PDA

View Full Version : Web Design

Aurealis_
04-03-2010, 09:19 AM
Hello My Friends,

I am making a web page for a CD presentation and one of the elements I want to include is a section that will fetch content from another file. Currently the files are in .doc format, but I was thinking I would convert them to .html for the fetch fix to work. Why I am doing things this way is because we have a static contents page, with links to each of the different sections and then the sections are held in .docs as they are constantly updated. My preference would be to have them in .html but because they need to be constantly updated (without needing someone like myself with HTML experience to be present) this wouldn't work here.

Currently I am using the following code

<!--[if IE]> <object classid="clsid:25336920-03F9-11CF-8FD0-00AA00686F13" data="x.html"> <p>backup content</p> </object> <![endif]--> <!--[if !IE]> <--> <object type="text/html" data="x.html"> <p>backup content</p> </object> <!--> <![endif]-->
however this is not optimal for two reasons: it requires the user to 'allow active content' (company computers all use IE) and it doesn't display the page exactly as wanted.

If anyone has any further suggestions that would be very much appreciated. Some notes:
-this project is for CD use only, so server-side-content is not possible
-this project needs to draw from common formats that staff working on the files can export to such as .doc, .html, .pdf.
-this project needs to display the content within a section of the main page

Thanks very much,
Logan ;)

kahawai chaser
04-03-2010, 09:44 AM
What I do for my personal blogs/sites is to upload word docs regularly online to my ISP server, and create a link in my sites for visitors to download. But for CD's won't that mean you would have to constantly burn CD's for updated docs to link/embed in your website? Perhaps upload/refer the docs online for users to view, e.g Google Docs, or the scribd (http://www.scribd.com/) service.

Aurealis_
04-03-2010, 09:50 AM
None of the content will be hosted online. Some will be hosted on an intranet but for the most part everything needs to be on the CD itself. Also, the aim is to keep it within one application, so that users don't have to download/open links and then navigate between applications.