PDA

View Full Version : Problems starting a pc

nedkelly
02-03-2010, 03:04 PM
Hey any one ever heard of a pc not turning on with a hard drive attached on IDE? I have been trying to get one of my P4 motherboards to run a pc with a capture card in it. So I had everything hooked up pushed power button and for a split second everything fires up then it stops. So I disconnected everything and started adding them one by one to see what might be causing the problem. Everything was going perfect until I tried to attach a hard drive (Seagate 20gb) then nothing. So tried another one same thing, so tried another one. So after much scratching of my head and many expletives I grabbed one of my 160gb Maxtor hard drives from my server and to my surprise it went. Any ideas what has been happening?

Speedy Gonzales
02-03-2010, 03:08 PM
Sounds like the one here, that didnt want to go, when I turned it on this morning. It kept stopping on the post after being detected. I had to chuck it in this and format it. Now I have to reinstall windows on it (if it works). I still dont know why it wouldnt boot.

nedkelly
02-03-2010, 03:15 PM
this did not post at all. Just push the power button and a small flicker of life then nothing.

Speedy Gonzales
02-03-2010, 03:17 PM
Short the 2 pins on the mobo header. Could be a dead switch

nedkelly
02-03-2010, 03:26 PM
nope did that stuck a keyboard lock from a 95 pc on it, did same thing. It only worked when I stuck this 160GB Maxtor into it. Only other drive it would start with was a 4gb seagate thing.

Sweep
02-03-2010, 03:57 PM
So have you set the jumpers as master, slave or cable select and where is the IDE drive on the cable?

Is another drive on the same cable?

nedkelly
02-03-2010, 04:07 PM
Yes jumpers set on every drive I tried to master. Yes only one drive on this IDE cable. And also did swap IDE cable.

nedkelly
08-03-2010, 10:10 AM
Hi everyone just an update on this problem. I swapped out the PSU for a generic on that I had lying around and what do you know it goes perfect. Oh well means that the PSU I was using is bad, which is a shame because it has been running good for a few years now.

Agent_24
08-03-2010, 12:43 PM
PSU capacitors have probably failed

nedkelly
17-03-2010, 05:11 PM
ok this is strange stuck the PSU into the pc that I have running as a server and it is going perfect now with 2 hard drives.

linw
18-03-2010, 07:50 AM
ok this is strange stuck the PSU into the pc that I have running as a server and it is going perfect now with 2 hard drives.

Don'tcha just love troubleshooting computers?