PDA

View Full Version : PC Won't Boot

Roscoe
10-03-2010, 10:01 AM
My PC seems to have died. When I turn on the power the hard drive light comes on and stays steady. The monitor says "no video signal" but nothing else.

I was told that there may be a CD that I could use that may start up the PC. (I note that the PC does attempt to access a CD but not the floppy drive does nothing.) Does anyone have something that I could use? Or is there somewhere I could go to download the necesary? And if I could download something, are there instructions that go with it?

Once started, is there a fix that would cure the problem?

The PC has XP installed.:thanks

PinoyKiw
10-03-2010, 10:31 AM
Had what seems to be the exact problem a few weeks ago.

Check and double check the video card and make sure it is tight and properly connected.

Even though I hadn't touched the insides of my desktop, one morning after a few days of no use it failed to start up more or less like you mention, it sounded like the CDRom was trying to access even though there was nothing there and I had no video signal.

Pulled out the video card, slotted it back in and still wouldn't start, had to do it a couple of time before it fired up.

Worth a try anyway in the meantime.

Speedy Gonzales
10-03-2010, 10:32 AM
Have you tried another monitor? It maybe booting, but the monitor maybe dead

Roscoe
10-03-2010, 10:50 AM
I don't think it is booting because the hard drive light stays steady and there is no start up beep.

The monitor does appear to be working as it shows a sign saying "no video signal."

I will disconnect and reconnect the video card as you say. Thanks for your suggestion PinoyKiw.

Speedy Gonzales
10-03-2010, 10:57 AM
A mate I'm talking to now had the same prob (he uses dual monitors), he had the same prob as you. He tried it on another system, it didnt work either. Its dead

KarameaDave
10-03-2010, 11:06 AM
You could try reseating the RAM as well.

Agent_24
10-03-2010, 04:46 PM
Could be flat BIOS battery, bad connection on something due to oxidization over time or 'chip creep', or something has just plain failed

Roscoe
15-03-2010, 12:40 PM
Found the problem.

It was suggested, by a very knowlegeable person, that I remove, firstly, the dial up modem (not in use) and then, possibly, other cards until it booted.

I removed the old modem card and it booted immediately - no worries.
It was so simple!!

I am told that modem cards are some of the most troublesome.

Hopefully that will help someone with the same problem.

Agent_24
15-03-2010, 12:50 PM
Did this person say why modems are the most trouble? Would be interesting to know...

Roscoe
15-03-2010, 12:53 PM
Never thougt to ask. Sorry about that, chief. Just died, I suppose.

wainuitech
15-03-2010, 03:00 PM
Did this person say why modems are the most trouble? Would be interesting to know Common knowledge in the PC building industry - One of the things I was taught ages ago (when 56K modems were in all PC's) - if a PC wont boot and its got a 56K modem, remove it - theres a high percentage the PC will now boot.

Roscoe
15-03-2010, 03:10 PM
Thanks, Wainui. That is what happened. After removing the modem it was as if there had never been a problem.

Not common knowledge to us mere mortals which is why I thought it an idea to let the uninformed amongst us know.

I was surprised at such an easy fix! It was simple. If only all PC problems were as easily rectified.

Agent_24
15-03-2010, 04:34 PM
Common knowledge in the PC building industry - One of the things I was taught ages ago (when 56K modems were in all PC's) - if a PC wont boot and its got a 56K modem, remove it - theres a high percentage the PC will now boot.

Very interesting, I have never heard of that before. But you don't know either why that happens?

wainuitech
15-03-2010, 04:55 PM
Sorry Cant remember the reason , it was so long ago, I've forgotten.

Sometimes when trouble shooting PC's, if you can actually see the PC, and look inside, you sometimes get to know what to look for and possible causes.

Problem is when on a forum, you cant do that.

This PC having a modem was never mentioned at the start, BUT with the knowledge of one, the suggestion to remove it may have been suggested.

Good that its fixed though.:)

Agent_24
15-03-2010, 05:08 PM
if you can actually see the PC, and look inside, you sometimes get to know what to look for and possible causes.

Problem is when on a forum, you cant do that

I know, it's so much easier to do anything when it's right there in front of you.

You can instantly notice things like IDE cables half fallen out, heatsinks not on properly, bulging capacitors etc that mean nothing to a normal person