PDA

View Full Version : Long sign-in time to Windows Live Messenger on Big Time

Chilling_Silence
07-03-2010, 02:35 PM
Long story short, from what I can tell MSN is *only* an issue on Big Time.

I sign in to any other kind of network and it signs in to the service in under 30 seconds. On Big Time, it takes ~5 minutes and sometimes times out.

Before I contact support requesting that they fix it, I just wanted to confirm it's not an isolated issue. I've tested a couple of connections, all the same issue, but just doing due diligence ;)

I've got quite a few contacts though, wouldn't surprise me if there was 200 -> 300, but the thing is that shouldn't be an issue, as it's not an issue on the likes of Orcon connections.

Not too concerned about non-Big Time Telecom Connections, coz they're not subject to the same "Traffic Management" of Big Time.

If you use MSN on Big Time, I'd love to hear from ya :)

Thanks

Chill.

chuanwai
07-03-2010, 02:45 PM
Im on big time in auckland, the only issue i have is the crappy download times, everything else seems to be all good in the hood.

Speedy Gonzales
07-03-2010, 02:46 PM
Sounds like the same prob my mate was having over in Oz (yesterday), with that. He couldnt log in. Told him to install pidgin, it was fine. So, the ISP may not be the prob, the prob maybe WLM

wainuitech
07-03-2010, 02:49 PM
I'm on Telstra and just tried messenger -- 8 seconds ( I timed it) to log in from hitting "sign In", so Messenger its self is fine.

jwil1
07-03-2010, 02:54 PM
4 seconds here on non-Big Time Telecom :)

wainuitech
07-03-2010, 03:01 PM
Have you tried logging in from another Connection / LAN via a Laptop for example, some one who is not on Telecom.

pcuser42
07-03-2010, 03:26 PM
Didn't notice anything out of the ordinary on Big Time.

wainuitech
07-03-2010, 03:31 PM
OOPS! pays to read the thread correctly eh! I see on other networks its OK'ish. :blush:

How long has it been slow for, and any particular time of day worse than others.

Basic question -- Anything changed and its started, eg: update firmware on router for example. ??

jwil1
07-03-2010, 04:46 PM
Is there the same delay on other networked PCs on the same LAN?

whellington
07-03-2010, 05:39 PM
Took 4 secs for me too

Are you using a different dns?

Chilling_Silence
07-03-2010, 05:47 PM
Using default Xtra DNS
Been going on for a while, as long as I can remember on Big Time
Happens on both the iPhone via WiFi (Fast via 3G)
Happens on my borrowed Macbook
Happens on my Win7 Desktop
Happens on my Win7 / Linux Mint 8 Netbook

All affected on the 3x Big Time connections I've tried (Except my Desktop, only tried it at home), but works great on non-Big Time connections.

I'm figuring it's a Big Time issue, but just need to confirm before lodging a support ticket that it's not a localized issue ;)

Tested with Pidgin and Live Messenger

Agent_24
08-03-2010, 07:53 AM
I've got Big Time and haven't noticed any problems with MSN signing in at all.

wratterus
08-03-2010, 07:55 AM
Come to think of it, I may have noticed a slightly longer wait, but nothing like what you are describing. Maybe up to 10 secs instead of the normal 3 or 4.

Chilling_Silence
08-03-2010, 08:15 AM
Hmm .. yeah coz this is a *long* wait :$ I dread signing out of my desktop and onto my laptop (so I can go chill outside) because of the long wait :(