PDA

View Full Version : Parcel forwarding.

pine-o-cleen
01-03-2010, 11:04 PM
Anyone had any experience with services such as shipito.com? I'm thinking of importing an Olympus camera, valued at around $600 USD (it's priced at $1338 here) . I've been reading u on the customs website and it seems I would have to pay GST on it, when it arrives in NZ.

Comments / suggestions?

kahawai chaser
01-03-2010, 11:58 PM
I remember researching for a friend importing a camera for a friend a while back, and after calculations (insurance, shipping, GST, currency conversion and their fees), it only worked out only slightly lower than in NZ. I think popular brands of camera's and mobile phones are sort of price fixed worldwide. We were going to use shipbuktu com. (http://www.shipbuktu.com/)

Sweep
02-03-2010, 12:23 AM
And the other thing to consider is warranties just in case.

gary67
02-03-2010, 06:52 AM
Yes from memory if over $500 then you have to pay GST, we were looking at importing some caving lights from the States and after GST it wasn't going to be cost effective even though there not available here. In the end we contacted a caving club in England that my friend used to be a member of and paid them to buy them, then ship to us as gifts one at a time

somebody
02-03-2010, 07:32 AM
Yes from memory if over $500 then you have to pay GST, we were looking at importing some caving lights from the States and after GST it wasn't going to be cost effective even though there not available here. In the end we contacted a caving club in England that my friend used to be a member of and paid them to buy them, then ship to us as gifts one at a time

The limit is $400 (http://www.customs.govt.nz/importers/Private+importers/Customs+Charges.htm) after which you will need to pay GST. The process is fairly painless - when the package arrives in the country, Customs checks it and sends you an invoice for the GST owing. When I received one such invoice, I simply paid it via credit card, and they released the parcel.

Erayd
02-03-2010, 07:53 AM
Anyone had any experience with services such as shipito.com? I'm thinking of importing an Olympus camera, valued at around $600 USD (it's priced at $1338 here) . I've been reading u on the customs website and it seems I would have to pay GST on it, when it arrives in NZ.

Comments / suggestions?Shipito are great - I ordered a Nexus One shipped via them last week. The package arrived at their warehouse around 2pm PST, and was out the door and on its way here (via Fedex) by 6pm PST the same day. I've also heard good things about them from others who have used their service. Just make sure you remember to put c/o them in the address, otherwise there are a lot of ID hoops to jump through to comply with US law for freight-forwarding.

Re paying NZ GST etc - Fedex seem to have taken care of all that for me. They gave me a call to check what the package was, and then said I can simply pay their courier when the package is delivered, and they'll sort out the customs stuff - it's due to arrive at my place in Wellington sometime today.

Package value is $574 USD, plus California GST - so it's a similar value to yours. Note that as shipito are based in CA, you'll most likely get hit with CA GST of (I think) 9.5% in addition to NZ GST.

Trev
02-03-2010, 08:02 AM
Click Here (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=107743)
Olympus have a international warranty.

:)

PaulD
02-03-2010, 08:04 AM
I'm thinking of importing an Olympus camera, valued at around $600 USD (it's priced at $1338 here) .

The price has dropped in the US because the P2 is on sale. The P1 price in some Aus shops has dropped, depending on quantities on hand the price may drop here.

pine-o-cleen
02-03-2010, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the responses.

The price difference (with customs tax, freight forwarding and USD conversions) seems to be around $400, so well worth it in my opinion.

pine-o-cleen
02-03-2010, 04:36 PM
The price has dropped in the US because the P2 is on sale. The P1 price in some Aus shops has dropped, depending on quantities on hand the price may drop here.

Thanks for the info, the price here seems rather ridiculous at the moment. How can they justify $1400 NZD, when the US price is $599 USD! Crazy.

I'll have a look at some aussie retailers.

I was hoping to get a new camera before the easter break. The family are all heading in different directions, 2 to Melbourne, 1 to Wanaka and the Mrs and I are heading to Wellington and it seems we won't have enough cameras. We have been thinking of upgrading for a long while now anyway, so now is probably a pretty good time.

Trev
02-03-2010, 05:21 PM
Why not buy a Canon Powershot EX20 IS. It has through the lens viewing like a SLR camera. Got mine for $750. I know Olympus cameras are good. Have a OM10 film camera sitting in the cupboard.
:)

trinsic
02-03-2010, 05:57 PM
Have used Shipito a few times myself and never had any problems. Even had items over the $400NZD limit (remember this includes shipping to your door) without incurring GST.