PDA

View Full Version : Computer high pitched squealing noise?

Funtastic
01-03-2010, 07:39 PM
Hi

I recently built a computer for a mate and he's told me that every so often it would make this high pitched squealing noise for a few minutes then stop. Just needing to know what this noise could be?

Any Ideas???

Thanks

feersumendjinn
01-03-2010, 08:08 PM
Video card?
http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=video+card+squealing&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Jen
01-03-2010, 08:14 PM
Take the side off the case when it is making the noise and see if you can narrow the location down. As mentioned, video card fan is a popular culprit. You can (carefully) try to stop the fan spinning with the use of a pencil and see if the noise immediately stops.

hueybot3000
01-03-2010, 08:16 PM
Usually power to video card, if it uses 6pin power then check that cable

Funtastic
01-03-2010, 08:40 PM
It's not the video card fan as this stopped working and replaced it.

Video card has no extra PCI-E power connector.

I just googled it and found this :

if its not mechanical, it could be a capacitor or inductor squealing, this can happen as they overload or heat. and could be anything from psu, mb or vga.

I'm so hoping it's not the Mobo.

Poppa John
01-03-2010, 08:43 PM
Are you sure you are not picking up the sound of a losing Australian cricketer? PJ:)

hueybot3000
01-03-2010, 08:44 PM
Is it under any particular conditions that it does it? I know when i stress test my graphics it sorta whistles, could be under load when it does it?

tweak'e
01-03-2010, 10:03 PM
most likly power supply. they typically squeal a high pitch when going out of spec (ie starting to go faulty).

Rod J
01-03-2010, 10:08 PM
Is the sound coming from the monitor or the system case? I've had old CRT monitors make a very high pitched squealing sound at times. Most annoying too! :)

Billy T
01-03-2010, 10:15 PM
if its not mechanical, it could be a capacitor [or inductor] squealing, this can happen as they overload or heat.

Don't know where they got that from.:confused:

Inductors/transformers are a common noise source through magneto-restrictive effect, which makes them whistle, squeal or sing. They often do this even in the absence of any fault, especially if the winding is not secure or the core is cracked. However, capacitors do not squeal. In well over 40 years in electronics I've heard capacitors sizzle, and I've heard them hiss, and those sound effects are usually followed by a loud pop or bang, but I've never heard one squeal. Once a cap starts making noises it usually dies within a few minutes.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Netsukeninja
01-03-2010, 11:35 PM
Is the PSU a Corsair brand?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4d23F2jehQ

Sweep
01-03-2010, 11:57 PM
Could also be a temp alarm like thermal paste not applied correctly.

pctek
02-03-2010, 08:12 AM
Or a case fan, or CPU fan

Sweep
02-03-2010, 08:15 AM
True pctek. Could even be feedback from mic and speakers.

linw
02-03-2010, 12:38 PM
Or, possibly, a mouse getting his tail caught in a fan?

Sweep
02-03-2010, 01:55 PM
Or, possibly, a mouse getting his tail caught in a fan?

Never thought of that but I guess it's possible. :-)

Funtastic
02-03-2010, 08:19 PM
Thanks for all that.

I went in and got the computer off my mate and i've been running stress tests on components and it hasn't so far been making the noise which is annoying cause needing to know what the problem is. He has been using a CRT monitor which I'll get him to use on a different system to test.

I might just replace the PSU and give it back to him and see if that fixes the problem.

I applied the thermal grease correctly done it many times and i've checked the temps and they're all fine.

He didn't have any speakers plugged in.

The PSU is Thermaltake Brand.

Pancake
03-03-2010, 05:55 PM
every so often it would make this high pitched squealing noise

These computers can be real pigs when they want to. :clap