PDA

View Full Version : Problem with expired website security certificate

Tbird650
01-03-2010, 04:44 PM
I'm trying to solve a problem of expired security certificate on a friends' PC.
The problem appeared once I cleared away a particularly nasty PC defender type virus. I used Malwarebytes in safe mode to eliminate the infection.
Then I noticed that the Google search bar in IE8 was being redirected, so I was able to rectify by deleteing Google as a search option and reinstalling it.
A day or so later my friend phoned to say he was unable to sign in to Youtube which uses Google as a sign in account. Security certificate error is displayed once the sign-in link is clicked. If i continue to the sign in page and view the cert, it is indeed expired in January 2010.
A couple of hours later... using google to search for solutions, I'm no closer to solving it. Most solutions are to correct the date&time. This was correct all along and I even changed it and reset it correct again, rebooting in between.
Two other PC's verify that they can get to the sign in page without the above error. Two more virus scans were done with different antivirus tools. Ccleaner was also employed to clear away temp files ETC.
XP pro SP3 updated, IE8, AMD quadcore, 2g ram, asrock n68-s mobo. About 2 weeks old.
Can anyone throw some light onto this issue, please?
Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
01-03-2010, 04:51 PM
Get trojan remover update it then scan. Then select all options under utilities

Also try resetting IE's settings

Tbird650
01-03-2010, 05:49 PM
Speedy
I ran that program and those options.
"Reset windows host file" only generated this error:
"I/O error when trying to rewrite the windows host file".
Could the file permissions be locked?

I'd already tried a reset of IE to defaults earlier.

Speedy Gonzales
01-03-2010, 05:53 PM
Hmm could be locked. Search for it see whats in it

Tbird650
01-03-2010, 06:00 PM
Sorted it!
I run this tool from Microsoft: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972034
Page titled: How do I reset the hosts file back to the default?
Thanks for the help.

Speedy Gonzales
01-03-2010, 06:02 PM
Sweet is youtube working now then? Something must have put something into it then locked it. So you couldnt change it

pctek
01-03-2010, 07:48 PM
I used Malwarebytes in safe mode to eliminate the infection.

Two more virus scans were done with different antivirus tools. Ccleaner was also employed to clear away temp files ETC.

Procedure should be:
NOD32
Hijackthis
Spybot
Malware Bytes
WinsockXFix

HJT first, NOD 2nd.