PDA

View Full Version : SLow accessing data from second physical drive

Chikara
11-03-2010, 01:04 AM
Hi all

My OS and apps are on C: drive and all my data is on D: drive, which is a separate physical drive.
Both are WD, both have plenty of free space.
(Oh and I also have a WD external HD attached for backups.. I usually leave this turned on and plugged in via USB, but initiate the backups manually, so it should be accessing data from there when I'm doing other stuff)

Recently I noticed loading data from D drive is very slow. At first I noticed when loading Outlook (as the pst file is on D drive) and swapping email folders and opening emails was quite slow. At first I thought it was a corrupt pst file, but I've noticed often (not *all* the time, but very often it's actually any data from D drive is slow to load.

For example, clicking to open a music folder (that has about 10 MP3 songs in) just took 10 seconds to load.
But other times, it will load virtually immediately.

I'm not sure where to start troubleshooting, any suggestions?

I've run a full viruscheck (clean), and all the Windows updates are up to date, as are my drivers/BIOS as far as I can tell.
I've run a scandisk.
I haven't recently installed/removed anything, and it was like this before today's monthly MS patches.

The only other strange thing I've noticed, is just this morning it had a message saying my version of windows was not genuine. My copy definitely is genuine, and it validated correctly when it was installed. I ignored the message and haven't seen any notices reminders since. (And right now according to Control Panel > System & Security > System is says Windows is Activated)

I'm running Win 7 64bit Home Premium, i7 860, 6GB RAM, Vid Card Radeon 4890.
So it should fair fly along, and it did used to...so any help on where I should start troubleshooting is much appreciated!

KarameaDave
11-03-2010, 01:16 AM
Have you tried running the
manufacturers diagnostics application?

Chikara
11-03-2010, 01:43 AM
Thanks, yes I've tried that... the SMART test is fine, but when I try and run the diagnostics (on any of the drives) it always gives me a "Cable test Write sector error" before it even starts??!!
It does this for all three WD drives (C: D: and the external one).. I don't know how to resolve that either, surely there can't be cable problems with all 3 drives..?

gary67
11-03-2010, 06:41 AM
Change the cables and see if it makes a difference

wainuitech
11-03-2010, 08:35 AM
Thanks, yes I've tried that... the SMART test is fine, but when I try and run the diagnostics (on any of the drives) it always gives me a "Cable test Write sector error" before it even starts??!!
It does this for all three WD drives (C: D: and the external one).. I don't know how to resolve that either, surely there can't be cable problems with all 3 drives..?
Without actually testing it, since all three are playing up AND windows saying its not genuine, I would say its either malware - OR possibly even a Motherboard failing, IF its the Board, that can throw up the not genuine message, as windows thinks the Motherboard has changed.

Edited: have you tried removing the external HD, and does it make any difference

pctek
11-03-2010, 08:41 AM
I also have a WD external HD attached for backups.. I usually leave this turned on and plugged in via USB

I've run a full viruscheck (clean),

First DO NOT leave the backup drive plugged in.
One: It can die if you get a power problem in the house along with your PC. Unplug it from everything and only plug it in when actually doing your backups.

Two: It can be corrupted by Windows. This happened to a friend of mine, some issue and she rebooted and WIndows said it was repairing errors on the backup drive. What it did was trash all her photos and turn the folders into files with bizarre names.

Took her ages to do a retrieval on it and she still lost some of them.

What antivirus did you use?
And what anti-spyware scans did you do and with what?

As for the cable error with the WD diagnostics - it's a common problem, there s/w ios a piece of &^%%##. Try a 3rd party tester.

pkm
11-03-2010, 09:06 AM
Agree - dont leave it plugged in.

I use an NTFS 1.5tb and everytime there is a slight glitch I have to checkdisk the drive which takes about 14hours. I think I may change it to ext2 or ext3.

Aurealis_
11-03-2010, 09:32 AM
Are the internal drives IDE or SATA? I'm assuming SATA from the build of your system. Have you tried connecting the drive to different ports on the motherboard? Swapping the cables around? Trying different cables? How about plugging the [slow] drive into another computer?

