PDA

View Full Version : Entrepreneurs announce $900m fast broadband plan

Trev
11-03-2010, 03:32 PM
Click Here. (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=10631374)

R2x1
11-03-2010, 03:39 PM
Wow, they will have to compete with Telecom - that should pretty much guarantee they will have more goodwill than any cable company in history.

It sounds like a win for consumers - what will telecon do now? Demand protective tariffs?

If it works, the mint will have to strike a new smiley.

Trev
11-03-2010, 03:40 PM
Sounds good. We will have to wait and see.
:)

Chilling_Silence
11-03-2010, 04:12 PM
Very cool stuff, though the current capacity of the SCC is nowhere near maxed, I think its more the per-GB cost that's the issue? I'm not fully educated however so don't take that as gospel ...

Cicero
11-03-2010, 04:24 PM
Not quite on the cards I see,so no breath holding.

robbyp
11-03-2010, 05:20 PM
Very cool stuff, though the current capacity of the SCC is nowhere near maxed, I think its more the per-GB cost that's the issue? I'm not fully educated however so don't take that as gospel ...

Yeah, I have heard that it is nowhere near capacity either, so not sure what they are on about. To spend 1 billion on a cable plus maintenance , you would have to have high prices to get a return on that investment. Also Kordia aka NZ govs ISP, are building one...supposedly. Don't think NZ can afford to pay for it, not for NZs small population. The only advantage is extra redundancy if anything happens to the southern cross one.

R2x1
11-03-2010, 05:29 PM
The problem for users is that Telecom are now holding the only basket. Trusting all your eggs to a bad egg is not too confidence inspiring if your business needs good internet access.
If you are competing against Telecom you don't have to be too efficient (or ethical) to look relatively good and make bucket loads of money. Even Vodafone can do it.

robbyp
11-03-2010, 05:47 PM
The problem for users is that Telecom are now holding the only basket. Trusting all your eggs to a bad egg is not too confidence inspiring if your business needs good internet access.
If you are competing against Telecom you don't have to be too efficient (or ethical) to look relatively good and make bucket loads of money. Even Vodafone can do it.

Yes, but you could say that if the gov didn't sell telecom, then the gov would be the only ones with a cable. If you look at our electricity sector, we could be worse off.

R2x1
11-03-2010, 05:54 PM
There is nothing in the world that some Government can't do worse, at greater cost.

Telecom strain against this perceived slight 24/7

Digby
11-03-2010, 06:04 PM
existing Southern Cross cable and could unleash billions of dollars of economic potential by connecting New Zealand businesses to global markets by the internet.

I like their sentiments, but how can we get billions of dollars of potential by having access to global broadband. We already have that access ! (dur !)

I agree it will be great to get a direct line to the USA, and having a second line gives us protection in case of breakdown etc.

But our business are already connected if they want to be.

And downloading more movies faster wont help our exports !

(of course Peter Jackson and Weta would want much faster broadband)

lakewoodlady
11-03-2010, 07:27 PM
Sounds good. We will have to wait and see.
:)

I am all for progress, so good on them and I wish them luck. Why should Telecom's notwork have it all their way!

LL

Sweep
11-03-2010, 07:33 PM
All those who want superfast broadband should be investing in this.

KenESmith
11-03-2010, 08:08 PM
Great idea, hope it comes to fruition, just so long as the taxpayer under no circumstances is asked to bail them out.
Market forces will ensure that a price is set that is acceptable, competitive and sustainable

decibel
11-03-2010, 08:17 PM
This is brilliant news (provided it goes ahead)

The Southern Cross cable with their monopoly to Hawaii is what has been keeping prices up and speeds down.

tweak'e
11-03-2010, 08:21 PM
for big commercial uses who can connect directly to it, it will be great. but for home uses it won't mean anything. no point having a big fat pipe is your connected to it via old twisted wire.

Battleneter2
11-03-2010, 08:55 PM

Yea correct however Telecom(sorry I mean Southern Cross cables Ltd lol) have been raping us with excessive international data charges for years, as they are dam near a monopoly or have something like 90% of NZ capacity.

Think your missing the point of why this is a good thing if it gets to market. Add the residential government funded fibre network and finally NZ can rid of telecraps smoke and mirrors monopoly.

beeswax34
11-03-2010, 10:27 PM
According to One News, the new cable has "5 times more power".

How interesting :p

R2x1
11-03-2010, 11:09 PM
I hope its not a fibre optic cable then; with being so powerfully light it will float, and people will pinch bits of it for making Xmas tree ornaments.

decibel
12-03-2010, 08:40 PM
for big commercial uses who can connect directly to it, it will be great. but for home uses it won't mean anything. no point having a big fat pipe is your connected to it via old twisted wire.

Well my piece of twisted wire is giving me 12Mb/s line rate and if I could get that speed downloading from overseas, I would be extremely happy !

Agent_24
12-03-2010, 09:05 PM
Looks interesting, but what use is it if my Internet connection is only 2Mbit?

pctek
13-03-2010, 08:49 AM
Well my piece of twisted wire is giving me 12Mb/s line rate

Mine gives me 1Mb/s and will never go to ADSL2+ with Telecom in charge........

I think the cable is a good idea, but it has nothing to do with the home users BB.

Chilling_Silence
13-03-2010, 02:50 PM
The thin is with the Govt Fibre project covering even less of NZ than Telecom's FTTN rollout, you're even less likely to be getting anything better with that unfortunately :(

Cicero
13-03-2010, 03:50 PM
Everybody has got to have a hobby,that must be theirs,spending the best part of a billion for nothing.

paulw
13-03-2010, 04:18 PM
Everybody has got to have a hobby,that must be theirs,spending the best part of a billion for nothing.

Figured the naysayers would soon come out of the woodwork..

Cicero
13-03-2010, 04:34 PM
Figured the naysayers would soon come out of the woodwork..

And I thought there would be those that didn't get the point I was making(dim wits)My comment was in response to those who say no benefit would arise,of significance out of the project.