PDA

View Full Version : Jeez I find Apple tiresome!

Billy T
05-03-2010, 02:15 PM
Per my previous post, I installed iTunes on my computer to test connectivity with the iTunes Store. Naturally, and without asking, it also loaded Quicktime and stuck its usual icon in the quick-launch tool bar.

I removed that excrescence via msconfig, but can't find a way to uninstall Quicktime itself. It doesn't appear in the Add-Remove programs options, nor does it appear to have its own uninstall function.

Short of butchering the program files by deleting anything I can find (which will probably commit me to interminable warnings that the program doesn't feel to good etc and please download again) is there any way I can get rid of it easily and for good?

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :annoyed:

pctek
05-03-2010, 02:27 PM
Uninstall it manually.
Then download one of the many Itunes alternatives.

Speedy Gonzales
05-03-2010, 02:27 PM
Its usually in add/remove (well with any other version of windows that is, besides 2000). Try revo uninstaller if it works with Windows 2000

Aurealis_
05-03-2010, 02:59 PM
What version of Windows are you on Billy? I was able to uninstall Quick Time through the Programs menu, and through the start menu folder for Quick Time.

If neither of those options are present you could just delete the Program Files\Quick Time\ folder. That shouldn't affect anything else. :)

Safari
05-03-2010, 03:09 PM
Well the reason it did not ask if you wanted to install it is because iTunes requires Quicktime to function.
It is not unreasonable to expect if you are installing iTunes you are wanting to use it.

Billy T
05-03-2010, 04:06 PM
Well the reason it did not ask if you wanted to install it is because iTunes requires Quicktime to function. It is not unreasonable to expect if you are installing iTunes you are wanting to use it.

Personally I only used iTunes to rip music CDs for my MP3 player, I tried a lot of alternatives first, but regrettably this was the only free program that did it reliably.

It didn't seem to miss QT in the previous installation at all, but that got lost in the crash of '09. I originally installed iTunes a few years back so maybe I'm wrong and I didn't succeed in getting rid of QT at that time, but I sure thought I did and it certainly stopped annoying me.

Cheers

Billy 8-0{)

pcuser42
05-03-2010, 04:45 PM
Personally I only used iTunes to rip music CDs for my MP3 player, I tried a lot of alternatives first, but regrettably this was the only free program that did it reliably.

I find Windows Media Player reliable enough, but I'm using version 11 which isn't available for Windows 2000 (I think).

bluenose
05-03-2010, 04:58 PM
Its usually in add/remove (well with any other version of windows that is, besides 2000). Try revo uninstaller if it works with Windows 2000

Revo does work with Win2K. Well, on mine it does.

Billy T
05-03-2010, 06:49 PM
Its usually in add/remove (well with any other version of windows that is, besides 2000). Try revo uninstaller if it works with Windows 2000 Ah well, I'm in the dying stages of my W2K period (apart from on my laptop) so this computer will not be used for much after it's retired, it will probably live out its days as a print-server.

For the hell of it I'll try to remove Quicktime anyway.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Agent_24
05-03-2010, 07:32 PM
Quicktime is pretty horrible and iTunes is much worse.

There are many free CD rippers that work - the best one being EAC (Exact Audio Copy). If you want to rip to MP3 you must download the encoder yourself but that's also free and it's not very hard to do either.

I wouldn't bother using anything else, personally, and certainly not iTunes.

Billy T
05-03-2010, 09:46 PM
Quicktime is pretty horrible and iTunes is much worse. There are many free CD rippers that work - the best one being EAC (Exact Audio Copy). If you want to rip to MP3 you must download the encoder yourself but that's also free and it's not very hard to do either. I wouldn't bother using anything else, personally, and certainly not iTunes.

Interesting viewpoint, and while I agree on QuickTime, to my surprise I actually found iTunes to be far and away the best ripper of all that I tried and I tried plenty, most of them recommended by PF1 members. It was fast, could usually download the song titles as well and was effectively fully automatic, I converted a huge number of CDs and it even ejected the disk when finished. All I had to do was take it out, insert the next one, close the tray and away it went again. It was also 100% reliable, while all other rippers failed on various disks.

This is high praise from a confirmed anti-mac user. I avoided it for years because it was bloatware, but the operational simplicity and reliability was such that I forgave the bloat completely. I even tolerated QuickTime once I found how to get rid of it. :D

It's a strange old world........

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

nedkelly
05-03-2010, 10:10 PM
itunes requires quicktime to play movies

Agent_24
06-03-2010, 06:01 AM
EAC can download CD information from FreeDB but you must configure that first.

After the initial setup, EAC works very well

iTunes doesn't choke on scratched CDs etc because when it encounters an error it just flies over the top and makes the data up.

EAC will try its best to read the data properly to ensure a proper copy.

I guess it just depends how much you care about accuracy

I use EAC for three reasons
1) Free
2) Accurate (if you want it to be)
3) Not made by a big corporation which doesn't want to support decent formats like OGG and FLAC
Bonus) It won't even think of putting DRM anywhere.

plod
06-03-2010, 07:50 AM
EAC can download CD information from FreeDB but you must configure that first.

After the initial setup, EAC works very well

iTunes doesn't choke on scratched CDs etc because when it encounters an error it just flies over the top and makes the data up.

EAC will try its best to read the data properly to ensure a proper copy.

I guess it just depends how much you care about accuracy

I use EAC for three reasons
1) Free
2) Accurate (if you want it to be)
3) Not made by a big corporation which doesn't want to support decent formats like OGG and FLAC
Bonus) It won't even think of putting DRM anywhere.
You are wrong, for BillyT to endorse a apple product, it must be right. He just doesn't do it

limepile
06-03-2010, 07:59 AM
For me it's iTunes because it tags all the files correctly, you can change any info manually, it's organised, fast and reliable.

The downside is the formats it doesn't recognise.

QT is crap and I use VLC

Speedy Gonzales
06-03-2010, 08:36 AM
You dont have to install QT, but then if you want to play vids within Itunes, thats when it'll complain, that you need it. QT was a bit flaky. It couldnt even play MP4's (that I recorded off the tuner). It kept on stuttering. And VLC did the same thing often.

Win7 does a good enough job of playing MP4's. At least the Xbox can play them.

All I have to find now, is a program that can sync contacts. Since I used to use Itunes for that. I'll probably use Mediamonkey for whatever songs

Scouse
06-03-2010, 08:41 AM
Hi folks. I'm an innocent in this music field - downloading, ripping and burning. I use and like iTunes and vlc with Vista and seem to cope quite well. This thread has caused me to reconsider the iTunes - is there something wrong with iTunes that I am not aware of? Or is it just a dislike by BillyT?

John H
06-03-2010, 08:47 AM
To the folks using iTunes, what do you do about Bonjour? In fact what does it do, and does it have any useful purpose?

Speedy Gonzales
06-03-2010, 08:52 AM
Only thing, I dont like about QT, is what I wrote above. No point having it, if it cant play anything properly. It either stuttered or froze

Nothing wrong with Itunes. Altho it is a bit bloated. The only thing I used to use it for was syncing contacts, and vids. Didnt need the Itunes store. Never used it. But something like mediamonkey will do the same thing (and its only 7-8 mb).

Or winamp, songbird, double twist. Compared to the latest version of Itunes (95-96 mb)! and it installs too many services, which are probably spying on you

Bonjour is for this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonjour_(software)). I used to disable / uninstall it.

Metla
06-03-2010, 09:19 AM
itunes does more then install QT it installs bonjour and a bunch of services.

I found removing or disabling any of them crippled itunes features I required (When I say required I mean forced on me by ****wit apple mentality).

The result is a bunch of useless crap running 100% of the time on my PC to run a a pointless bloated piece of crap that I not only don't like or want but don't have any choice on.

Apple can go to hell.

plod
06-03-2010, 11:26 AM
itunes does more then install QT it installs bonjour and a bunch of services.

I found removing or disabling any of them crippled itunes features I required (When I say required I mean forced on me by ****wit apple mentality).

The result is a bunch of useless crap running 100% of the time on my PC to run a a pointless bloated piece of crap that I not only don't like or want but don't have any choice on.

Apple can go to hell.

I thought it would be very simple, don't like it don't use it.

gary67
06-03-2010, 01:04 PM
It's easy I didn't buy an Iprat device so don't need Itwat services. I use a cheap DSE mp3 player and just drag and drop from my music folder. No bloated crap from fruit for me :punk

Metla
06-03-2010, 03:38 PM
I thought it would be very simple, don't like it don't use it.

Simple is what other companies do, Apple tie their phone and the applications it uses into a store that is integrated into a freakin overblown media player.

why the hell should I have all those layers of crap running just to load a song onto my phone?

plod
06-03-2010, 03:52 PM
Simple is what other companies do, Apple tie their phone and the applications it uses into a store that is integrated into a freakin overblown media player.

why the hell should I have all those layers of crap running just to load a song onto my phone?

Its only due to your insistence of using crappy apple hardware that you have too use there crappy software. Don't like apples rules, buy a android phone. This is not a dig at you, but if your going to use it this is what happens, or jail break it.

Metla
06-03-2010, 03:56 PM
First and last time I invest in the retarded apple way of doing things.

But your right, what did I expect? The phone is perfectly alright (though way over priced and over-hyped) apart from being crippled by its reliance on the software.

Speedy Gonzales
06-03-2010, 04:00 PM
Well you DONT have to use apple software to use their hardware. There are alternatives, and theyre free and smaller. And you dont have to jailbreak it to use other software

Metla
06-03-2010, 04:04 PM
Meh, The three alternative apps I tried were all reliant on itunes being installed and the associated services running, making them 100 percent pointless and I still require itunes in order to configure the applications on the phone.

