PDA

View Full Version : is it wrong?

beetle
04-03-2010, 05:11 PM
:stare:

Now i love going to the beach to walk on with the dogs or drive on and go for a little bit and just sit and watch the water,

but i am a compulsive picker upperer, i like to collect shells or stones or sometimes a real neat piece of driftwood........... i have been told its against the law.........

is this true, and should i not pick up a shell or stone etc? ive never taken sand or plants, i just like to take momentos home.....

where do i need to check to see if its illegal?

beetle:rolleyes:

R2x1
04-03-2010, 05:14 PM
If it is illegal, they are going to need A LOT of jails.

Erayd
04-03-2010, 05:27 PM
My understanding is that taking stuff from beaches in small quantities in a personal capacity (i.e. not commercially) is not illegal, except under some particular circumstances.

The closest bit of legislation I could find is section 94.1 (f) of the Reserves Act 1977 (http://legislation.govt.nz/act/public/1977/0066/latest/DLM444971.html#DLM444971):
...Removes or wilfully damages any, or any part of, any wood, tree, shrub, fern, plant, stone, mineral, gravel, kauri gum, furniture, utensil, tool, protected New Zealand object, relic, or thing of any kind, on any reserve...Note that for this law to be in effect the beach you are removing things from must be legally classed as a reserve, which to the best of my knowledge most NZ beaches are not.

There may also be other local bylaws that apply to the particular beaches you're referring to - we'd need to know which local government body is responsible for that beach to give you a more definitive answer.

Please bear in mind that I'm not a lawyer - it's entirely possible that I could be wrong, although I don't think I am.

lakewoodlady
04-03-2010, 05:32 PM
where do i need to check to see if its illegal?

Seriously? I do it every time I travel to Taranaki from Taupo. Hey I reckon thats where the rocks came from originally, so I am just returning them. I'd say grab as much as you like if there is no one around to ask.

LL :rolleyes:

prefect
04-03-2010, 05:36 PM
I wouldnt worry about it when I went oversees I kicked a bit of stone off the Sphinx and pyramid in Giza for a souvenir.

Metla
04-03-2010, 05:46 PM
Your a bad bad girl.

R2x1
04-03-2010, 08:43 PM
As a precaution Police today arrested 87,000 seagulls and 25,000 crabs for disturbing the foreshore. Difficulties are being encountered with waves which are notorious re-offenders.
Tsunamis have been officially warned about false alarms and wasting Police time.

WalOne
04-03-2010, 08:58 PM
As a precaution Police today arrested 87,000 seagulls and 25,000 crabs for disturbing the foreshore. Difficulties are being encountered with waves which are notorious re-offenders.
Tsunamis have been officially warned about false alarms and wasting Police time.

Jonathon Livingstone Seagull, spokeseagull for United Seagulls, issued a formal warning to the police that should they continue their harassment of both seagulls and crabs, they are likely to encounter severe aerial bombardment of excretory matter, and a possible pervasive invasion of pubis crustacea.

The Minister of Police and Police Commissioner are holding urgent talks as to how to counter this threat. As events unfold, more to follow in tomorrows late News.

hueybot3000
04-03-2010, 09:08 PM
If your maori then help yourself to anything you find

R2x1
04-03-2010, 09:12 PM
Already done, and compo claimed by the well oiled Wellington team of claimers.

Ofthesea
04-03-2010, 09:34 PM
If it's not alive and light enough for you to carry just keep doing it.
Start asking officials and they almost have to say no, it's in their nature.