpressCard.

(There are however some PCI cards that provide ExpressCard slots etc for desktop computers)

If your laptop has got a Mini-PCIe slot, you can probably take out the card in there and install the one you have now.

Otherwise, you would have to get an ExpressCard WiFi card or USB one.

homer.simpson
11-03-2010, 07:52 PM
thanks agent24 for the reply

i googled but cant find if it's really got a mini pcie or not. does it worth opening the laptop and find it for myself?

cheers,

homer

Agent_24
11-03-2010, 08:26 PM
You could but you would void warranty and may break something if you don't know what you're doing - your choice - but then if you were installing a new card you'd have to do it anyway.

If you're worried about that, you should probably just get a USB WiFi adaptor.

Have you tried Toshiba's website or asking them?

Miami Steve
12-03-2010, 09:42 AM
Woops - wrong end of the stick - thought this thread was about mince pies and espresso :lol: