Speedy Gonzales
02-03-2010, 09:08 PM
If anyone uses it

zqwerty
02-03-2010, 09:15 PM
Thanks, I use the portable version

Speedy Gonzales
02-03-2010, 09:19 PM
Sweet. It looks pretty good in Win7. It seems to be a lot faster than FF. Well in here anyway

tweak'e
02-03-2010, 09:36 PM
thx :)

Chilling_Silence
02-03-2010, 10:59 PM
Tempted to give it a whirl and compare to Chrome :D

notechyet
03-03-2010, 05:15 AM
Tempted to give it a whirl and compare to Chrome :D
While you're talking about Chrome; does it have a (bookmark) sidebar plugin or extension?

Lawrence
03-03-2010, 06:47 AM
Been using Opera for about 8 years (since the 6 series) ,easily configurable for your own tastes and with the advent of Osie backup tool http://www.pallax.com/~discostu/opera/osie/ makes the deployment of a new build a breeze as you have less problems installing to a new folder than just upgrading

robjg63
03-03-2010, 10:52 AM
Whats not to like - it had tabbed browsing years before anyone else did, It works fast, has built in email client and (basic) bittorrent client and seems to get very good safety ratings.
Beats me why it doesnt have a bigger user base.

The only thing I dont like about 10.5 is they moved a 'panel' icon from the top of the screen to the bottom. If you click that icon it pops out a sidebar where you can cehck you mail/history/bookmarks etc. Seems dumb to have it lurking down the bottom of the screen now. (I did find a way to move it to the top - but it seemed like a dumb default location to move it to the bottom of the screen)

Chilling_Silence
03-03-2010, 12:27 PM
Haven't had a chance to play a lot with the lovely features, but so far I'm liking it :D

http://chillingsilence.wordpress.com/2010/03/03/opera-10-5-vs-chrome-5-0-dev-fastest-browser-on-earth/

Not interested in a mail / bittorrent client, not a fan of how the gadgets are all external applications (I like how Chromes done it), but in terms of speed and "being a browser" I think Opera may just have an edge :D

Speedy Gonzales
03-03-2010, 12:32 PM
At least I managed to find a urlfilter file so it blocks everything, in Opera. And, at least passwords work. Cant say the same for Chrome. Yup, same here I'm not worried about a BT client either. Even if I used it, I cant be bothered adding the port to the router, so it works. Only thing I hated about FF, was it used (still does, even with 3.6), to bring up about:blank sites often. And it was starting to annoy me ! So, I got rid of it

Cato
03-03-2010, 12:35 PM
Don't forget the IRC client!

Hum... Opera update seems to only see 10.10... Have to go to their damned website and download from there :(

Edit: Looks absolutely brilliant!

Speedy: I use Hydra IRC but it's nice to know opera does have it. :)

Speedy Gonzales
03-03-2010, 12:37 PM
Nah I use Mirc for IRC.

Chilling_Silence
03-03-2010, 01:10 PM
Pidgin FTW!

paulw
03-03-2010, 01:12 PM
If anyone uses it

Yes. Pity the changed the Opera default color scheme about two betas ago..

robbyp
03-03-2010, 01:19 PM
Whats not to like - it had tabbed browsing years before anyone else did, It works fast, has built in email client and (basic) bittorrent client and seems to get very good safety ratings.
Beats me why it doesnt have a bigger user base.

The only thing I dont like about 10.5 is they moved a 'panel' icon from the top of the screen to the bottom. If you click that icon it pops out a sidebar where you can cehck you mail/history/bookmarks etc. Seems dumb to have it lurking down the bottom of the screen now. (I did find a way to move it to the top - but it seemed like a dumb default location to move it to the bottom of the screen)

It also has preview tabs, which if you vertically resize the tabs, it will show you the pages on those tabs. Other browsers don't do that.

FoxyMX
03-03-2010, 02:00 PM
Yes. Pity the changed the Opera default color scheme about two betas ago..

I quite like it. If it is not to your taste you can easily change it with Opera Skins (http://my.opera.com/community/customize/skins/).

Chilling_Silence
03-03-2010, 03:57 PM
It also has preview tabs, which if you vertically resize the tabs, it will show you the pages on those tabs. Other browsers don't do that.

Yeah an interesting feature. Not sure if I like it coz it takes up a fair bit of screen real-estate, but the "live mousover" previews are certainly nice :)

Cato
03-03-2010, 04:00 PM
You need a new monitor Chill.

It does not seem very stable to me. So far I have had it freeze on me twice (within the 30 odd mins I have used it) - with gmail.

Other than that I am fairly impressed.

Cato
03-03-2010, 04:02 PM
Ok, now I am un-impressed. You can't drag a tab to the speed dial anymore. That's pretty lame, IMO.

Speedy Gonzales
03-03-2010, 04:12 PM
And too bad, voice doesnt work in 64 bit

Morgenmuffel
03-03-2010, 05:05 PM
Ok, now I am un-impressed. You can't drag a tab to the speed dial anymore. That's pretty lame, IMO.

yes you can, I just did,
have speed dial page open, right click and drag the tab you want on to it

robbyp
03-03-2010, 05:10 PM
You need a new monitor Chill.

It does not seem very stable to me. So far I have had it freeze on me twice (within the 30 odd mins I have used it) - with gmail.

Other than that I am fairly impressed.

I've been using all day, and have 20 tabs open, and it hasn't crashed once.

Cato
03-03-2010, 06:59 PM
Another freeze up for me. This is getting annoying.

It hasn't crashed, but it freezes for 20 odd seconds and works again. Just plain annoying.

Nigel, yep that worked. Thanks for the tip.

Speedy Gonzales
03-03-2010, 07:02 PM
There's something wrong with your system / what youre doing then. I've been using it all day and its been fine. It does use a bit of ram tho. I've only got 2 tabs open, and its up to 143 mb

paulw
03-03-2010, 07:13 PM
I quite like it. If it is not to your taste you can easily change it with Opera Skins (http://my.opera.com/community/customize/skins/).

True. But the ones I liked won't work with Opera 10.5. Will have to wait until they are updated.. I like the default that came out with 10.5 beta..

Chilling_Silence
03-03-2010, 09:44 PM
Im with Speedy, I *live* in Gmail (4 different gmail accounts open in Opera right now) and it's fine. I've got 7 tabs open and it's up to 350MB RAM use though :p

mzee
04-03-2010, 09:35 PM
My problem with Opera 10 series is that it does not see DHTML drop menus. All previous versions do.

In version 10.5 I can not find any simple settings like the default home page, and the download folder.

Why didn't they leave it alone?

paulw
05-03-2010, 08:32 AM
My problem with Opera 10 series is that it does not see DHTML drop menus. All previous versions do.

In version 10.5 I can not find any simple settings like the default home page, and the download folder.

Wonder if this has something to do with the fact that the "Go to last comment" in the Aardvark Daily forums no longer works..

Morgenmuffel
06-03-2010, 08:34 AM

Just click on the top left opera icon --> Settings --> Preferences --> General Tab

Alternately you can turn on the menu bar if thats easier
Just click on the top left opera icon --> Click "Show Menu Bar"

Drop Menus -- could you give me an example, as I haven't come across this yet