PDA

View Full Version : Homegroup - a no go

andy
28-02-2010, 06:24 PM
Everything I've read to date says Win 7 is great for home networking - easy peasy. Sounds like a Tui Ad!!
I don't have enough hair left to pull any out. I've been able to get a network running, although getting the W7 machine to talk to the XP machine was easier than getting an interaction with the other W7 pcs!!
Homegroup doesn't! I have tried to set it up, I've checked all the obvious options to no avail. Clicking on Homegroup on any W7 PC just gives me the message that there are no other computers on the Homegroup. Yes they are all turned on, yes they all have had the password injected, the problem-solving wizard gives up, and I'm close to smashing something. What's the secret? Am I suffering a Grey moment?
Please help.
Cheers
Andy

Speedy Gonzales
28-02-2010, 06:27 PM
How many PC's have Windows 7 on them??

gary67
28-02-2010, 06:43 PM
I don't think you can have both a homegroup and a workgroup which is what's needed for the XP computer. The best scenario and which is what I have is to disable the homegroup and just work with the workgroup just making sure that all the computers are on the same workgroup name

Speedy Gonzales
28-02-2010, 06:47 PM
According to this (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-is-the-difference-between-a-domain-a-workgroup-and-a-homegroup)

In a homegroup:

Computers on a home network must belong to a workgroup, but they can also belong to a homegroup. A homegroup makes it easy to share pictures, music, videos, documents, and printers with other people on a home network.

A homegroup is protected with a password, but you only need to type the password once, when adding your computer to the homegroup.

I'm doing that here, with Vista. But I've disabled Homegroup. I dont need it

gary67
28-02-2010, 06:50 PM
OK wasn't sure as only have one win7 computer so disable homegroup

andy
28-02-2010, 07:19 PM
I've got 4 pcs on W7 and 3 on XP. I understand that the W& pcs must all be in the same workgroup, and all the pcs are. They will all talk to each other and share files and printers, but I thought a Homegroup might make life easier for the other family members. I'm using MS Security on all the W7 pcs and the network is set to Home for all of them, but as I said, they won't homegroup together. I'm baffled.

Speedy Gonzales
28-02-2010, 07:34 PM
This may help (http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1407359)

As it says above, are all the Win 7 PC's on a home network, not a public or work network? If theyre not change all of them to a home network

wainuitech
28-02-2010, 07:34 PM
As mention before, you HAVE to have W7 PC's, Xp wont work in a home group.

Have you actually told W7 to look for the other PC's in the homegroup - they WONT show up the same way as the older style of networking as per XP etc.

Have you tried setting up the homegroup as per This article (http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/01/13/windows-7-homegroup-overview) - I've set up several peoples networks using the method in that article, no problems - one trick is to disable all firewalls as well.

wainuitech
01-03-2010, 12:36 PM
Just a follow up on the above. At least one of the PC's HAS to be windows 7 professional or above, W7 Home wont create a home group, but can join one.

While surfing yesterday - came across This video (http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/itdojo/?p=1561&tag=results;CR1) shows how to make a home Group the correct way.

If you are using a server of any kind on your network that may also have an effect, I tried on Mine, and homegroup wouldn't work due to logging into the server - disabled that and away it went.

ALSO make sure you have NOT disabled IPV6 in the TCP/IP settings, Homegroup requires it.

linw
01-03-2010, 02:22 PM
"At least one of the PC's HAS to be windows 7 professional or above, W7 Home wont create a home group, but can join one.".

Where did you get this from WT? Home Premium can certainly create a Home group.

Speedy Gonzales
01-03-2010, 02:27 PM
Looks like Home premium, Pro, Ultimate and Enterprise can create homegroups

wainuitech
01-03-2010, 02:30 PM
My Mistake oops - I was thinking W7 Home Basic - since I had been playing about with it over the weekend.

One thing - you HAVE to allow homegroup through the firewall, esp if its not MS Security - The Eset SS doesn't auto detect it as wanting access, BUT if you run the the trouble shooter wizard it's clearly stopping it - so any other firewall can do the same.

andy
02-03-2010, 06:43 PM
Thanks to all you chaps who replied. I've leart heaps from this. It turned out to be an ID 10t error. Definitely a grey moment or three - I had created a homegroup from my beloved's laptop many days back when it was the first W7 conversion (I wasn't going to practice on my computers! :-) ) Of course I'd long forgotten that and tried to do it again when I had converted my nest of pcs and used a password created on one of mine. Of course, nothing worked as I was trying to join a Homegroup using the wrong password!! Changing all passwords has cured all problems and now it all works of course.