PDA

View Full Version : Think they must of just changed me to ADSL2

Trev
03-03-2010, 11:21 AM
Click Here (http://www.speedtest.net/result/735001949.png)According to Telecoms site it wasn't due till April.
:)

wratterus
03-03-2010, 11:23 AM
Nice speed.

Sweet.

We aren't due till June or July next year. :crying

Trev
03-03-2010, 11:25 AM
Fixed it :p

SolMiester
03-03-2010, 11:48 AM
Hi Trev, where are you, I'm in Tamatea, we went adsl2+ about end of Jan this year

Trev
03-03-2010, 12:06 PM
Marewa.
:)

pctek
03-03-2010, 12:13 PM
We will never get ADSL2+. Sob.

Chilling_Silence
03-03-2010, 12:29 PM
They allow 90 days either side of the ETA as a "window", so it's entirely possible, yes :)

Cato
03-03-2010, 12:33 PM
I wasn't due till jan this year...

I saw a chorus van working across the street. Had ADSL2+ a few days later, in september, I think?

Zippity
03-03-2010, 12:38 PM
That sux :( :(

From a suburb in Wellington sans telephone poles.

Sweep
03-03-2010, 12:40 PM
We will never get ADSL2+. Sob.

But the Gov will ensure you get fibre to the home by spending your money that you pay in TAXES.

It has to be better than ADSL2+

Battleneter2
03-03-2010, 01:12 PM
But the Gov will ensure you get fibre to the home by spending your money that you pay in TAXES.

As long as Telecom dont somehow end up in control of it yes lol. But yea ADSL2+ is a waste of time and money its a band-aid. The OP is lucky most people get nothing like that speed, must be close to the cabinate or Exchange and have good copper.

Chilling_Silence
03-03-2010, 01:12 PM

Unfortunately thats the opposite of the truth:
http://chillingsilence.wordpress.com/2009/12/16/what-you-never-knew-that-you-needed-to-know-about-broadband-and-fibre-to-the-home/

* There is already around 1300 of the proposed 3500 deployed. Upon completion Chorus aims to provide over 80% of New Zealand with access to a connection of between 10 & 20mps by the end of 2011.
* The Government proposed FTTH initiative (Which is costing the government alone $1.5b) is expecting to cover 75% by around 2021.

You're more likely to get "coverage" through Telecom / Chorus than you are the Govt Fibre rollout ;)

SolMiester
03-03-2010, 01:51 PM
As long as Telecom dont somehow end up in control of it yes lol. But yea ADSL2+ is a waste of time and money its a band-aid. The OP is lucky most people get nothing like that speed, must be close to the cabinate or Exchange and have good copper.

Yeah, I get 12-13mb/s down, about 500kb/sup, very unbalanced.....I might see if the boss will go for fibre, we can then get replication for offsite DR

Battleneter2
03-03-2010, 02:50 PM
Yeah, I get 12-13mb/s down, about 500kb/sup, very unbalanced.....I might see if the boss will go for fibre, we can then get replication for offsite DR

Thats actually pretty good for ADSL2, but yea the upstream is still woeful on ADSL2 so small residential web based type businesses etc may be restricted which is not great for NZ growth.

Not to mention 10-15mb/s down seems decent by today's standards but doesn't add any future proofing for tomorrow average requirements.

Telecom loves ADSL2 because it keeps most of NZ on the local loop be it retail or there wholesale while "improving broadband" lol. Clearly there are people here that buy into that and cant understand the desperate need for a 2nd fiber competing residential network. Then we all just have to worry about Telecom international data charges, but one step at a time ah :)

SolMiester
03-03-2010, 03:54 PM
Thats actually pretty good for ADSL2, but yea the upstream is still woeful on ADSL2 so small residential web based type businesses etc may be restricted which is not great for NZ growth.

Not to mention 10-15mb/s down seems decent by today's standards but doesn't add any future proofing for tomorrow average requirements.

Telecom loves ADSL2 because it keeps most of NZ on the local loop be it retail or there wholesale while "improving broadband" lol. Clearly there are people here that buy into that and cant understand the desperate need for a 2nd fiber competing residential network. Then we all just have to worry about Telecom international data charges, but one step at a time ah :)

Yeah, well work provides my BB for support, however I now have several older server at home begging me to setup tier 3 storage for site to site block replication....

Chilling_Silence
03-03-2010, 03:54 PM
Clearly there are people here that buy into that and cant understand the desperate need for a 2nd fiber competing residential network.

There's already a handful of Fibre networks in Auckland (just for example) and quite often more than 1 across the country. Residents can generally get them but it's the monthly cost that makes it unaffordable, and that's regardless of Telecom being the wholesale supplier or not.

http://broadbandmap.govt.nz/map/MapSearchForm?q=Auckland&action_search2=Go&RegionID=&UpSpeed=&DownSpeed=&Technology=&SecurityID=825452251

In the CBD (Again just for example):
Vector
Telecom Group
Kordia
FX Networks
KAREN
Bush Wireless
Compass Communications

Not to mention "high-speed" services from Woosh, ADSL2+ from Telecom Wholesale, Vodafone 3G.

Call me frugal but I can think of many BETTER ways to spend $10,000,000,000 on this country, even if the Govt only fronts $1->2billion...