PDA

View Full Version : Static on phoneline with filter

Ruby62
03-03-2010, 06:02 PM
I am doing my best to help an elderly lady who has purchased a new corded phone. She has wireless internet running in her home and has put a filter on each jackpoint that has a phone in it, including the new corded phone. There is a terrible static noise on the phone, which is still about half as bad as before we put the filter on the line. Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem may be?

wuppo
03-03-2010, 06:23 PM
Turn off the wireless router / modem and unplug all devices except one phone. If the static has gone, plug in each other phone and modem, one by one, to find the cause.
If the static is still there, try another wired phone (i.e. only one at a time). If the static is still there, the problem is most likely in a connection somewhere. The phone company can perform a test on the line to verify a problem and send a technician if necessary. If you don't pay wiring maintenance on your phone bill, there may be a charge if the problem is within the house.

nedkelly
03-03-2010, 06:31 PM
I bet the frequencies are very close

Morgenmuffel
03-03-2010, 06:31 PM
Slight Hijack

Dumb question are you supposed top have an adsl/phone filter on every jackpoint that goes to a phone, as we don't and the one that doesn't has quite bad interference/static

nedkelly
03-03-2010, 06:37 PM
Yes. I was told that every phone in the house needs one unless you have one put on the line by a phone guy for if you have more than 4 phones in the house.

coldot
03-03-2010, 08:08 PM
Sorry to come in a bit late on this one, but I wonder about "corded phone" and "wired phone"? They are the same thing. Are you sure that there isn't a 'cordless' phone involved as some of them run on same frequency as wireless modem.

Ruby62
05-03-2010, 09:20 AM
Thanks for your replies so far. Here is the situation:
The lady lives in a house with three stories. Each floor has one phone jack.
On the top floor she has a filter in the phone jack with a double socket - the Dlink router is plugged into one socket and an old corded phone is plugged into the other one. The Dlink router has a Belkin wireless router plugged into it connected with a blue cable.
On the middle floor she has the new corded phone plugged in to the phone jack (there is a filter in the phone jack). Also on the middle floor is her laptop and this is her only computer in the house.
On the bottom floor she has another phone plugged into that jack with a filter as well.
I have tried the new corded phone on both the middle and bottom floors and there is static on the line. When I unplugged the filter and plugged the phone back into the phone jack the static was louder.
On the top floor I unplugged the router from the filter and got her to pick up the phone on the middle level and she said the static had gone. (So certainly the wireless router has something to do with all of this).
Also on the top level I plugged the new corded phone into the filter socket and there was no static on the line in that phone jack.
So in summary the phone works ok on the top floor, in the same filter as the router, but not on the other floors of the house.
There is no cordless phone involved so there shouldn't be a frequency clash.
I am stumped! I thought that by putting filters on all the phone jacks that would mean that all the phones would work fine. Any other ideas? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Safari
05-03-2010, 09:38 AM
It sounds as if everything is ok if the old phone is not plugged in.

rumpty
05-03-2010, 10:42 AM
Can you turn off the "wireless" aspect of the router, to see if there is any improvement?

lakewoodlady
05-03-2010, 10:43 AM
On the top floor I unplugged the router from the filter and got her to pick up the phone on the middle level and she said the static had gone. (So certainly the wireless router has something to do with all of this).
Also on the top level I plugged the new corded phone into the filter socket and there was no static on the line in that phone jack.

If the "old corded phone" is a "Pert" phone from the 80s then that is most likely to be the problem. Either that or one of the filters is faulty.

LL

pctek
05-03-2010, 11:54 AM
Coldot: All phones, faxes and dialup modems (including the one Sky uses) needs a filter.
The adsl modem does not.
Filters can be faulty.

Agent_24
05-03-2010, 12:15 PM
The router or the filter that the router uses could be faulty, going by your description that the static stopped when you unplugged it.

Ruby62
05-03-2010, 07:15 PM
Thanks for all your suggestions. I will go around again and try a few more things like unplugging the old corded phone to see if that makes a difference. Also I'll see if I can turn off the wireless aspect of the router. Does anyone else have any other suggestionss?

wuppo
05-03-2010, 09:39 PM
Ruby62, you've done well so far with your troubleshooting!

Since the new phone is quiet when plugged into the filter on the top floor (and noisy elsewhere), we need to establish whether the filters on the other floors are poor, or there is a wiring fault. Can you remove the double filter from the top floor and plug the modem straight into the phone socket? (You may have an issue with the plug size, if the double filter has a 'small' socket for the modem). The modem does not need a filter - the modem socket on the double filter is a 'straight through' connection for convenience.

If you can plug the modem straight into the phone socket - take the filter and phone from the top floor and plug it into the phone socket on one of the other floors, and see if the noise has gone. If so, you need better filters on those floors. If you can't plug the modem directly to the phone socket, because of the plug size, can you borrow another filter from someone to try on the other floors?

Ruby62
05-03-2010, 10:08 PM
The filters on the lower and middle story are both new filters that she purchased from Dick Smith this week. The only old filter is the one where the modem is plugged in.(and the phone works fine up there)
The modem plug is one of the small ones, and wouldn't plug directly into the jackpoint, it plugs into the double filter in the smaller socket.
I won't be able to get back there until Monday, so will endeavour to move filters and phones around to try and figure it all out then. Thanks for your suggestions, much appreciated.

coldot
08-03-2010, 08:45 AM
Is the phone outlet on top floor a more recent installation? (Or are any of the three sockets new installation?)
If a new socket is a 2 wire and the older ones 3 wire, extending the wrong pair of wires can lead to conflict. The older phones and sockets may have a bell circuit and the new phone does not. That could mean the new phone is affected by the wireless signal picked up on the wrong wire.
(By the way, is the wireless broadband performing fully to expectations?)