PDA

View Full Version : HOME NETWORKING

Q man
10-03-2010, 03:27 PM
I have a htpc running xp and a main computer in another room running windows 7 64bit, can I link these computers?
At the moment the xp machine is running a usb wireless dongle so I can connect to the wireless modem connected to the windows 7 machine.
The main reason for doing this is to transfer movies and songs off my main machine to the htpc.

Speedy Gonzales
10-03-2010, 03:41 PM
Just create a folder (you cant use homegroup, since XP doesnt support it). Configure any firewalls (if its not windows), then create a shortcut if you want to copy the files across. Disable password protected sharing in windows 7, and enable discovery and file sharing

Q man
10-03-2010, 03:48 PM
Cheers for the reply but could u elaberate a bit

Where do I create the folder?
I do want to be able to access files on the main computer from the htpc

Sorry I am a networking NOOB

Aurealis_
10-03-2010, 04:14 PM
Yup, you can do it mate. It's fairly quick to do...

First of all, create a folder on the C:\ or your main hard drive. I usually call it something obvious like 'Shares. So, you'll have a folder C:\Shares or somesuch. Now, what you do next is specific to the operating system and I'm posting this from work (XP) at the momeny, so I will wait until I get home to give you instructions on how to share the folder across the network.

It would be helpful to know, however, whether you are running any firewalls on either computer?

Cheers,

Speedy Gonzales
10-03-2010, 04:18 PM
Doesnt matter where you create a folder. Just dont share all of C. Chuck the files in it, then share it. And dont forget to enable wireless in the router, and use something better than WEP

Aurealis_
10-03-2010, 04:23 PM
Doesnt matter where you create a folder. Just dont share all of C. Chuck the files in it, then share it. And dont forget to enable wireless in the router, and use something better than WEP

If he creates it in the \Users\ directory then he will likely be unable to access it because of Windows keeping User directories private. You wouldn't believe how many times I've solved that problem for friends...

Speedy Gonzales
10-03-2010, 04:27 PM
I didnt say to create it there. If you've got a spare hdd or something put everything on that. I've just created and shared a folder on a nearly completely empty partition. If someone wants to hack it they can. There's nothing of importance on it

Aurealis_
10-03-2010, 08:40 PM
Create a new folder. Right click on it and select properties. Click on the sharing tab. Click on Advanced Sharing. Check Share this Folder and it will be visible on the network. :)

To access the folder type \\yourcomputername
from the computer trying to access the shared folder. If you're unsure what your computer name is press Windows+Break, or go to System in the Control Panel. It'll tell ya what your name is there.

Let us know how it goes.

gary67
11-03-2010, 06:48 AM
I always create my shared folders on my data or D drive without problems

nedkelly
11-03-2010, 08:18 AM
I usually just use the administrative share if I dont have a shared folder yet.

Q man
11-03-2010, 09:08 AM
Cool thanks I will try tonight, I did try and setup a wireless connection in the xp wizard but it says windows xp won't support wireless networking.

Either way i will try the create a folder thing cheers

Speedy Gonzales
11-03-2010, 09:28 AM
XP does, but it helps if you install SP3. And dont use the wizard, its useless