PDA

View Full Version : Unable to install printer.

Colpol
02-03-2010, 03:05 PM
Acer Inspire 5920g
Intel Core2 T5750 2.00 GHz
3 GB Ram
Vista Home Premium

Son purchased a new Brother MFC 295CN Printer. Tried to install software without success.
Brought it to me to try.
Removed all previous printer software and remnants with Revo. Used the Brother removal tool to remove everything then ran CC Cleaner to cleanup the registry.
Tried to install the software. The progress bar gets to about 90 % then seems to just stop. Activity light goes out and nothing more happens. Have to use Task Manager to stop proccess.
Thought it might be a bad CD so downloaded software from the brother site. Same problem.
Son said he had the same problem. Just stops at about 90% every time.
Disabled Comodo thinking that may stopping things. Still no go past 90%.
Any help welcome.

Edit. Just noticed he doest have SP2.
Will install it and see what happens then.

Sweep
02-03-2010, 03:22 PM
So USB printer, parallel, networked?

GR8Metal
02-03-2010, 03:32 PM
If you are connecting the Brother via a USB cable, make sure you leave it unplugged while you are installing the software. It will ask you to plug in the USB cable at some stage during the installation.....

Colpol
02-03-2010, 03:36 PM
Only seting it as USB.
Printer not connected.

Speedy Gonzales
02-03-2010, 03:40 PM
Is it 32 or 64 bit? Did you extract then run setup??

Colpol
02-03-2010, 04:29 PM
Both installations (CD and dowload)go through the setup sceens and User agrement screens as you would expect, and seem to stop near the end of the installation.

Colpol
02-03-2010, 05:08 PM
Sorry Speedy 32 bit.

wainuitech
02-03-2010, 05:34 PM
Have you tried turning Off UAC - it can give problems in Vista, even when it doesn't prompt. ?

Colpol
02-03-2010, 07:12 PM
Thnks WT.
Disabled UAC still no joy.
Read the instalation instructions said it must have SP2 installed. Not installed.
Doesnt have SP1 either so found my SP1 file and tried to install. No such luck.
Click on the EXE and nothing happens, wait for ages(10-15 minutes) and still nothing.
Click on the EXE again and a box pops up says already running ????????????

Colpol
02-03-2010, 07:41 PM
Install started after 25 minutes.
Progress bar seems frozen, no movement yet. will leave it and see what happens.

Colpol
04-03-2010, 02:07 PM
Update.
After reading the instructions I installed SP1 and 2. What a mission.
Turned off Commodo, Disabled UAC. left printer unplugged and tried again.
Still stalling at exactly the same point as before.
After the EULA etc etc it starts installing files then stalls at about 90 %. Doesn't even get to the screen to connect the USB cable.
This happens with both the Install CD and the program downloaded from the brother site so think it is probably the OS.

Would using MS config selective startup work if I don't load startup items?

Would an install in safe mode work?

Any ideas welcome

wainuitech
04-03-2010, 02:12 PM
Turned off Commodo, Disabled UAC Assume thats a typo - Uninstall Comodo, Not disable, see if it makes any difference, If Comodo is playing up ( as it does quite a bit these days) simply disabling it doesn't do much, Its till running in the background and can cause problems.

Speedy Gonzales
04-03-2010, 02:13 PM
I had the same prob with Vista x64 but with another brother printer (215-c). It used to work. But the last time I tried to install the drivers, it didnt get as far as 90%. And said something failed. In the end I had to install Win 7 x64 and the x64 drivers. That was the only way the drivers were going to install.

I would send an email to brother. I have a feeling someone has stuffed the drivers up

Colpol
04-03-2010, 02:21 PM
WT. I exited commodo. Will unistall with Commodo revo and try again.

Speedy.
Will try WT's idea and if that fails will email Brother.

Speedy Gonzales
04-03-2010, 02:24 PM
Or ring them (http://www.brother.co.nz/Public/AboutUs/ContactUs.aspx)

Aurealis_
04-03-2010, 02:38 PM
Have you run a drive scan to check that there are no corrupt or damaged sectors? How about trying to install on another computer (if possible)

Colpol
04-03-2010, 02:48 PM
Or ring them (http://www.brother.co.nz/Public/AboutUs/ContactUs.aspx)

will try the number you suggested. Tried the number in the manual 0900. $2.00 per minute. Yeah right.
Will try email if install without comodo doesn't work.

Colpol
04-03-2010, 03:18 PM
DONE.
Comodo was the culprit. Went on a dream after unistalling it.

Thanks guys for everything

sroby
04-03-2010, 03:18 PM
If when you uninstall all Brother software/drivers reboot & plug then plug in printer, it should be detected & ask for driver.
If this doesnt happen look at installed printers(ctrl panel)

Download new driver, driver only NOT full software & try that - it will require manual install ie plug in USB printer, when it asks for driver point to the driver you downloaded (& unzipped)

May be the printer is faulty, issue with USB ports even a faulty ink cart can stop
printer from working-occasionly
If you have other printer software installed that may cause issues
What AV are you running. 'Internet security' suites can also cause these issues

edit: oops, too late then

wainuitech
04-03-2010, 03:21 PM
DONE.
Comodo was the culprit. Went on a dream after unistalling it.

Thanks guys for everything:thumbs: Comodo lately, like all good software seems to have gone from Good >Bad>worse.

Speedy Gonzales
04-03-2010, 03:22 PM
And just to make your day, I think it was updated yesterday / today :lol: