PDA

View Full Version : Repair installation for XPpro

Billy T
08-03-2010, 04:36 PM
No 1 son is of the generation where parents know nothing, so I'm hoping he'll make his millions while he still knows everything and be able to support me during my reclining years in the manner to which I'd like to become accustomed, as we have supported him.

In the meantime, knowing everything, as he does, he accidentally deleted a pile of accessory program stuff off his Toshiba laptop. He bought the laptop second-hand complete with its genuine XPpro CD (still shrink-wrapped) and all the manuals etc, plus another anonymous disk hand-labelled XP Pro.

The guy was clearly a big trader in used Toshiba laptops because he had heaps lying around when we collected it, so I am hoping that this second disk is a copy of his standard installation disk with service packs 1-4 slipstreamed, because as I understand it, if I do a repair installation using the original XP Pro disk it will not leave the service packs functional (or something similar to that effect). Problem is, I don't know how to tell if this other disk has Service Packs 1-4 included in ready to run form.

Windows wouldn't let me see the disk contents so I took a look using Ztree, and I found four cab files labelled EX50SP1.cab, EX50SP2.cab, EX40SP3.cab and EX40SP4.cab. Google tells me they are torrent files for the four service packs, and ever the optimist, I'm hoping that these files are the four service packs, all set up and ready to go when the disk is run.

Does this sound right? If so we can proceed with the repair install without white knuckles.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Speedy Gonzales
08-03-2010, 04:42 PM
No XP cd comes with a service pack on it. Unless you slipstream one / all of them. And XP doesnt have service pack 4. Its only up to SP3 at the mo. I think the files (if SP1, 2 and 3 are on it) are called Win511P.SP1, SP2 and SP3.

pctek
08-03-2010, 04:44 PM
he accidentally deleted a pile of accessory program stuff off his Toshiba laptop.

if I do a repair installation using the original XP Pro disk it will not leave the service packs functional

What accessory stuff? Windows programs? If so, do an Add/Remove Windows Components.

Toshiba stuff? In which case the Windows disk won't replace them.

Windows System files - so now it doesn't boot? If so, you can repair install with an older SP, yes it makes it back to whatever SP that was, shouldn't be a major though, just update the SP after.

It may, on odd occasions BSOD and whinge about some driver file, I have had that happen due to older SP, in which case borrow a newer Windows CD with up to date SP.

But I'd try the above things first.

Billy T
08-03-2010, 05:44 PM
No XP cd comes with a service pack on it. Unless you slipstream one / all of them. And XP doesnt have service pack 4. Its only up to SP3 at the mo. I think the files (if SP1, 2 and 3 are on it) are called Win511P.SP1, SP2 and SP3.

It is a techies custom-built CD Speedy, not a Microsoft jobbie, we already have that one still shrink-wrapped, so I was assuming it was slipstreamed. When I checked the net for XP service packs I found an SP 4, which was very small. This is what I found:

Service Pack 4 for Windows 7, XP, VISTA, 2008, 2000, NT, and .net server

It is outside my current experience but would explain why there's an SP4 on this disk.

How do I tell if it is a slipstreamed installation disk?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Speedy Gonzales
08-03-2010, 05:51 PM
That SP4 is probably just for .net framework, not windows itself.

Since Windows 7 doesnt even have a service pack. And Vista doesnt have service pack 3. And XP doesnt have SP4

All I know is the previous post for XP. Since it'll take a while to slipstream vista updates, and you cant slipstream SP4 with Windows 7 , since there is no SP1, 2 or 3.

wainuitech
08-03-2010, 06:00 PM
There is NO service pack 4 for XP - as speedy said it stopped at 3. If you go here (http://servicepack4.windowsreinstall.com/), down the bottom and up top are the Service Pack Numbers, click on which one you want, and it will tell you what versions of windows has what service packs.

As speedy mentioned to tell what version of Service Pack is on the CD, open the CD and look for the WIN51 file, This XP CD has SP3 (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/XP.jpg) Highlighted, if it only said SP2 then its only got SP2 on it.

coldot
08-03-2010, 06:05 PM
Billy T: Take care! If my search is the same that you did that Service Pack 4 comes from servicepack4.windowsreinstall.com which although it does appear to be genuinely useful, is NOT a Microsoft site. And their download column shows NONE for Service Pack 4 for XP.

wainuitech
08-03-2010, 06:24 PM
The link I gave was ONLY to show what service packs are in what versions of Windows.

ALWAYS download the service packs directly from Microsoft.

