PDA

View Full Version : Broadband consumtion

effie c
03-03-2010, 07:49 PM
Hi,
OOPS> Consumption
:help:

This last few months I have been charged for usuage that I need to challenge

After years of using Skype, chess, and funnies on 3 gb space, xtra offered a promo of double the space until December 2009

O K I was intrigued when even then with that 6 gb Promo, I got to 4 or 5 gb used each month, so decided I would pay for the 10 Gb to be safe- this, when xtra ended the promo.

Are Telecom's calibrations suspect?

Last month I got a shock to see - a week before the end of the month ---8 Gb used. A 24 hour complete non computer usuage was aranged, ( computer left running online all night and to 8 am the following day ) with Telecom, to see if there was leakage anywhere,---and although promised, by them in Manilla, I never got a an answer.

I do not have wireless,so no outsider could steel anything.

Question : would funnies downloaded from a mate, then forwarded on to say 6 others be 6 times charged as against what I would have thought was a one charge----- would that show up in my upload total?-- which shows 4 gb uploading for the month and that in itself astounds me--- I never used anything like that before

I know I am far from being 100% literate in computing perfection so can some kind F1 er tell me the answer.
:annoyed:

effie c

gary67
03-03-2010, 08:16 PM
Put a usage meter on your computer especially if it is the only one that has internet access

Chilling_Silence
03-03-2010, 09:43 PM
Nope, when you FWD an email, your ISP then on-sends it to the other recipients, you only send it the once.

I'd run a check on your PC for Malware, spyware, and potentially any form of P2P app in the background that may be running without you realizing ;-)

Agent_24
03-03-2010, 11:13 PM
I've seen a marked increase in my upload since changing to Big Time and getting full speed upstream bandwidth. But then I use bittorrent a lot, so I guess it's expected...

jonathan
04-03-2010, 06:47 AM
same thing happened to me, I'm making a thread right now. I had the double to 6 gb, and then, it ended on the 3rd march as it said. I go onto my usage meter, and it says that on the FIRST DAY (yesterday), I uploaded 1800 mb and downloaded 600mb. that's 2gb out of 3gb on the FIRST DAY.

pctek
04-03-2010, 08:03 AM
Malware?

effie c
04-03-2010, 09:19 AM
Hi PCTEK et al,

Looks like I was right to offer this to F1.

Chilling has just confirmed that when I forward to several, I only get charged for one--Thank you Chilling

I see I have used 878.1 mb since the new month 27 of last month-this means I have used that amount within 7 days--O K perhaps that is not too bad- but I even more challenge xtra on 4 gb upload last month especially seeing I am not charged for mulitple forwardings

I check for Malware and every other potential nasty---EVERY week-nothing comes up from Malwarebytes>Spybot Search >Spyware Terminator>ESET antivirus>Windows 7 firewall> etc--in other words there can be no malware of any sort in my system

Perhaps I should have another go with Telecom, they still have not bothered to reply-- yet by and large I am happy with Telecom--as yet :badpc:

effie c

fred_fish
04-03-2010, 09:46 AM
Run a bandwidth monitor on your PC that keeps logs.
Like BWmonitor (http://www.bwmonitor.com/) or Netmeter (http://www.metal-machine.de/readerror/)

FWIW by Telecom gauge is within 2MB of my router's report of usage.

pctek
04-03-2010, 03:59 PM
I check for Malware and every other potential nasty---EVERY week-nothing comes up

Right.
I know it's obvious but......you do update them all EVERY week first right?

effie c
04-03-2010, 08:00 PM
Hi PCTEK,

of course I update them every week- and always there are updates to download on all my "anti" ware programs evry week
Looking at another post by Jonathan has identical problem

I have no known program that could possibly share files etc-- I installed this W 7 Professional about 6 weeks ago and am very very careful of any unnecessary program as I have only got an 80 gb h/d

I sent a copy of all our deliberations in this F1 theme to Telecom just now and hope I get a respectful answer though I am not holding my breath

If Jonathan can have an identical problem- it can't be my senility from old age
especially with P2P could not possibily be installed I am the only one to use the pooter ( my wife still says "bloody computers" ;-))-- and as such won't come near the machine :eek:

effie c

Aurealis_
04-03-2010, 09:44 PM
Hi,
OOPS> Consumption
:help:

This last few months I have been charged for usuage that I need to challenge

After years of using Skype, chess, and funnies on 3 gb space, xtra offered a promo of double the space until December 2009

O K I was intrigued when even then with that 6 gb Promo, I got to 4 or 5 gb used each month, so decided I would pay for the 10 Gb to be safe- this, when xtra ended the promo.

Are Telecom's calibrations suspect?

