PDA

View Full Version : Tsunami warning/alert.

martynz
28-02-2010, 09:07 PM
Curious to know how others heard about it.
A neighbour phoned me at 8.30am having just switched on the radio.
Another neighbour had a phonecall from someone up the coast from Wgtn.
But it would have been possible to spend the whole day not knowing, like my daughter in Auckland who hadn't switched on the radio or TV.
Shouldn't there be a siren alert that signals "Switch on your radio"?

Martynz

pcuser42
28-02-2010, 09:14 PM
I heard about it when a railfan group mentioned the TranzCoastal had been delayed.

Funny how we hear about these things from places other than Civil Defence :rolleyes:

xyz823
28-02-2010, 09:22 PM
I heard about it on here/facebook. I turned on my laptop, loaded up PF1 and facebook. First thing I saw was a thread about the earthquake lol.

prefect
28-02-2010, 09:36 PM
I was going to go to Bethells beach today for a swim and sink some woodies but canned it. So went to the boozer instead.
First heard of it with convair 580s panicked posts and threads around midnight.

nedkelly
28-02-2010, 10:12 PM
do the usual thing I do every morning. Turn tv on and then check the NZ Herald news site.

Zippity
28-02-2010, 10:15 PM
Shouldn't there be a siren alert that signals "Switch on your radio"?Martynz

What use would a siren alert be to someone living in Taihape?

R2x1
28-02-2010, 10:36 PM
It appears that Taihape residents have a perfect safety record in tsunamis, and also they have avoided waterfront strikes and party central problems.
OSH will tell you amongst a lot of platitudes that safety depends on constant vigilance, it therefore behoves Taihape to install sirens on every street light. Both these sirens should be tested weekly to ensure their proud record is maintained.
Remember, safety is no accident.

CYaBro
28-02-2010, 11:07 PM
I picked up my iPhone and checked TVNZ news this morning, like I do every morning.

Orca
28-02-2010, 11:21 PM
I think if there had been a real Tsunami then we would've been wiped out. I didn't even know about it till mid-day in Auckland till I fired up a news website. Pretty pathetic really on Civil Defenses part. You think they'd have one of those loud siren things going on over the city which would make you wonder what was going on and then investigate. Pretty soon you'd find out to stay away from the beaches etc. As it turned out I went to the beach in the afternoon anyway. Not as many people there as usual.

I believe Japan etc have sirens along the coast, so where's NZs? You can't rely on TV or radio to get the word out. Not everyone watches these things 24/7 and radios are out-of date anyway.

Sweep
28-02-2010, 11:28 PM
Radios are out of date?

Should I expect then when I turn mine on to get news broadcasts from 1942?

:-)

Zippity
01-03-2010, 01:28 AM
Of course, you could try phoning Civil Defence yourself each morning to get the daily updates.

Maybe you could start a petition to Parliament to express your concern.

jonathan
01-03-2010, 06:58 AM
I found out when I was poking around on a news site, when I saw an article about it. no warnings otherwise.

WalOne
01-03-2010, 09:44 AM
do the usual thing I do every morning. Turn tv on and then check the NZ Herald news site.

I don't think that'd be all that much help, especially on the weekend when the quality of news "reporting" suffers further from weekdays, because of reduced staffing levels. In the event, TV News seems to plagiarise the print media, the print media is anything up to a week old dependant on whether the editor deems there is enough room to print the item or not, and the on-line version of the Royal NZ Herald has appalling standards.

Yesterday, the RNZ Herald reported something about the preceding wave heights could be greater. They meant, succeeding. Gross inaccuracy, and careless reporting. (Credit where it's due, the RNZ Herald did correct that later in the morning)

So what does turning the TV on and checking the on-line RNZ Herald really achieve?

:2cents:

WalOne
01-03-2010, 09:54 AM
What use would a siren alert be to someone living in Taihape?

Very little. If a tsunami ever threatened Taihape, it would probably mean the fish was about to dive and return to the waters again. :waughh:

But then, we wouldn't have to worry about sirens, the Royal NZ Herald, TV anything, GST, the Gumboot Throwing day, the Super City, or Banksie. Come to think of it, not totally a bad scenario. :rolleyes:

prefect
01-03-2010, 10:22 AM
Many members of the public as shown on Sunday that they are a bunch of numbnuts going down to the beach to watch a tidal wave.
I presume if they were to place sirens they would be at popular beaches or low lying populous areas. Not sure they would be of much use mistaken for emergency vehicles or fire alarm. All they can do is make announcements on radio and tv and send out texts, the word gets around pretty fast
What annoyed the **** out of me was they didnt come straight out and say the West coast beaches would be unaffected by the wave.
In the last 180 years no one has been killed here by a tidal wave but lots of people have been killed by death in that period.

