PDA

View Full Version : Laptop - VGA - TV = screen resolution problems

--Wolf--
02-03-2010, 07:18 PM
Got a VGA cable to go from laptop to LCD tv...connected it up and when I plug it in I can't get the correct resolution on my laptop. On the TV it's fine, but when plugged in, on my laptop it loses it's widescreen (big black boxes on each side of the screen), and my tv is widescreen also. In the settings it says it's 1024 x 768 but normally my laptop is 1366 x 768. I'm simply duplicating the screens but I'm guessing my TV is just not as wide as my laptop, is there anyway to fix this and have them both showing the same image with them both at their correct native resolution? If that makes sense.

Speedy Gonzales
02-03-2010, 07:23 PM
What video drivers are on the laptop? Nvidia or ATI? You should be able to stretch it to the width of the screen, in the settings somewhere

--Wolf--
02-03-2010, 07:28 PM
Nvidia, haven't seen the option to stretch it, when i try and change it to it's normal resolution it says it can't.

nedkelly
02-03-2010, 07:30 PM
Are you trying to mirror the laptop screen or have two different images? I had this problem with my older toshiba laptop. Would plug in external screen and it would make my laptop screen play up. In the end played around with the fn F5 keys until I turned mirroring off and dual monitors on.

--Wolf--
02-03-2010, 07:32 PM
Just trying to mirror/duplicate it, same image on both screens.

nedkelly
02-03-2010, 07:42 PM
oh well when doing that you can not have two different resolutions I think.