Speedy Gonzales
11-03-2010, 10:00 AM
Whats the brand / model of the mobo?

Erayd
11-03-2010, 10:07 AM
...I think I may change it to ext2 or ext3.

All that will do is require extra drivers, and swap chkdsk for fsck (unless you're only running Linux - in which case, why on earth were you using NTFS anyway). Ext3 is just the journalled version of ext2, and both take forever to check if you don't unmount them nicely. You can mitigate this to some extent with the ext3 journal, but only up to a point - and you'll pay for it big-time performance wise.

pkm
11-03-2010, 10:31 AM
All that will do is require extra drivers, and swap chkdsk for fsck (unless you're only running Linux - in which case, why on earth were you using NTFS anyway). Ext3 is just the journalled version of ext2, and both take forever to check if you don't unmount them nicely. You can mitigate this to some extent with the ext3 journal, but only up to a point - and you'll pay for it big-time performance wise.

I still find ext2/3 more reliable than NTFS.

Yep Im aware of the journalling. Im using NTFS because when I went on holiday I wanted to ensure the drive was readable without having to test out ext3 beta/shareware drivers for windows xp.

Chikara
12-03-2010, 02:01 AM
Hi, thanks for the replies. I've provided the extra info/answered the questions below.

Would there be any settings in the BIOS that may cause this? Which settings could I check??

Change the cables and see if it makes a difference

I may have to look at that, but I was hoping there might be software options/configs to check first, before looking at the physical hardware side of it

Without actually testing it, since all three are playing up AND windows saying its not genuine, I would say its either malware - OR possibly even a Motherboard failing, IF its the Board, that can throw up the not genuine message, as windows thinks the Motherboard has changed.

Edited: have you tried removing the external HD, and does it make any difference

Well, apart from the cable message on the diagnostics, as far as I can tell accessing data from C drive is fine. Programs load quickly, etc. The not genuine message happened only the once, and I think happened overnight (machine was left on) so I'm hoping that was just a one-off. Hasn't happened since.
I tried removing the external HD now, will monitor what difference that makes over the next few days.

What antivirus did you use?
And what anti-spyware scans did you do and with what?

As for the cable error with the WD diagnostics - it's a common problem, there s/w ios a piece of &^%%##. Try a 3rd party tester.

AV, I use Avira free version. Anti-spyware, I just use Malwarebytes Antimalware, I ran a full scan over both drives (but not external). That's the only anti-malware I run.

Is there a 3rd party drive diagnostic tester you'd recommend?

Are the internal drives IDE or SATA? I'm assuming SATA from the build of your system. Have you tried connecting the drive to different ports on the motherboard? Swapping the cables around? Trying different cables? How about plugging the [slow] drive into another computer?

Yep ATA as far as I know. Haven't tried connecting to different ports yet, see above, but I will try that if there's nothing to be found by software settings/tweaks/troubleshooting

Whats the brand / model of the mobo?

Sorry forgot to post that, it's a ASUS P7P55D PRO

Chikara
13-03-2010, 06:15 PM
Thought I'd also post a Hijack this log, in addition to the previous info, if it's any help.

I see there is a lot of services with 'file missing', I don;t know if that's really correct, of it it's just Hijack this not playng nice with Win 7 64bit??

TIA...

