PDA

View Full Version : Broadband consuption 2

jonathan
04-03-2010, 07:01 AM
didn''t want to take up the other person's thread

So, we had telecom's double data promotion, and now our monthly usage is down to 3 gb. anyway, I had a look on our usage meter, because telecom had emailed me saying we had used more than 80%. Trouble is, it was only the second day of this month's usage. So I had a look. for the FIRST DAY, our downloads were 630 mb, and our upload was 2499mb. We have NEVER had our upload more than our downloads, especially not on the first day. I have also included a screenshot of it. If telecom or us can't figure out the problem, it looks like I will be on dial-up speeds from the 10th and onwards.
:thanks

nedkelly
04-03-2010, 07:34 AM
you dont use p2p software do you?

pctek
04-03-2010, 08:03 AM
Malware.
P2P software uploading.
Check that sort of thing first.

jonathan
04-03-2010, 03:40 PM
you dont use p2p software do you?

as far as I am consernd, no. not at all.

pctek, don't know about malware. how would I find out?

EDIT: I just noticed, that today, My upload was 1000 and something mbs. I am now over the limit.

I was thinking, in outlook there is a 36 mb email sitting in the outbox, and I have configured it to send-recieve every minute. whenever I try to send it, it just sits and won't send, its too big. could this be the problem, it trying to send but being unable to? I try to delete it but it says the message has already begun to be uploaded to the server, or else it doesn't say anything at all and doesn't send. could this be the problem, and if so, how would I go about fixing it?

pctek
04-03-2010, 03:53 PM
Download and run:
Hijackthis
Spybot
Malware Bytes

Post the HJT log here.

Chilling_Silence
04-03-2010, 03:59 PM
Yup that's the issue, it'll basically sit there retrying every single time it fails, because the attachment is too large.

Kill it off, split off the attachment with WinZip or something, and re-send. Problem solved, and unfortunately Telecom are unlikely to reimburse you for it.

jonathan
04-03-2010, 04:24 PM
Yup that's the issue, it'll basically sit there retrying every single time it fails, because the attachment is too large.

Kill it off, split off the attachment with WinZip or something, and re-send. Problem solved, and unfortunately Telecom are unlikely to reimburse you for it.

how do I kill it off?

unfortunately Telecom are unlikely to reimburse you for it.
Don't worry, we're switching to slingshot now. telecom's stuffed up too many things now.

SolMiester
04-03-2010, 04:33 PM
How did telecom stuff up your outlook?

jonathan
04-03-2010, 04:51 PM
How did telecom stuff up your outlook?

Don't know, don't care. Slingshot has a better, and cheaper plan for us. So we're going with them

lakewoodlady
04-03-2010, 05:46 PM
Don't know, don't care. Slingshot has a better, and cheaper plan for us. So we're going with them

:lol::lol::lol:
LL

WarNox
04-03-2010, 06:04 PM
Or just close Outlook and check an hour later if the upload has gone up a significant amount.

Wouldn't it be smart if the client checked the file size limit with the SMTP server before sending, not after it has uploaded 10mb :S

Chilling_Silence
05-03-2010, 03:21 PM
Nah coz AFAIK the servers basically just gonna start receiving the email then go "Woah you've already tried to send 10MB, STOP already" and then cancel the send.

Email client then goes "Hey what happened? Did I get cut off? Let me try again".

This isn't Telecoms issue, and to be honest it sounds like you're just using Telecom as a scapegoat so you don't have to take responsibility for a mistake. It's not the end of the world, and changing to Slingshot hardly seems like the solution.

Still, whatever makes you happy, but what's unfortunate is you come off as the kind of person who's likely to bag their ISP, when it's not the ISPs fault... spreading FUD...

jonathan
05-03-2010, 04:42 PM
well, actually, slingshot was offering 15 gb of data, plus a FREE wireless router on a 24 month contract, plus a few more little goodies, for the same price as 3 gb of data with telecom

Speedy Gonzales
05-03-2010, 04:44 PM
Well hopefully you dont leave within 2 years. Or you'll be paying for the price of the modem / router

mxpress
05-03-2010, 05:31 PM
well, actually, slingshot was offering 15 gb of data, plus a FREE wireless router on a 24 month contract, plus a few more little goodies, for the same price as 3 gb of data with telecom

Beware: If it seems to good to be true, then it probably is! Seems to be too big a difference going by your description above. The grass is not always greener (true be known, they are probably reselling telecom broaband anyway)

Chilling_Silence
05-03-2010, 06:45 PM
Yeah it's a throttled plan, not a full-speed ADSL2+ optimised plan as Telecom's is. I must admit however that Slingshot appear to have chosen good quality routers to be giving away!

KarameaDave
05-03-2010, 07:08 PM
Good luck dealing with Slingshot, their Customer Service is a joke!
(in my experience)

Chilling_Silence
05-03-2010, 09:55 PM
+1 .. you're better off to slug it out with Telecom

Dannz
05-03-2010, 09:59 PM
Agreed with above, slingshot support is USELESS (but you cant argue with free offpeak with downloads running at 7mbit!)