PDA

View Full Version : Gamer mouse

EFFIGY
02-03-2010, 07:30 PM
Your opinions and suggestions for replacing my router were so great I'm back for more:p
I'd like to pick the collective gamer brains here for a mouse and keyboard for a 13 year old gamer. $250 is the budget. (50 year old gamer may use them on occasion). :)
Looking at Logitech G500 and G15.
Intrigued with Wolfclaw....??
Opinions will be treated as such. I hold no one responsible for my final decision.

qazwsxokmijn
02-03-2010, 08:03 PM
Personally I've had an MS Sidewinder X5, and an OCZ Eclipse. Like the X5 better, currently own one too.

trinsic
02-03-2010, 08:04 PM
Subjective but the most voted mouse on GamePlanet Forums is the Logitech MX518, I've owned many of them and they're one of the cheapest 'gaming' mouses you can get. Other mouses to be recommended are the Microsoft IE 3.0 and Razer Deathadder.

The IE 3.0 and MX518 can be had for under $60 and all three are optical (typically better for gaming as they have less problems). All three are full grip mice but the MX518 is the winner in that regard due to its design, not saying its better its more of a preference how you hold your mice.

DeSade
02-03-2010, 08:15 PM
I use the Logitech G9, very nice mouse.

hueybot3000
02-03-2010, 08:28 PM
I use a g5, Good versitile mouse. Good with games but also good with general use.

And G15 keyboard is pretty cool too, although I dont use alot of its features cos im just not hardcore gamer enough to figure it out. Worth every cent though

lagbort
02-03-2010, 09:17 PM
I just replaced my original g5 that finaly wore out and got a g500.

It is the same mouse internally as the g9x but in the same shape body as the g5 so much more comfortable (imho) and crucially, cheaper than the g9x.

EFFIGY
02-03-2010, 11:05 PM
so... save the keyboard for later?
When he can buy his own?

Battleneter2
03-03-2010, 08:37 AM
I have a Logitech M950, works nearly any surface including glass which is what my desktop is made of. Bit pricey though can be had for $135

Very nice mouse fits in the hand prefect well balanced etc. It may not be suitable for VERY hard core gamers due to being wireless but the reality there is there is no lag so fine for 99% of us :P

http://nzgamer.com/pc/features/830/logitech-perfomance-m950-mouse-review.html

pctek
03-03-2010, 08:38 AM
MX518, MX510.

As for the keyboards, I've owned a G15.
I can say I think they are overrated for gaming. If you think you will use the macros then fine, if not, don't bother.

They also were probably the worst kb Logitech ever made too.

Wolfclaw? Same thing, I'm currently using a Gigabyte K6800.
Nothing fancy, just a nice keyboard.

wratterus
03-03-2010, 09:07 AM
I use a g5, Good versitile mouse. Good with games but also good with general use.

And G15 keyboard is pretty cool too, although I dont use alot of its features cos im just not hardcore gamer enough to figure it out. Worth every cent though

Exactly the same as me - love the G5 (Get the G500 though if you like the G5 shape, that's the newer one,) and I've got the G11, don't like the new (orange backlit) G15. You've gotta be very careful getting the G15s there are 3 to choose from, and two look identical. Get the G500 though if you like the G5 shape, that's the newer one. The G11 is ideal, if you don't want the screen.

The first one (That pctek is talking about) wasn't very good. They amended this, but never really admitted there was a problem so they just made more that look the same, but the issues that the 1st one had were fixed. If you can find any new Blue G15 it should be the later version (I've got one of those, it's had a bashing and is none worse for the wear. I even fed it most of a tui stubbie one time, after pulling it apart and cleaning it, it was all good again.)

The new ones are fine, but IMO they don't look as good and if you are buying the G15 it's normally for the G keys, and the new one has dramatically reduced numbers, and they are harder to use without looking at the keyboard.

If you play warcraft at all IMO the newer G15 isn't your best bet.

wratterus
03-03-2010, 09:25 AM
OK I managed to ruin that post, got sidetracked twice during writing it.

Let's try again.
I love the G5 (Get the G500 though if you like the G5 shape, that's the newer one,) and I've got the G11, don't like the new (orange backlit) G15. You've gotta be very careful getting the G15s there are a few to choose from. The G11 is ideal, if you don't want the screen, cause it's blue backlit and doesn't have the problems that the original G15 had.

The new ones are fine, but IMO they don't look as good and if you are buying the G15 it's normally for the G keys, and the new one has dramatically reduced numbers, and they are harder to use without looking at the keyboard.
If you play warcraft at all IMO the newer G15 isn't your best bet, maybe go for the G11.