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 1:11:22 p.m., on 13/03/2010
Platform: Unknown Windows (WinNT 6.01.3504)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.7600.16385)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\TurboV EVO\TurboVHELP.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\EPU-6 Engine\SixEngine.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\robotaskbaricon.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Razer\Lycosa\razerhid.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Portrait Displays\Pivot Software\wpCtrl.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Portrait Displays\Pivot Software\floater.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avgnt.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Razer\Lycosa\razertra.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\HTC\HTC Sync\Application Launcher\Application Launcher.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Teleca Shared\CapabilityManager.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Teleca Shared\logger.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Teleca Shared\Generic.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\HTC\HTC Sync\ClientInitiatedStarter\ClientInitiatedStarter .exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\HTC\HTC Sync\Mobile Phone Monitor\epmworker.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\HTC\HTC Sync\Mobile Phone Monitor\DbgOut.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\HTC\HTC Sync\Mobile Phone Monitor\HTCVBTServer.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\HTC\HTC Sync\Mobile Phone Monitor\FsynSrvStarter.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12\OUTLOOK.EXE
C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\HTC\HTC Sync\Sync Manager\syncindicator.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\Windows\SysWOW64\blank.htm
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Int ernet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5C255C8A-E604-49b4-9D64-90988571CECB} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: RoboForm - {724d43a9-0d85-11d4-9908-00400523e39a} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\roboform.dll
O2 - BHO: Groove GFS Browser Helper - {72853161-30C5-4D22-B7F9-0BBC1D38A37E} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveShellExtensions.dll
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &RoboForm - {724d43a0-0d85-11d4-9908-00400523e39a} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\roboform.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [GrooveMonitor] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveMonitor.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATICustomerCare] "C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI\ATICustomerCare\ATICustomerCare.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Lycosa] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Razer\Lycosa\razerhid.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PivotSoftware] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Portrait Displays\Pivot Software\wpctrl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DT PHL] C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Portrait Displays\Shared\DT_startup.exe -PHL
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdobeCS4ServiceManager] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\CS4ServiceManager\CS4ServiceManager.ex e" -launchedbylogin
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HDAudDeck] C:\Program Files (x86)\VIA\VIAudioi\VDeck\VDeck.exe -r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TurboV EVO] "C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\TurboV EVO\TurboV_EVO.exe" -b
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avgnt] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avgnt.exe" /min
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UVS11 Preload] C:\Program Files (x86)\Ulead Systems\Ulead VideoStudio 11\uvPL.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Mobile Connectivity Suite] "C:\Program Files (x86)\HTC\HTC Sync\Application Launcher\Application Launcher.exe" /startoptions
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StartCCC] "C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CLIStart.exe" MSRun
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [RoboForm] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboTaskBarIcon.exe"
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\RunOnce: [mctadmin] C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\RunOnce: [mctadmin] C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - Global Startup: SetPointII.lnk = ?
O8 - Extra context menu item: Customize Menu - file://C:\Program Files (x86)\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboFormComCustomizeIEMenu.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~2\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Fill Forms - file://C:\Program Files (x86)\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboFormComFillForms.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: RoboForm Toolbar - file://C:\Program Files (x86)\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboFormComShowToolbar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Save Forms - file://C:\Program Files (x86)\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboFormComSavePass.html
O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~2\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: S&end to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~2\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra button: Fill Forms - {320AF880-6646-11D3-ABEE-C5DBF3571F46} - file://C:\Program Files (x86)\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboFormComFillForms.html
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Fill Forms - {320AF880-6646-11D3-ABEE-C5DBF3571F46} - file://C:\Program Files (x86)\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboFormComFillForms.html
O9 - Extra button: Save - {320AF880-6646-11D3-ABEE-C5DBF3571F49} - file://C:\Program Files (x86)\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboFormComSavePass.html
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Save Forms - {320AF880-6646-11D3-ABEE-C5DBF3571F49} - file://C:\Program Files (x86)\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboFormComSavePass.html
O9 - Extra button: RoboForm - {724d43aa-0d85-11d4-9908-00400523e39a} - file://C:\Program Files (x86)\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboFormComShowToolbar.html
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: RoboForm Toolbar - {724d43aa-0d85-11d4-9908-00400523e39a} - file://C:\Program Files (x86)\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboFormComShowToolbar.html
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~2\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
O13 - Gopher Prefix:
O16 - DPF: {E2883E8F-472F-4FB0-9522-AC9BF37916A7} - http://platformdl.adobe.com/NOS/getPlusPlus/1.6/gp.cab
O18 - Protocol: grooveLocalGWS - {88FED34C-F0CA-4636-A375-3CB6248B04CD} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveSystemServices.dll
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\guard32.dll
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Alg.exe,-112 (ALG) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\alg.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: AMD External Events Utility - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\atiesrxx.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Avira AntiVir Scheduler (AntiVirSchedulerService) - Avira GmbH - C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\sched.exe
O23 - Service: Avira AntiVir Guard (AntiVirService) - Avira GmbH - C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avguard.exe
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: ASUS System Control Service (AsSysCtrlService) - ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\AsSysCtrlService\1.00.02\AsSysCtrlServi ce.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: Capture Device Service - InterVideo Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\InterVideo\DeviceService\DevSvc.exe
O23 - Service: COMODO Internet Security Helper Service (cmdAgent) - COMODO - C:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cmdagent.exe
O23 - Service: Dragon Age: Origins - Content Updater (DAUpdaterSvc) - BioWare - C:\Program Files (x86)\Dragon Age\bin_ship\DAUpdaterSvc.Service.exe
O23 - Service: Portrait Displays Display Tune Service (DTSRVC) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Portrait Displays\Shared\dtsrvc.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\efssvc.dll,-100 (EFS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\fxsresm.dll,-118 (Fax) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\fxssvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: FLEXnet Licensing Service - Acresso Software Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher\FNPLicensingService.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: @keyiso.dll,-100 (KeyIso) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @comres.dll,-2797 (MSDTC) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\msdtc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\System32\netlogon.dll,-102 (Netlogon) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Portrait Displays SDK Service (PdiService) - Portrait Displays, Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Portrait Displays\Drivers\pdisrvc.exe
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\psbase.dll,-300 (ProtectedStorage) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\Locator.exe,-2 (RpcLocator) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\locator.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\samsrv.dll,-1 (SamSs) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\snmptrap.exe,-3 (SNMPTRAP) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\snmptrap.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\spoolsv.exe,-1 (Spooler) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\sppsvc.exe,-101 (sppsvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\sppsvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\ui0detect.exe,-101 (UI0Detect) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\UI0Detect.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vaultsvc.dll,-1003 (VaultSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vds.exe,-100 (vds) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\vds.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\vssvc.exe,-102 (VSS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\vssvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Wat\WatUX.exe,-601 (WatAdminSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\Wat\WatAdminSvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\wbengine.exe,-104 (wbengine) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbengine.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%Systemroot%\system32\wbem\wmiapsrv.exe,-110 (wmiApSrv) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbem\WmiApSrv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%PROGRAMFILES%\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe,-101 (WMPNetworkSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe (file missing)

