PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Windows 7 laptop

R.M.
28-02-2010, 06:53 PM
Last year I bought a Toshiba Satellite M300-900 laptop, which came with Vista Home Premium OS. In due course, I received an upgrade disk from Toshiba which allowed me to upgrade the OS to Windows 7 Home Premium. The time to upgrade took about 6-7 hours - I have moaned about this previously!

My current problem is hassles when booting up (it takes a while), and at the moment particularly, when turning the machine off. The screen tells me that:

'Preparing to configure Windows
Do not turn off your computer'

And then sits like this for ages - apparently doing nothing.

I am not the most patient person in the world - but this is driving me batty! :(

What is the problem? What should I do? Advice would truely be appreciated! :)

Speedy Gonzales
28-02-2010, 07:09 PM
Did you install any updates recently?

R.M.
28-02-2010, 07:27 PM
Probably - happens automatically...

CliveM
28-02-2010, 08:11 PM
Have a look at your update history and see if anything there is marked as failed. It looks like automatic updates may be trying to install something.

R.M.
28-02-2010, 08:57 PM
All is now well. :)

Patience is a virtue - and all of that rubbish! I was being too impatient. I will know better in the future - oh darn...:o

R.M.
01-03-2010, 06:25 PM
Grrrrr! It's doing it again... There seems to be no pattern to it - sometimes does, sometimes doesn't. :(

Now what??:thanks

wainuitech
01-03-2010, 06:48 PM
Run the updates manually, click start, type in update - select windows updates, see what happens.

IF they are still playing silly buggers, go into C: \Windows --- Locate the SoftwareDistrubition folder, Delete it, reboot and try the manual update of windows again, Windows will automatically recreate the SoftwareDistrubition folder.

R.M.
01-03-2010, 07:26 PM
I couldn't update manually - basically nothing happened. When I looked at History - the last two updates have failed.

When I tried deleting the SoftwareDistribution folder - it told me:
'The action can't be completed because the folder/file is open in another program - SoftwareDistribution'

So - I'm no further ahead at this stage. :(

wainuitech
01-03-2010, 09:32 PM
Its possible windows update is still running in the background, thats why you cant delete the folder. You may have to disable the auto updates under the Windows Update settings ( Control Panel)

R.M.
02-03-2010, 06:22 AM
Ahh - I'll have another go when I get home tonight! :)

R.M.
02-03-2010, 05:36 PM
I can't do it - note a tone of frustration there!

I can disable Windows Update, but when I try to delete the SoftwareDistribution folder, I get a message telling me firstly that it is recycling 255 items (109MB) and then a while later I get another message telling me 'The action can't be completed because the folder or file is open in another program'.

Now what? :badpc:

:)

wainuitech
02-03-2010, 05:47 PM
You can try This here (http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/System-Tweak/Fix-WU.shtml) - NO IDEA if it works, good bad or other - never tried it.

Cant test it at the moment SWMBO is yelling for the second time to Com'on ( in the crap again) :crying

R.M.
02-03-2010, 06:44 PM
You can try This here (http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/System-Tweak/Fix-WU.shtml) - NO IDEA if it works, good bad or other - never tried it.

I sort of didn't like the look of that - maybe being too cautious. :(

R.M.
02-03-2010, 07:06 PM
And now of course, that I've turned off automatic updates - there is no problem....

I have at the moment, 2 failed updates, and 2 cancelled updates. :(

And a laptop that is booting up and turning off in a more reasonable time with no difficulties. The lack of updates is not what I really want though.

R.M.
02-03-2010, 07:46 PM
Well, no, it's not fixed - even with automatic updates turned off. It is still frittering about. Just the same as before - I don't know!

R.M.
02-03-2010, 08:55 PM
Update - update!!!

I have uninstalled Comodo Firewall - Windows has now updated successfully. Other .exe programs I wanted to use are now working happily, BUT I don't have a firewall.

Should I reinstall Comodo? Or should I look for something else? Does it matter? I look forward to hearing from the good folks of Pressf1! :)

wainuitech
02-03-2010, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the Update :thumbs: - ( just got back home 9.15pm) So another Comodo stuff up - seen lots of them lately - thats one item that hasn't been mentioned in the past threads ( never mind) I wouldn't reinstall it :groan:

As for a fire wall -- The Windows 7 one is okish, but If I install firewalls these days I use the one in Eset SS or a free one -Sunbelt (http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com/home-home-office/sunbelt-personal-firewall/) - Previously Kerio Personal Firewall - works similar to Comdo in its operation ( settings), but is easier to get around - no "hidden settings 3-4 layers deep.

The so called "trial" is the full version, after the trial expires, it reverts back to the free version, but without the "full version features (bottom of that page shows whats different in the versions. It DOESN'T have its own AV like Comodo and so many others, its only a firewall.

wainuitech
02-03-2010, 09:51 PM
Add to above - I just read its being modified for Windows 7 -- But I have used it in Vista and XP and it works fine.

In the mean time - I'd suggest staying with the Inbuilt W7 firewall. Unless you want a paid one thats ESS (eset/Nod32/Firewall)

Another free one thats meant to be good is Online Armor (http://www.tallemu.com/products-online-armor-free-requirements.php) - Never used it, but I think Pctek does - maybe she can advise better towards it.

R.M.
03-03-2010, 06:45 PM
In the mean time - I'd suggest staying with the Inbuilt W7 firewall.

Sounds good to me! :)
Thanks.