PDA

View Full Version : Minimum download speed for TVNZ on demand?

NZMacka
01-03-2010, 10:00 PM
Hi again guys....

Another thing thats been bugging us of late is streaming TVNZ on demand.

Here in Masterton, with my Telecom Broadband Xtra account, we get the following speeds (courtesy NZDSL/Speedtest):

Download: 2834Kbps
Upload: 638Kbps

We are in a rural location. My question is, should this speed be good enough to stream TVNZ on demand acceptably? Currently it lags badly and is virtually unwatchable.

Cheers
Macca

Nomad
01-03-2010, 10:22 PM
I guess it should be we had just 2 or 2Mbit speed and I could get youtube.

Chilling_Silence
02-03-2010, 07:46 AM
The website says a minimum of 300kb, when you play the videos there's a slider which lets you choose between 300kb -> 700kb. I had 4 playing concurrently just then and my downstream is 4200kbps on Telecom Big Time.

I'd suggest put your address into here:
telecomwholesale.co.nz/maps

See if there's ADSL2+ on your exchange yet. Your connection ought to be fast enough so I'd suggest you're either not using Telecom's DNS and missing the caching, or there's exchange congestion.

Which plan are you on?

Chilling_Silence
02-03-2010, 07:46 AM
The website says a minimum of 300kb, when you play the videos there's a slider which lets you choose between 300kb -> 700kb. I had 4 playing concurrently just then and my downstream is 4200kbps on Telecom Big Time.

I'd suggest put your address into here:
telecomwholesale.co.nz/maps

See if there's ADSL2+ on your exchange yet. Your connection ought to be fast enough so I'd suggest you're either not using Telecom's DNS and missing the caching, or there's exchange congestion.

Which plan are you on?

pctek
02-03-2010, 08:11 AM
Download: 2834Kbps
Upload: 638Kbps

We are in a rural location. Currently it lags badly and is virtually unwatchable.

That should be more than enough.
Whats your ping results?

And how rural are you?

Chilling_Silence
02-03-2010, 10:48 AM
That's a good point pctek!

NZMacka, go to pingtest.net and post your results :)

robbyp
02-03-2010, 03:26 PM
That should be more than enough.
Whats your ping results?

And how rural are you?

I suspect the ping will be quite high. I know someone who has broadband in rural wairarapa, and there ping is high, so haveproblems viewing youtube, even though their download speed is quite good.

NZMacka
02-03-2010, 06:36 PM
Hi guys,

Thanks for the thoughts so far... here are some anwsers:

Pingtest.net results:

Server: Tauranga
Line Quality: B
MOS: 4.36
Ping: 83ms
Jitter: 3ms
Packet Loss: 0%
Rating: Telecom Xtra 2.1/5

How rural are we?

We are on Norfolk Rd, about 4-5 kms from Masterton township. The Telecom tech who installed the DSL circuit said we were around 1.5kms from the roadside cabinet and that speeds should be good.

Cheers
Macca

NZMacka
02-03-2010, 07:15 PM
Also - have updated IE 8 and FF to latest versions running Flash 10.

Other observations:

Youtube streams perfectly at max resolution and full screen.

Chill - I don't get that "Download Speed bar" that let you selct the download speed - although I get it at work....

if I right click on the TVNZ video, it pops up the Flash Settings, in here I have the local storage slider set to "Unlimited", but it only shows 1KB as being used?

I have set the IE8 cache to 1024MB....

It seems as if something is blocking the TVNZ download.....

Ummmm, any other ideas?

decibel
02-03-2010, 07:51 PM
should this speed be good enough to stream TVNZ on demand acceptably? Currently it lags badly and is virtually unwatchable.

My viewing "experience" with TVNZ is abysmal - but TV3 is perfect !

How does anyone explain that other than saying that TVNZ are technologically useless?

NZMacka
02-03-2010, 08:42 PM
Hey Decibel - thanks for the idea...just tested TV3, it streams perfectly....

Is it possible that this is a TVNZ on Demand issue rather than my PC/DSL connection?

Chilling_Silence
02-03-2010, 08:59 PM
Nup, coz it works for others, like me on Telecom :D

I'd ring Telecom directly and lodge a helpdesk ticket. Point them to this thread :)

NZMacka
02-03-2010, 09:09 PM
Will do so tommorow CS....

Do you think there is anything else on my PC that I can try, or have I covered most bases with the ping/speedtest and also the fact I can stream almost all other video?

Cheers mate
Macca

Chilling_Silence
02-03-2010, 11:01 PM
Because it's site-specific, just to tvnzondemand, I'd suggest not, though you could try an alternative browser? What're your PC Specs?