PDA

View Full Version : Which direction should my fans go?

nedkelly
05-03-2010, 03:11 PM
Hi I currently have 6 fans installed in my case.
1 in the front, 1 in the back, 2 in the side and 2 in the top.
What would be the best direction to have them going?
I know the front one in and back one out but the side and top ones I am not so sure about.

wratterus
05-03-2010, 03:24 PM
Side fans can sometimes do more harm that good, as they have the potential to disrupt the airflow, but not always.

You'd probably be best to have the side fans blowing in, and the top one sucking out as hot air rises...what case do you have?

Paul.Cov
05-03-2010, 04:52 PM
You should get a greater volume of air exchange if you roughly balance the air volume pushed in with the air volume pulled out (unless your case is full of holes, in which case they can all either blow in or all suck out)

If you have a fan close to a particularly hot component (GPU / CPU) then consider having that one exhaust directly.

Also, when trying to balance out the net effect of all the fans, consider that a larger fan moves MUCH more air than a smaller fan.

What you don't want is an area of still air about the warmer components, so where possible, arrange some cross-flow for as much of the case as possible.

You might even be able to get the air going in a vortex around the whole case by using input fans near the outer walls, and exhaust fans near the centre of the sides.

pctek
05-03-2010, 05:41 PM
In at front and sides, out at back.
Top? I'd say out as well.

Chilling_Silence
05-03-2010, 05:47 PM
Just keep in mind that you obviously don't want the airflow blocked once it's coming out or it won't be doing much good so physically position the box well also :)

Agent_24
05-03-2010, 05:53 PM
In at front and sides, out at back.
Top? I'd say out as well.

That's what I'd do too

nedkelly
05-03-2010, 09:03 PM
case is the one in my sig

Aurealis_
05-03-2010, 09:30 PM
there are arrows on the side indicating which direction the air travels in. generally I find the best temperatures come from drawing air in from the front of the pc and extracting it from the rear near the power supply.

Remember that the biggest generators of heat in your computer are the CPU and the graphics card (both next to each other) and the hard drive(s) and that heat rises. Therefore it's best to have cool air to those points (which the front fan provides) and hot air drawn away (which the rear fan takes care of) from them. If your case has a hole for it or if you feel confident to do it then it would be a great idea to put an exhaust fan a the top of the case too to catch rising hot air. Likewise for the side of the case you could install a fan either to intake or exhaust, but I would probably prefer it as an exhaust fan.

So, exhaust fans at the top and the rear of the computer and intake fans at the front, and an intake or exhaust fan for the side of the case.

nedkelly
05-03-2010, 09:58 PM
good thanks

SolMiester
06-03-2010, 07:30 AM
Side fans can sometimes do more harm that good, as they have the potential to disrupt the airflow, but not always.

You'd probably be best to have the side fans blowing in, and the top one sucking out as hot air rises...what case do you have?
+1, and also remember that you can create a negative pressure inside the case as does silverstone cases with that many fan,...too many in my opinion as it just gets too noisey