Last month I got a shock to see - a week before the end of the month ---8 Gb used. A 24 hour complete non computer usuage was aranged, ( computer left running online all night and to 8 am the following day ) with Telecom, to see if there was leakage anywhere,---and although promised, by them in Manilla, I never got a an answer.

I do not have wireless,so no outsider could steel anything.

Question : would funnies downloaded from a mate, then forwarded on to say 6 others be 6 times charged as against what I would have thought was a one charge----- would that show up in my upload total?-- which shows 4 gb uploading for the month and that in itself astounds me--- I never used anything like that before

I know I am far from being 100% literate in computing perfection so can some kind F1 er tell me the answer.
:annoyed:

effie c

download an application called pipelog mate. It's not perfect but it will tell you how much traffic goes in/out of one network port. It doesn't work very well if you share files on a lan though because if say you transfer a 500mb file between two computers then that adds a 500mb variable to the data o-_O

sorry if I don't make sense; been a long day.

Renmoo
04-03-2010, 10:09 PM
Nobody picked up on Skype?

Skype can easily turn your computer into a supernode, creating a "central server"-like condition in which a lot of the traffic are channeled to your computer first before going to other places.

Turn off Skype whenever you are not using. :)

Agent_24
04-03-2010, 11:19 PM
Didn't know Skype did that as I don't use it

Speedy Gonzales
04-03-2010, 11:36 PM
But if

Any computer hosted on a network that is behind a network address translation (NAT) device or restrictive firewall will disable supernode functionality.

Skype clients behind an HTTP or SOCKS5 proxy will not serve as supernodes. It'll only happen, if Skype is outside a NAT

effie c
05-03-2010, 10:06 AM
Hi,

Skype is off all the time unless,one--=I start it,--- two , an incoming call overides the turned off Skype and I talk with my contact, on their call

By the look of all the comments I am not alone in this big bad worls :blush:

I have now copied and sent to both Telecom and xtra, all the first page arguments,etc as contributed by F1 ers

I have only used 951.8 since February 27 th., month ended- though I have kept away from my music channels which I listen to but do not download--it appears the upload is the problem especially as Chilling stated multiple contacts being forwarded to are treated as one.

If this is so then surely we can locate the culprit- it has to be uploading

effie c

fred_fish
05-03-2010, 10:50 AM
Hi,

Skype is off all the time unless,one--=I start it,--- two , an incoming call overides the turned off Skype and I talk with my contact, on their call
If Skype is OFF you CANNOT GET ANY INCOMING CALLS. So you still have Skype ON.

By the look of all the comments I am not alone in this big bad worls :blush:

I have now copied and sent to both Telecom and xtra, all the first page arguments,etc as contributed by F1 ers

I have only used 951.8 since February 27 th., month ended- though I have kept away from my music channels which I listen to but do not download--You can't listen without downloading data.
it appears the upload is the problem especially as Chilling stated multiple contacts being forwarded to are treated as one.

If this is so then surely we can locate the culprit- it has to be uploading

effie c

Guessing is useless, get some evidence in the form of data use logs.
They will, quite rightly, ignore your wailing unless you can PROVE that you are not using the data they say you are.

fred_fish
05-03-2010, 10:59 AM
But if

Any computer hosted on a network that is behind a network address translation (NAT) device or restrictive firewall will disable supernode functionality.

Skype clients behind an HTTP or SOCKS5 proxy will not serve as supernodes. It'll only happen, if Skype is outside a NAT
Or if it can use UPnP to open ports on your router without your knowledge.

effie c
05-03-2010, 11:06 AM
Hi Fred_fish

I object to your term "stop your wailing"--either be constructive or do something else- this is not being in the
spirit of F1

I cannot be wailing -if so, why do other F1 ers have similar comments

effie c

fred_fish
05-03-2010, 11:28 AM
I didn't say "stop your wailing", that would be rude :).

I DID say that xtra will "ignore your wailing", which, without any evidence, IS really all you are doing.

YOU need to find out, first, if your system actually IS using the data (with a bandwidth monitor), and if so, then what processes on your system are sending and receiving the data.

As previously advised, get ye some tools to enable you to find out what is going on.

Guessing and assuming is getting you nowhere.

wratterus
05-03-2010, 11:36 AM
Isn't the Xtra usage meter broken anyway?

I've given up on it...

fred_fish
05-03-2010, 11:38 AM
Update frequency is a bit painful, but mine seems fairly accurate.

Chilling_Silence
05-03-2010, 03:16 PM
Yeah it's "accurate enough". All other comments members have proven in other threads they did use the data. Unless there's a major issue with their accounting system which will likely affect most people, then Telecom can only presume you have used it, even if without realizing it (Which happens a *lot* more than you would think). 'tis unfortunate, but reality.