Speedy Gonzales
06-03-2010, 04:08 PM
What Mediamonkey, Songbird and Floola / Winamp? You probably need QT if you want to play MP4. Just dont play them (in the program), if you use Win7

lakewoodlady
06-03-2010, 04:20 PM
Apple stuff works fine on my Macbook and Windows stuff works fine on my Windows PC. No probs here!

LL

Metla
06-03-2010, 09:04 PM
What Mediamonkey, Songbird and Floola / Winamp? You probably need QT if you want to play MP4. Just dont play them (in the program), if you use Win7

Heh?

MP4 is not a problem and in way way related to anything I have posted.

Speedy Gonzales
07-03-2010, 08:31 AM
So what 3 programs are you talking about?

Metla
07-03-2010, 01:27 PM
So what 3 programs are you talking about?

No idea, they are long gone.

Have you actually tried to interface an iPhone with a PC?

Speedy Gonzales
07-03-2010, 01:37 PM
Umm no since I havent got one. But I do have an Ipod. But one did work when someone brought theirs over (with Itunes that is). But this should (http://www.copytrans.net/copytransmanager.php) work with Ipods and Iphones

Agent_24
07-03-2010, 02:46 PM
You are wrong, for BillyT to endorse a apple product, it must be right. He just doesn't do it

I used iTunes for about 10 minutes once. It was one of the worst 10 minutes of my life. Completely wasted by a really horrible program (which like Metla said, isn't just crap but also installs a bunch of crap you don't need\want as well)

There are many programs which are just as easy (or easier) that aren't rubbish.

But I prefer quality and features. If it means I have to study the user guide for a week first then so be it. I'd rather the thing do exactly what I want than suck and do what it wants me to want it to do.

Billy T
07-03-2010, 05:11 PM
I used iTunes for about 10 minutes once. It was one of the worst 10 minutes of my life. Completely wasted by a really horrible program (which like Metla said, isn't just crap but also installs a bunch of crap you don't need\want as well)

There are many programs which are just as easy (or easier) that aren't rubbish.

But I prefer quality and features. If it means I have to study the user guide for a week first then so be it. I'd rather the thing do exactly what I want than suck and do what it wants me to want it to do.

Seems I stirred up a bit of a hornet's nest here eh?

Just for the record, I don't play videos, so in the words of that time-honoured expression, QT was gone before lunchtime.

Secondly, I didn't need to read anything to set up iTunes to copy CDs, I had it operational in a couple of minutes, and apart from configuring some screen display preferences, that was it. Put in the CD to be copied, take it out, put in the next CD, take it out. iTunes did exactly what I asked of it and nothing more.

Every single one of the alternatives that I tried (and there were about 5 or 6 of them) failed miserably to match up to that experience, and some were so clunky it wasn't funny. It was a 'horses for courses' situation for me and iTunes won by two laps plus the length of the front straight. I wanted a no hassles CD Ripper and that is exactly what I got.

Others may have had different experiences, but I can only tell it like I saw it so let's move on now.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :2cents:

plod
07-03-2010, 05:36 PM
bloat free install (http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=554)

Metla
07-03-2010, 06:02 PM
Installing itunes to use just as an mp3 ripper would be the actions of a madman,especially in light of all the associated filth it installs along with it.

I love this bit from Plods link.

Understanding how this utility works is crucial; it can and will install software you have explicitly rejected if you donít monitor its actions carefully.

woohoo.. Apple are awesome.

Goddamn I wish itunes/istore could be used as a web based application, Know their crap is on my PC bugs the hell out of me.

Speedy Gonzales
07-03-2010, 06:06 PM
Goddamn I wish itunes/istore could be used as a web based application, Know their crap is on my PC bugs the hell out of me.

Looks like you can here (http://app-store.appspot.com/?url=viewGrouping%3Fid%3D25204%26mt%3D8%26ign-mscache%3D1). Info about it here (http://www.labnol.org/software/browse-itunes-without-installing-software/6657/)

Agent_24
08-03-2010, 07:48 AM
Others may have had different experiences, but I can only tell it like I saw it so let's move on now.

Well if it works for you and you like it then that's all that matters really. But from your description I don't see why you didn't just use Windows Media Player?

sroby
08-03-2010, 12:28 PM
Itunes will also add a plugin into outlook that causes a few issues :badpc: :badpc:
Just why Apple needs an email plugin Im not to sure :mad: :mad:

fred_fish
08-03-2010, 12:56 PM
I wanted a no hassles CD Ripper

CDex

pkm
09-03-2010, 07:57 AM
CDEX!

I too found itunes to run terribly on PCs, on macs its just integrated perfectly.

I prefer software freedom not a prison and annoyance so I use

Ubuntu
- VLC
- lots of music players,totem,banshee....

Windows
- winamp 5.0(not the latest which appears to hijack browser)
-vlc
-cdex
- a DSE mp3 player which plays ogg,and acts like a usb mass storage device.