Zippity
01-03-2010, 10:42 AM
What annoyed the **** out of me was they didnt come straight out and say the West coast beaches would be unaffected by the wave.
In the last 180 years no one has been killed here by a tidal wave but lots of people have been killed by death in that period.

After the last Tsunami, the west coast (or the "off" side) of one of the islands (can't remeber which) was the area hit worst. :(

Go figure.

The point is, some of you will b1tch no matter what happens/ed :( :(

prefect
01-03-2010, 10:47 AM
I struggle to see how a wave can go turn 90 degrees around the capes then another 90 degree turn to hoon into the off side coast.
Then again as people have pointed out to me I am just a dumb bus driver

R2x1
01-03-2010, 10:52 AM
Parts of the sea are made of flexible water. ;)

johcar
01-03-2010, 10:53 AM
Perhaps if CD had a better record at predictions, people would take more notice of them (and people would take them seriously enough NOT to go racing down to the beach to watch the tsunami racing toward them). At the moment they have a worse success rate at predicting disaster than the MetService at predicting tomorrow's weather!

At least they are consistent though: 100% failure rate - at least the MetService gets a few guesses correct...

Zippity
01-03-2010, 10:57 AM
I struggle to see how a wave can go turn 90 degrees around the capes then another 90 degree turn to hoon into the off side coast.
Then again as people have pointed out to me I am just a dumb bus driver

The explanation given was that two waves (or swells) meeting from different directions produced a larger wave (swell).

Hell. I wasn't there so I can't confirm/deny :)

WalOne
01-03-2010, 10:57 AM

Killed dead? :groan:

R2x1
01-03-2010, 11:00 AM
What; fatally?

prefect
01-03-2010, 11:00 AM
You know what I mean lol, you are going to die anyway even if you escape a killer wave.

R2x1
01-03-2010, 11:01 AM
Not so far ;)

prefect
01-03-2010, 11:04 AM
God cruel world as well as being dumb I cant explain myself

R2x1
01-03-2010, 11:07 AM
:lol: - :lol: - :clap - :lol: - :lol:

WalOne
01-03-2010, 11:14 AM
God cruel world as well as being dumb I cant explain myself

What a cross you have to bear. I suggested elsewhere we take up a collection for the airfare so Cicero could join the Foreign Legion, or perhaps charter a Convair 580.

Should we offer you a seat on the charter?

:lol:

prefect
01-03-2010, 11:16 AM
Nope wont fly on anything with Alison engines.

WalOne
01-03-2010, 11:24 AM
Nope wont fly on anything with Alison engines.

All the Alisons I know are sort of like Dorothys, Daisys, or even a Madge - if you get my drift. If any of those were to build an engine, I'd be the first to choose an alternative way to fly. Like Sleazy Jet, for example.

However, I think Allisons have the Good Housekeeping Aviation Seal of Approval since they were taken over by Rolls Royce in the 90's. :2cents:

R2x1
01-03-2010, 12:12 PM
That explains why the C130 and the Orions were such a failure, Those Allisons were always exploding.
Should have switched to good Rotating Rubbish Darts ;)

WalOne
01-03-2010, 12:22 PM
That explains why the C130 and the Orions were such a failure, Those Allisons were always exploding.

But when they weren't (exploding), the sound of an Allison engine was pure testosterone.

Which would not have been a good sound for an Alison, or a Madge engine :)

Orca
01-03-2010, 06:48 PM
So anyway yeah, we need sirens. Lots of sirens. Like the Japan warning system.

R2x1
01-03-2010, 06:57 PM
Could we get the Japanese to turn the wick up a bit? We would be as likely to hear them as get zapped by a tsunami here. Especially Taihape.

Why not sacrifice a politician every Monday morning to appease the Taniwhas? It is worth trying.

prefect
01-03-2010, 07:00 PM
So anyway yeah, we need sirens. Lots of sirens. Like the Japan warning system.
Why would you need lots of Greek bird women?
Comparing a RR Dart to a T56 a bit of a stretch bit like comparing a Reliant Robin with a Freightliner truck.

R2x1
01-03-2010, 07:34 PM
One Greek bird woman is not quite enough, and once you get a taste for them ~

Well, vaguely similar weight, but the Alisons still work . . . Either would put new life in a bus, plus you could get those sneaky tailgating cyclists in spectacular style.