PDA

View Full Version : Tsunami coming up the Avon Heathcote Estuary Christchurch

Trev
02-03-2010, 06:54 AM
Click Here (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10629356)
:)

Sweep
02-03-2010, 06:59 AM
Interesting. You could see how a small child may have been sucked under.

Trev
02-03-2010, 07:08 AM
Yes. See how the person taking the movie sort of lost there balance when the wave hit them.
:)

R2x1
02-03-2010, 07:20 AM
Today is a slow news day apparently.
They mentioned a small boat being "swamped". That didn't mean "floated" when I was learning to speak. Why didn't they mention the thousands who avoided drowning by not being asleep on the mudflat when the little wave splashed in?
Given a teacup, it might have rated a storm warning but the NZ tsunami warnings sound like "wolf".

prefect
02-03-2010, 07:23 AM
It is Christchurch any news is good news.

Sweep
02-03-2010, 07:29 AM
I'd like to see Auckland break off from the rest of New Zealand and become another sovereign country.

Oh wait. They do that already as anything south of the Bombay Hills are unworthy of mention.

Battleneter2
02-03-2010, 07:34 AM
Interesting,

Its a shame the Tsunami didn't wipe that embarrassment of a city Auckland of our map. Just had a Canadian friend staying in CHCH for a month. He went to Auckland to see some distant relatives, he stayed 3 days and hated it, I warned him the place sucked lol

prefect
02-03-2010, 07:49 AM
Auckers is made up with several cities. West Auckland is fine we just drink mega piss and own multiple cars. The comments above probably refer to North Shore (traffic a killer), CBD (I despise the place), South Auckland (Too scared to go there) and East Auckland (Rich immigrant ghetto )

Gobe1
02-03-2010, 07:51 AM
Today is a slow news day apparently.
They mentioned a small boat being "swamped". That didn't mean "floated" when I was learning to speak. Why didn't they mention the thousands who avoided drowning by not being asleep on the mudflat when the little wave splashed in?
Given a teacup, it might have rated a storm warning but the NZ tsunami warnings sound like "wolf".

Agreed, but those people are gonna look kinda stupid if there is a decent 20 foot wave come through, actually kinda dead
Your damned if you do and your damned if you dont (To the tsunami warnings)

R2x1
02-03-2010, 08:03 AM
We seem to have a surplus of warnings coupled with a shortage of moving water. People will tend to treat any real warning with the scorn due to the missed estimates they are accustomed to. Net result : - we could achieve the same result (but save a whole bunch of money) by forgetting the whole warning scheme.
The current scheme may be well intentioned, but it is pretty inept.

Zippity
02-03-2010, 08:13 AM
The people who treat any warning with skepticism are nothing short of f***wits (and that is praising them) :( :(

Imagine if CD sits on their hands and 20,000 are swept away to their deaths from New Zealand's coastline.

Who will the naysayers blame then??

Sweep
02-03-2010, 08:24 AM
The people who treat any warning with skepticism are nothing short of f***wits (and that is praising them) :( :(

Imagine if CD sits on their hands and 20,000 are swept away to their deaths from New Zealand's coastline.

Who will the naysayers blame then??

It is a fact that Tidal waves ( Tsunamis ) do happen from time to time.

It is also a fact that people actually go to the beach to see for themselves for some strange reason that currently escapes me.

Perhaps it means that some people have the intelligence of the average Lemming.

R2x1
02-03-2010, 08:25 AM
Zippity - take precautions against meteor strike NOW! If you fail to get yourself out of harm's way and stay there for 24 hours you "are nothing short of f***wit" :lol:

False warnings are arguably worse than no warning.

prefect
02-03-2010, 08:25 AM
The intelligence of a lemming tard more likely. Average lemming quite clever.

Arnie
02-03-2010, 08:33 AM
R2x1 the "small" surge in Ch Ch was actually 2.2m movement. Ch Ch was very lucky this surge came thru at dead LOW tide given the that Cathedral Square is around 1m above mean sea level. If it was high tide most of Brighton and those living close to the the 2 rivers would have been in serious danger.

Sweep
02-03-2010, 08:33 AM
Zippity - take precautions against meteor strike NOW! If you fail to get yourself out of harm's way and stay there for 24 hours you "are nothing short of f***wit" :lol:

False warnings are arguably worse than no warning.

Just when have we ever been warned that a lump of rock is going to arrive anywhere on this planet? There have been warnings about space junk re entering.

Nowhere are you totally safe anyway.

R2x1
02-03-2010, 08:35 AM
Any who had been swept off the beach would have done well.
They would have added fish food to the wet side of the tide line and raised the average IQ on the dry side.
I would say well done. ;)

Gobe1
02-03-2010, 08:37 AM
So Zipperty and R2 are right

prefect
02-03-2010, 08:43 AM
Christchurch needs a good flush out.

bob_doe_nz
02-03-2010, 10:04 AM
South Auckland (Too scared to go there)

Chicken

Sweep