PDA

View Full Version : HP DV6000 Boot Hang

aidanmaz
04-03-2010, 11:08 AM
Im trying tro get an HP DV6000 to boot, it sits and hangs on the HP logo screen, if i press ESC t0 change the boot order, and select the notebook hard drive, it appears to boot. the system does have a BIOS setup password which i do not know, how do i get it to boot normally without having an additional step to start it.

Speedy Gonzales
04-03-2010, 11:09 AM
So, whose laptop is it, if there's a password to get into the BIOS. And you dont know it? Is it yours?

aidanmaz
04-03-2010, 11:11 AM
I work for a 2nd hand traders, we have brought it, original owner doesnt know the password

Speedy Gonzales
04-03-2010, 11:15 AM
see if this works (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOwdSvoYakw)

Sweep
04-03-2010, 11:16 AM
Possibly the person that sold it to you did not own it.

The Hitcher
04-03-2010, 12:30 PM
After you get it running, sell it.

These machines have a known major mobo/nVidia chip fault. Give it a Google, you'll find hundreds of angry HP DV6000 series complaints. There is a Class Action Lawsuit against HP in the USA ...

nedkelly
04-03-2010, 12:40 PM
I have a dv6000. There is a setting in BIOS to say how long you have the HP splash screen up.
@The Hitcher: Really? whats wrong with them?

The Hitcher
04-03-2010, 12:58 PM
@The Hitcher: Really? whats wrong with them?

The mobos are prone to overheating which eventually causes complete failure.
The first sign of a problem is loss of your Wireless. No amount of trying to reinstall the drivers will fix it. Eventually the machine will fail to boot. A replacement board is the only option.
HP will fix under warranty, otherwise they don't want to know.

HP has issued a BIOS update which basically speeds up the CPU fan but it's a workaround, not a permanent fix.

I've had around 20 of these machines come through my office and it isn't pleasant giving our clients the bad news.

nedkelly
04-03-2010, 01:03 PM
Ha glad I dont use my wireless any more. I wonder if that is why my laptop is playing up?

The Hitcher
04-03-2010, 01:06 PM
Ha glad I dont use my wireless any more. I wonder if that is why my laptop is playing up?

If you are seeing any graphics corruption on boot or your laptop hangs on boot from time to time, then yes, most likely.

nedkelly
04-03-2010, 01:10 PM
Hmm hey I figured it out. I use to have a laptop cooling pad with a fan under my laptop but I just bought a Expansion base for my laptop and cant use the cooling pad anymore and that is when I started to have problems. This sucks I want to keep the expansion base cause with it I have 9 usb ports but with out I have 3 (2 if I use the cooling pad)

The Hitcher
04-03-2010, 01:21 PM
If you flash the BIOS with the HP update, never use the laptop on your lap and keep your fingers and toes crossed you might keep your machine going for another year or two.

The update really cranks the fan up so the noise can get a little irritating after a while but your options are limited if you want to use a docking station. Best of luck to you :)

nedkelly
04-03-2010, 01:24 PM
Ok had a look at cpu temp while using the expansion base and it was sitting around 58c.
Put it back on the cooling mat and it is now down to 44c. Think I will only use the expansion base when I need more USB ports.