--
End of file - 12374 bytes

Speedy Gonzales
13-03-2010, 06:27 PM
You can tick these, then tick fix checked

Close browsers

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5C255C8A-E604-49b4-9D64-90988571CECB} - (no file)

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATICustomerCare] "C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI\ATICustomerCare\ATICustomerCare.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StartCCC] "C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CLIStart.exe" MSRun

I would check the forum (http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P7P55D+PRO&board_id=1). See if anyone else is having the same prob. What BIOS is on it now?

Paul.Cov
13-03-2010, 06:37 PM
What about that recently reported issue with new WD drives being pre-configured to use an access/storage method that is tuned to Win7. There is a WD Allign program to essentially reformat (non-destructively) the disc in a fashion that is more responsive for Pre Win7 OS and Linux OS.

Chikara
13-03-2010, 06:46 PM
Thanks Speedy, I've removed those entries and will check that forum for info too.
It's currently on the latest version of the ASUS BIOS which is 1207

Paul.Cov, I don't think that's relevant to me, as far as I can tell the WD Align is only needed for people who installed XP? I got these drives at the same time as this PC was built, which was initially running Win 7 64 bit RC, and now Win 7 64 bit Home Premium. This build has never run XP.
(Was reading the info from here:)
http://support.wdc.com/product/downloadsw.asp?sid=124