And their download column shows NONE for Service Pack 4 for XP. Thats because the IS'NT one.

feersumendjinn
08-03-2010, 06:30 PM
What model Toshi is it, may have a recovery partition, in which case you don't need to go to all that hassle, will have all the drivers etc already there (but you still may have to download service packs and updates), press the 0 (zero) key while booting, usually has an option to repair as well.
You could (if it still boots into Windows) do an "sfc /scannow" (without the quotes),with the Run command in the Start menu, to restore your system files (you may need a OS cd if it asks for one).

Billy T
08-03-2010, 07:43 PM
It boots and runs fine for most programs, its just missing a few features, exactly what I'm not sure because tying a 20 year old musician down to talk sense for 5 consecutive minutes is a big ask.

It is several weeks since he did his accidental deletions and it has been running ok for most uses, but coincidentally it did have a boot failure a couple of days ago. If I understand correctly it failed twice, but when he tried to demonstrate that to me yesterday it booted all the way into Windows without a hitch.

I am quite sure that this other XP CD created by the seller will be the full installation that it had to start with, and it is a good bet that it does have the required service packs 1-3 slipstreamed, but I don't know what file names to look for. Obviously the first lot I found are not what they appear to be.

I'll see if I can tie him down long enough to tell me what he thinks is missing.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :badpc:

Speedy Gonzales
08-03-2010, 07:56 PM
I told you what files will be on it, if SP1, 2 or 3 are slipstreamed (XP). Win511P.SP1, SP2 and SP3. If none of these files are on it, then there will be no service pack on it

fred_fish
08-03-2010, 08:30 PM
Yes, before you try to fix it, you should definately identify the problem.
You should also identify the tool you are intending to use.

If windows is booting successfully and 'mostly' working, a repair install is probably overkill.

"I don't know whats wrong and I'm going to fix it with ???" is a recipe for disaster.

Why not try booting from the mystery disk and see what it says?
If you can't boot from it to Windows setup routine, then it's not a XP install disk.

gary67
08-03-2010, 08:42 PM
Why not try since no body has mentioned it sfc /scannow which repairs missing dll's I think

feersumendjinn
08-03-2010, 10:36 PM
What model Toshi is it, may have a recovery partition, in which case you don't need to go to all that hassle, will have all the drivers etc already there (but you still may have to download service packs and updates), press the 0 (zero) key while booting, usually has an option to repair as well.
You could (if it still boots into Windows) do an "sfc /scannow" (without the quotes),with the Run command in the Start menu, to restore your system files (you may need a OS cd if it asks for one).
:annoyed::)

decibel
08-03-2010, 10:42 PM
No 1 son is of the generation where parents know nothing

I seem to have missed something - why are you having to help this expert ??

gary67
09-03-2010, 06:46 AM
:annoyed::)

Oops missed that somehow

robjg63
09-03-2010, 10:06 AM
You can always create your own slip-streamed XP disk that includes SP3 (as noted there isnt an SP4). If you google slipstreaming (though it sounds like you know a bit about it) it tells you how.

My favourite program to automate all this is nlite - you can include drivers etc with the install disk. This would be good if you were creating a customised install for that laptop - but thats probably not going to help you 'repair'.

I have always found the 'repair' option a bit destructive myself - it seems to blow away things you dont expect. Be carefull..

Billy T
10-03-2010, 10:04 AM
I told you what files will be on it, if SP1, 2 or 3 are slipstreamed (XP). Win511P.SP1, SP2 and SP3. If none of these files are on it, then there will be no service pack on it

Sorry Speedy, I missed your post. Yes, WIN51IP.SP2 is on there but not 1 or 3. I'm guessing that SP2 will contain SP1 (subject to confirmation) so all he'll need is SP3 if I have to go down the repair path at all.

In answer to another question, yes, it is an install disk, I allowed it to boot to its opening screen and the options were there, that is why I decided that it must be slipstreamed with the service packs because we also received the original XP disk still shrink-wrapped.

At the moment I have told him to provide me with a list of all programs or functions that are not working and until he does that I won't be thinking about it at all as I have my own problems to deal with. If he doesn't get off his backside it will stay the way it is. I've only just managed to persuade him to back up his data!

Thanks to all for the advice and assistance, I'll update when and if there is any news.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Speedy Gonzales
10-03-2010, 10:28 AM
I would say yup if Win511P.SP3 isnt on that cd, SP3 isnt on it. SP2 should inc SP1 thats right