PDA

View Full Version : IE8 unstable / problem on Win7 64bit

PeteS
02-03-2010, 12:45 PM
Just setup a new win 7 64 all with mainstream software running perfectly.
Everythings sweet ...except
IE 8 I use to open my Yahoo xtra promail. Used for years ...and yes I do like promail (before the raspberries are blown please)
Checking emails, click on any attachment and for the first 2-3 times IE8 behaves as normal.
Anytime thereafter the same attachment click then faults with the small 'download attachment' window flashing for a millisecond on top of the larger active window then dissappears and I find the small window on the desktop hiding behind everything else. Plain annoying. No other software is used during this time.
Firefox does not suffer the same problem.
Closing and restarting IE8 temporarily puts the behaviour of the download attachment window back to normal only for it to screw up a few attachment clicks later.
Googled this for a few weeks and found nothing.
Tried compatability mode, disabling mcafee, disabled all addons...the systems so new nothing else of consequence I can think of.
The only clue is I wonder if the fault has to do with the new fancy hover over feature basically screwing up or confusing the always on top that the mini window should have. Havn't really started disabling core Win7 functions yet...bit grumpy if thats the workaround from all its much heralded features.
The clue is that something goes on when the mini download attachment window as it always first appears correctly on top as usual...then I see it 'reset' or flash and its gone...maybe some reset / refresh causes that window to immediately flash and disappear away to desktop.
Not a huge drama but just annoying, any opinions appreciated.

wainuitech
02-03-2010, 12:54 PM
Is IE8 only giving problems on Yahoo / Xtra mail, or other sites as well with similar content.

PeteS
02-03-2010, 01:02 PM
Only yahoo xtramail - IE8 working great on everything else including multiple windows and only one obscure site that I recall was a bit strange that a click on compatibility button made the website text appear. The only problem is this darned download attachment window being fickle. Thanks for such a prompt reply!

PeteS
02-03-2010, 01:03 PM
Whoops sorry - havn't tested my gmail for similar fault in IE8 ...will report

Sweep
02-03-2010, 01:51 PM
I use Win7 Pro with Xtra mail and Yahoo Mail 64 bit and no probs here. I have Gmail forwarded to my Xtra.

Speedy Gonzales
02-03-2010, 02:06 PM
Wouldnt be surprised if Mcafee is the prob. It causes lots of probs and can block things as well

PeteS
02-03-2010, 02:23 PM
Just tested - sent a few emails with various attachments to my gmail.
Opened G mail in IE8 and it behaved perfectly with all attachments downloaded opened etc.....Now the penny has dropped.
Yahoo Xtra when you click an attachment the first window to pop up (the problem one) says as its header 'Download attachment' but the text contained is "No viruses detected" and contains a download button that when clicked opens a 2nd window that is a file open/save/cancel choice.
Gmail just goes straight to the (2nd)file/save/ cancel choice window immediately.
I then went back to IE8 and Yayoo xtra, 1st attachment the no virus window opens correctly on top, press download 2nd window opens all sweet.
Go to next email click attachment and the antivirus window appears ontop momentarily and dissapears behind all windows to the desktop...and so on until I restart IE8 and it behave a few times then goes back to playing hide & seek.
So its yahoos 1st no virus window is the troublemaker.
As always...grin...nice to know I'm the only one on the planet having issues with a brand new mainstream win7 setup...darn.
Hi Speedy - Thanks for the hint I'll mess with Mcafee (its the free version ex Xtra) some more...wouldn't that be a turn up 2x Xtra supplied progs dont like each <g>

PENTIUM
02-03-2010, 03:06 PM
It is not called Yahoo for nothing.

Sweep
02-03-2010, 03:48 PM
Ummmm. The McAffee free effort did not work for me on WinXP 64 bit and it said so with Xtra.