PDA

View Full Version : seagate expansion 1tb desktop hard drive - Decent buy?

Daniel.Drache
07-03-2010, 07:44 AM
In the Weekend Herald, there's seagate expansion 1tb desktop hard drive for $152

I'm out of space, But I'm planning a complete upgrade/replacement in a few months, & I'd like some more storage til then.
this seems like a decent drive to store my music, vid clips etc on

a Google search came up with this review (http://www.externalharddrives.org.uk/1tb/seagate-expansion-1tb-external-hard-drive/)

the only issue is
"Unreliable:

But one of the major issues that we heard that the drive is encountering is that, the drive starts to click non-stop and thus crashes completely. This is very bad as once the hard drive starts to click continuously, the drive is in a bad condition and would fail ultimately. This is a very disappointing fact."

The review says it comes with a 2 year limited warranty, I'm presuming (& will ask) that it'll come with a 2 year warranty from Harvey Norman.

I suppose my main questions are

1. Will a limited warranty cover the clicking then failing?

2. Will the drive (Most likely) click for a day-week before failing? letting me transfer all files from it

3. because of the 2 year warranty, I'm assuming it probably won't fail for 2 years?

I've thought about buying an external hard drive off the net, but if there's any problems etc it's more problematic getting it fixed, then being able to take it to a local store

Thanks for any help etc

P.S I'll be heading out to grab it at about 9:30, I work all night & it's currently past my bedtime

PinoyKiw
07-03-2010, 07:58 AM
We got two of these a year ago and both have performed without fault. One is a static mount in that it never gets unpluged or moved about and the second one regually gets moved around various countries each month as I travel back and forth so is subject to quite a bit of movement.

Daniel.Drache
07-03-2010, 08:09 AM
Thanks, that eases my worries a bit :)
Most of the time it'll be sitting on the desktop, but once in a blue moon it's useful to take with me

Daniel.Drache
07-03-2010, 09:40 AM
According to Harvey Norman, the limited warranty covers the drive failing within 2 years, if/but/maybe after the "process"

If anyone can, I'd like to know if the clicking will give me a decent amount of warning before it fails

Thanks
Daniel

KarameaDave
07-03-2010, 11:58 AM
Well, it might.
But, hard drives can and do fail without warning.
It's the nature of the beast!

Daniel.Drache
07-03-2010, 04:31 PM
Cool, thank you for the info

pctek
07-03-2010, 06:27 PM
2 year warranty from Harvey Norman.

1. Will a limited warranty cover the clicking then failing?

2. Will the drive (Most likely) click for a day-week before failing?

3. because of the 2 year warranty, I'm assuming it probably won't fail for 2 years?

1.Yes.
2.Maybe, maybe not.
3.Not at all, it means it's under warranty for 2 years so if it fails within that time, you get a replacement, if after that, you don't.

Personally I would go buy it form a decent PC shop like Ascent - never any after sales service hassles from them.

Seagate had issues with their bigger drives for a bit. It's sorted now so don't fret.
Or if you are paranoid, buy a Western Digital instead.