PDA

View Full Version : Pay Duty Bringing Laptop Back to NZ?

BeShakey
10-03-2010, 02:50 PM
I'm going overseas for a while and am looking at getting a laptop while I'm in San Francisco. The options there are cheaper and better than what I can find here but I'm not sure if I have to pay duty when I bring it back here. Anyone have any experience of this? I can only find info from customs on tourists bringing a laptop here, rather than people returning from holiday.

PinoyKiw
10-03-2010, 03:07 PM
In the old days.........you could give NZ Customs a list of expensive items that you were taking out of the country so when you came back there was no arguement as to where you got it in regards to duty.

I would personally just go ahead and buy it and use it while you are away and just carry it straight into NZ like everyone else does with there laptops.

Leave the packaging behind, keep any receipts and warranty cards separate and place the laptop in a laptop bag and walk on through.

I come into at least twice a month with expensive laptop and photographic gear and no one has ever stopped me to ask if I own it or where I bought it from.

If you want to be technical about it though, off memory without consulting a NZ Customs form, anything over $750 I think it is, is supposed to be declared.

Aurealis_
10-03-2010, 03:21 PM
Hey Mate,

I had a look on the customs website and this is the only relevant info I could find:
http://www.customs.govt.nz/importers/FAQs/Do+I+have+to+pay+Customs+charges+on+my+computer+wh en+I+come+to+New+Zealand+to+study.htm

This suggests that you would have to pay a tax. However, I think that you would be best advised to ring customs and ask them your specific query. In any case, how many customs officers are going to ask every person travelling with a laptop to explain where they bought it and pay a duty if it wasn't here. I've travelled with my laptop to the USA, Aus a couple of times and never had it come up.

I did get "randomly" selected for drugs, weapons and bombs tests the last 3 times I went to Australia though... bloody scandalous.

Cheers,

Agent_24
10-03-2010, 03:25 PM
Check on http://www.customs.govt.nz/default.htm

What PinoyKiw says sounds like a good idea

wainuitech
10-03-2010, 03:55 PM
What PinoyKiw suggests will more than likely work. I have seen many people go through customs with laptops, All that's usually asked is take the laptop out of its carry bag, put it on the tray, it and the bag goes through the scanner -- Carry on -- Next please.

PinoyKiw
10-03-2010, 04:05 PM
Going through out going security they will screen the laptop separate along with your cellphone and ipods etc. Coming into NZ, Customs, seem more interested in food, hiking boots, etc and xray everything without removing it from the bags, exception is duty free booze, they usually allow you to carry that past the xray. Only once in the last couple of years of travelling into NZ as often as I do, have only been pulled aside once and that was only because of how they viewed the xray image which was nothing more than a false positive.

A lot of people carry laptops now, they hardly rate a second look.

lakewoodlady
10-03-2010, 04:52 PM
I bought a laptop back from America in 2006. No probs just said it was mine and took it on as hand luggage.

As long as you know how to start it up in case they ask you to and log onto it, that is sweet.

LL

Nomad
10-03-2010, 05:04 PM
I hope you are not going to include the box and user manuals and gift wrap :p

Renmoo
11-03-2010, 06:34 PM
I second what PinoyKiw has said :)

bk T
11-03-2010, 07:29 PM

Having the user manual in the carrying bag should be fine, I think.

12steps
12-03-2010, 01:40 PM
i Bought my i7 componants back from OZ (MB, ram, cpu $1000 worth) bought in with my carryon no problems...

FAB
12-03-2010, 01:43 PM

User manual for a laptop? Have I gone back in time to the '90s?

Nomad
12-03-2010, 06:12 PM
Don't they come with one?

My last laptop was 2000 2nd hand. An IBM.

Agent_24
12-03-2010, 06:56 PM
I've never bought a brand new laptop so I wouldn't know