PDA

View Full Version : Powerpoint presentations to TV

Paul Ramon
03-03-2010, 12:28 PM
A local business has asked me to find out about setting up a computer (yet to be built..specs?) almost solely to run powerpoint presentations to about a 50 inch LCD TV in an office/ showroom. I'm a bit clueless when it comes to TV settups. Has anybody had experience with this & what would they need??

Speedy Gonzales
03-03-2010, 12:38 PM
Just get a card with TV out, or HDMI if the TV supports it

CYaBro
03-03-2010, 12:52 PM
I would look at an Asus EeeBox or something similar if that's all it's going to be used for.
The newer models have HDMI output.

Chilling_Silence
03-03-2010, 01:09 PM
Most LCD's of that size (All the semi-recent models at least) that I know of seem to have VGA inputs anyways, so you can literally just get a male <-> male VGA cable, and same for a male <-> male 3.5mm (headphone jack) cable.

Check first what it has on the back of it, you may not need anything special at all :)

Roscoe
03-03-2010, 02:09 PM
Most LCD's of that size (All the semi-recent models at least) that I know of seem to have VGA inputs anyways, so you can literally just get a male <-> male VGA cable, and same for a male <-> male 3.5mm (headphone jack) cable.

Check first what it has on the back of it, you may not need anything special at all :)

You beat me too it. You would run the presentation in exactly the same way as to a data projector and set up the PC to run dual screen. Simple.

If you have not done it before you will find a "Connect to a Projector" in Control Panel that makes life easy. Once set up the PC should remain in that dual screen mode even when you shut down and restart so you need only set it up once.

Paul Ramon
03-03-2010, 02:13 PM
Would they need a decent speced video card to run the large TV?

wainuitech
03-03-2010, 02:44 PM
Are the Powerpoints going to be used as a display, EG something that runs over and over with no inter-reaction - OR as a presentation, that has an area talked about, possible questions asked, then move onto the next slide ?

If its the first one mentioned above, doing it in PP is a damn expensive way to go.

nmercer
03-03-2010, 02:46 PM

any modern video card should do, these days

nmercer
03-03-2010, 02:58 PM
if its just a basic presentation, probably a laptop is overkill

you might want to consider using PowerPoint to save it as a video .WMV file

and then use Windows DVD maker to burn it to a DVD

Then you can get one of those el cheapo $50 DVD players from the supermarket and plug that into your TV

Paul Ramon
03-03-2010, 03:10 PM
Are the Powerpoints going to be used as a display, EG something that runs over and over with no inter-reaction - OR as a presentation, that has an area talked about, possible questions asked, then move onto the next slide ?

If its the first one mentioned above, doing it in PP is a damn expensive way to go.

From what they have told me so far, it's going to be both. As it's a realestate company they want to do ppt presentations for inhouse auctions & do property presentations also, which I say would be easy just using the Windows photo viewer slide show so no problem there. Some of the ppt presentations would incorporate video (avi & wmv)

wainuitech
03-03-2010, 03:29 PM
Hmmmm being both then a PC / Laptop of some kind will be better, I have set up a similar show in one of the real estate companies here, they have their current homes on a continuous slide show running through a Cheap DVD player in the reception area on a 42" LCD TV, made with Photo DVD Maker - (thats several years back - way before windows had basically the same thing).

BUT if there are avi's within a PP then that wont work.

CYaBro
03-03-2010, 03:36 PM
The problem with making everthing into a DVD is the loss in quality when showing it on a nice hi-def 50" screen.
At least if you use a computer of some sort then photos can stay in their original resolution.

Chilling_Silence
03-03-2010, 03:46 PM
BUT if there are avi's within a PP then that wont work.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291879

Roscoe
03-03-2010, 04:03 PM

If you are connecting from the VGA output on the PC to the VGA input on the TV then no video card required. It works exactly the same as using a data projector which is also VGA to VGA. Easy peasy.

wainuitech
03-03-2010, 04:18 PM
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291879 Read the whole thing correctly, and quote the WHOLE answer - I said if the PP was converted to DVD, and there are avi's within it, then they wont work, in other words a avi playing within a already playing DVD.

wainuitech
03-03-2010, 04:40 PM
Add to above - you need to read all the answers from others as well to get the "gist" of the discussion / Suggestions so far as a DVD was mentioned but playing a AVI from within a DVD is a no go.

waldok
03-03-2010, 08:41 PM
Like others have said, many modern laptops and almost all TVs have HDMI. Get HDMI capability at both ends, and you'll be sweet.

From my home setup I've found that LCD TVs have strange resolutions (like 1366x768) but are otherwise just like using a second computer monitor.

For the PowerPoint, make sure you change the page setup to the same aspect ratio as the TV or it will look letterboxed with black borders. If you're using the fancy new slide transitions with PowerPoint 2010 or playing hi-res movies in the slide show you should consider a decent graphics card in the setup for it to be super smooth.

I really liked this demo of what can be done with PowerPoint, though this is really a work of art that must've taken many hours to create!
http://www.istartedsomething.com/20091207/powerpoint-2010s-five-rules-sample-presentation/

cheers
W

Chilling_Silence
03-03-2010, 09:42 PM
Read the whole thing correctly, and quote the WHOLE answer - I said if the PP was converted to DVD, and there are avi's within it, then they wont work, in other words a avi playing within a already playing DVD.

Fair enough, though AFAIK there's no direct route for converting a powerpoint .ppt file to a DVD .VOB files is there?

wainuitech
03-03-2010, 10:08 PM
Fair enough, though AFAIK there's no direct route for converting a powerpoint .ppt file to a DVD .VOB files is there? I gave This converter (http://www.effectmatrix.com/PowerPoint-Video-Converter/Free-PowerPoint-Video-Converter.htm) a go - the free version was so-so to .avi - then I tried the same PPT in HD (Gives a Watermark) BUT good enough to test it. HUGE difference - there is a chart near the bottom of the page that shows what version does what.

The original PPT I tried is 864KB (15 Slides - Nod32 promo) - When converted to XviD HD it had grown to 67.4MB

IF it were a straight PPT > AVI/DVD - then it could be played Via the WD TV (http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=734) with a USB drive - plugged into the TV.

Chilling_Silence
04-03-2010, 04:01 PM
WDTV Live FTW! :D