PDA

View Full Version : OC Core 2 Duo or get Core 2 Quad or i7 Overhaul?

almightynugget
02-03-2010, 03:32 PM
I've been thinking about either Overclocking my Core 2 Duo to its maximum with an aftermarket fan (Thermalright 120 Extreme) dunno how much i can go till...

Or buying a Core 2 Quad

Or just getting an i7 Setup for around $1000

The PC is being used for gaming... mainly and my CPU is a huge bottle neck.

CPU: Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 2.8 GHz Stock Cooler
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 5850
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4
RAM: 3.5GB
Case: Thermaltake Matrix Mid tower

I will still have to save up a heap if i am to buy the i7 setup or just save up a bit more for the Core 2 Quad.

Right now im able to run crysis/Warhead just over 30 FPS and i want to play it really well and also future proof my system for at least 2 years more of gaming till i have to do a massive upgrade.

I plan on getting a second HD 5850 down the line when it cant max out games anymore so its mainly the CPU im wanting to future proof for the next 2 years. (minimum)

- So should i get an after market fan and OC my CPU NOW and buy the i7 upgrade in 8 months?

- Get a quadcore in a months time?

- Get an i7 upgrade in 3-4 months time?

Please help me i have done the research but i want to know what other people would do in my shoes.

Thanks

Deimos
02-03-2010, 04:10 PM
Wait and get an i7

nedkelly
02-03-2010, 04:11 PM
which also means new mobo

wratterus
02-03-2010, 04:20 PM
If you are planning on eventually getting 2x 5850s, I would wait for the i7.

qazwsxokmijn
02-03-2010, 04:51 PM
http://alienbabeltech.com/main/?p=13454

My suggestion is if you don't have the odd $1000 for then get a second hand Q9xxx CPU or just overclock you E6600 to 3.2GHz+, which should be nicely achievable under a TRUE120.

JJJJJ
03-03-2010, 07:40 AM
The only real answer to your question is get an i7. It will meet all your needs for quite some time. You realise of course you will probably have to get a new computer.There's not much in your present box you will be able to use.
If money is the problem I would suggest you don't spend anything on your present rig. Just save,save, save.
Jack

SolMiester
03-03-2010, 08:13 AM
I would also suggest you stay with one GPU, micro-stutter or waiting for AMD game profiles is still an issue. If the 5850 is not enough??, get the 5870.

Battleneter2
03-03-2010, 08:16 AM
Well its interesting, we are seeing more and more games benefit from quads.

Most of them are either co-developed for consol or strait ports. Dragon Age, Mass Effect2, Boderlands to name a few. I think its poor codeing probably ported from the Xbox360 but either way they are horendous CPU hogs as long as you have a higher end GPU that is not the bottleneck early. Even a Core2 duo @3gig are starting to struggle in some of these. Crysis is not a CPU hog by today's standard as it fully optimised for PC.

One example....There's patches to improve things now but u get the idea.
http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,698761/Dragon-Age-Origins-CPU-benchmarks-75-percent-boost-for-quad-cores/Practice/

"If" the trend continues you might be struggling, but I guess a $120 after market cooler may get you to 3.4Ghz as long as your board and processor will get you there, which may see you ok for a while.

hueybot3000
03-03-2010, 05:47 PM
Console ports are probaly the reason that higher end gaming gear still sells. GTA4 for example is terribly unoptimized.

Before my i7 I had an e6600, had it OC'd easily to 3.6ghz on water. Was enough grunt to play most games max settings. With an aftermarket cooler you should be over the 3ghz mark which will keep your system fast enough while you save for i7, and its worth the save. It was even worth the impulse buying I did lol

hueybot3000
03-03-2010, 05:48 PM

Battleneter2
04-03-2010, 12:16 PM
Console ports are probaly the reason that higher end gaming gear still sells. GTA4 for example is terribly unoptimized.

Yea good call GTA4 another great example, unfortunately it looks like the future. Having said that console hardware doesn't move so once you have a PC above a certain spec later games will run fine until the next generation of consoles.

I still have my C2D rig @3gig and with the same GPU the I7 @ only 3Ghz playes these co-console developed games a crap load faster with generally higher frame rates and less micro stutters etc. A lot of the tech sites haven't picked up on this recent change yet, so many people in the various game forums are blaming there capable GPU's(where applicable) not realising there dual cores are maxed.

almightynugget
06-03-2010, 01:11 PM
Ok guys cool. i Decided to go for a thermalright 120 fan. and get a core i7 upgrade down the line. But now i have another problem :(

i'm not sure if my motherboard will be able to fit the fan i need to OC my CPU. its got these huge copper heatsink going around the cpu area. Heres a pic:

hueybot3000
06-03-2010, 03:21 PM
Are those heatsinks quite high? Unless someone can shed some light on it id go into a computer store with it and test fit before buying

stormdragon
06-03-2010, 07:06 PM
According to this (http://www.silentpcreview.com/article759-page1.html) the Ultra 120 won't work with your motherboard.

Thebananamonkey
07-03-2010, 07:10 PM
I still have my C2D rig @3gig and with the same GPU the I7 @ only 3Ghz playes these co-console developed games a crap load faster with generally higher frame rates and less micro stutters etc.

You can't treat i7 @3.0 in the same way as C2D @3.0.

If you were to isolate a core from each of them, you'd probably find that the i7 was quite a bit faster at the same clock speed.

As well as typically clocking a bit higher at stock, they fit in more calculations per clock, so it's not a completely even field to test on.

hueybot3000
08-03-2010, 05:14 PM

If you were to isolate a core from each of them, you'd probably find that the i7 was quite a bit faster at the same clock speed.

As well as typically clocking a bit higher at stock, they fit in more calculations per clock, so it's not a completely even field to test on.

Ditto, When I got my i7 rig I did super pi on both on one core at the same frequency (had to oc the e6600 I had for it) and the i7 was well ahead by 2 seconds i think

almightynugget
08-03-2010, 11:09 PM
According to this (http://www.silentpcreview.com/article759-page1.html) the Ultra 120 won't work with your motherboard.

Ok :( i was kinda expecting that. What kind of fan can i get thats good? at the least OC my CPU to 3.2GHz

Sorry about being such a noob with all these questions i know my way around computers, but I've never used an aftermarket fan before.

Battleneter2
09-03-2010, 08:27 AM

Yes I think its pretty well known the I7 performs more operations per clock cycle over C2D.

What your saying is a contributing factor however in many of the latest games the C2Q is out performing C2D, so the extra cores are most definitely now being made use of even at higher resolutions.

Battleneter2
09-03-2010, 08:52 AM
Just to add I did provide a link further back clearly showing a C2D getting Spanked by a Core 2 Quad BOTH at 3.6Ghz and thats at 1600x1080 which is common to 22" LCD's. More cores are becoming necessary esp for these consol co-developed/ported games, as i said prob lazy PC coding but thats outside our control.

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,698761/Dragon-Age-Origins-CPU-benchmarks-75-percent-boost-for-quad-cores/Practice/