PDA

View Full Version : WINDOWS 7

Kaycee
07-03-2010, 06:31 AM
Could someone, who has more experience with Windows 7 than me, advise what programs are a must .... ie CCleaner, Malwarebytes etc.... thank you

nedkelly
07-03-2010, 07:48 AM
An anti-Virus program is always one of the most important programs, it should always be one of the first programs installed.

Kaycee
07-03-2010, 08:13 AM
Thanks Ned ... yep will do is Microsoft Essentials enough .... do we need Firewall. Ive had no experience with Windows 7 ..... up with the speed on XP :). Daughter has just brought a new lappy so trying to get the right things on it

Speedy Gonzales
07-03-2010, 08:21 AM
Windows 7 is like any other version. It just looks different

nedkelly
07-03-2010, 08:30 AM
hmm I am not too sure what the firewall in Windows 7 is like. (Really should try the virtual machine I made), someone else should be able to tell you if it is good enough.

pctek
07-03-2010, 08:36 AM
NOD32 preferably.
Spybot
MalwareBytes

A firewall.

PENTIUM
07-03-2010, 02:29 PM
Yuo might already have a hardware firewall, with broadband router? If so, you are already protected.

Kaycee
08-03-2010, 06:02 AM
Thank you all for your suggestions it is very much appreciated as always .... have a great day

SolMiester
08-03-2010, 07:56 AM
Window 7 firewall works both directions and is an improvement over all previous versions

nedkelly
08-03-2010, 08:02 AM
is it as good as comodo firewall?

autechre
08-03-2010, 09:16 AM
is it as good as comodo firewall?
No, Comodo is superior to the Windows one.

The Windows one will do if you already have a router with a firewall active.

Deimos
08-03-2010, 10:05 PM
Window 7 firewall works both directions and is an improvement over all previous versions

I think you might be confused about something, there were false reports of Windows XP firewall only working in one direction.

Deimos
08-03-2010, 10:12 PM
I'm using Windows 7 on about 8 machines, if you are just talking about security wise, I'm currently using Windows firewall (absolutely great firewall, I seriously don't think you could do better with third party software and it is VERY easy to manage).

Microsoft Security Essentials is one of the best AV programs I have used since Windows 98, it is unobtrusive, it does real time scanning while consuming very little system resources, and its easy to initiate an on demand scan, I switched from AVG free which I hated, too many nag screens popping up when there is a new version available.

Windows update, make sure it is on and notifying you when updates are available, Microsoft has "Patch Tuesdays" which is the second Tuesday of every month where they fix security holes etc...

Other than that I don't think any other software is necessary, I used to use Spybot but I felt like it broke IE ever since Vista.

feersumendjinn
08-03-2010, 10:54 PM
Thanks Ned ... yep will do is Microsoft Essentials enough .... do we need Firewall. Ive had no experience with Windows 7 ..... up with the speed on XP :). Daughter has just brought a new lappy so trying to get the right things on it
Advise her not to install peer-to-peer (p2p)/torrent programs (e.g. Limewire etc), is one of the best ways to get malware past your defenses (unless you're very careful).

Speedy Gonzales
09-03-2010, 08:49 AM
I think you might be confused about something, there were false reports of Windows XP firewall only working in one direction.

?? Umm XP only blocks incoming not outgoing. So, it is only 1 way.

Agent_24
09-03-2010, 07:43 PM
Actually XP blocks outgoing but I think only under certain conditions.

I'm not sure if you can choose what to block, but if it detects something it doesn't like for some reason, it will block it and then give you the option to unblock it manually.