PDA

View Full Version : Google Earth is crashing my computer

symiggy
27-02-2010, 05:01 PM
For the past few weeks I have had an ongoing problem in running Google Earth.
When I start the program, The initial splash screen opens normally followed by the opening screen which also seems to load normally but after about 5 to 10 seconds the program crashes and I get a black screen which lasts for a few seconds and is then followed by the program reloading with a pop-up from the task bar reporting that the crash was due to a problem with the display adapter. ...after a few seconds more the whole sequence repeats itself and this will continue for 5 or 6 cycles until I either get a blue screen of death or until I reset the computer.
After restarting the computer there is sometimes a dialog box indicating that there had been a crash and advising that the display driver for RADEON X800 XL needs to be updated.
I have a Radeon X800 XL graphics card installed and I have checked both manually and with automatic updates that the driver is the most up to date that there is.
I have also completely un-installed and then re-installed Google Earth, which initially seemed to fix the problem ...only to recur again after a few weeks.
I would really appreciate any suggestions in fixing this.
Thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
27-02-2010, 05:24 PM
Install ATI's drivers, dont use Windowupdate drivers

symiggy
27-02-2010, 05:37 PM
Install ATI's drivers, dont use Windowupdate drivers

Speedy: I actually did download the drivers from ATI there was a link explaining that Legacy was now the host company .
After I downloaded the complete package ( 97MB) I attempted to install it using Device Manager as I have done in the past and when I pointed the device manager to the folder in which I had placed the downloaded driver, I got a dialog telling me that the driver on my computer was up to date I was not able to proceed any further and so I was unable to install the driver that I had just downloaded! :badpc::dogeye::(

Speedy Gonzales
27-02-2010, 05:50 PM
Err you dont add them through device manager. You double click on it to install it (its an exe file). And do a custom install, if you dont want everything

lakewoodlady
27-02-2010, 07:04 PM
Never heard of adding drivers through device manager before........ that would be strange, if it worked at all?

LL

KarameaDave
27-02-2010, 07:32 PM
It is the easiest way if they are .inf instead of .exe
Handy with old windows LOL

symiggy
27-02-2010, 09:29 PM
Never heard of adding drivers through device manager before........ that would be strange, if it worked at all?

LL

Actually I was following exactly the procedure recommended by Microsoft in using Device Manager to update drivers...but never-the-less on your advice I did double click the Downloaded driver and it did install as per your suggestion....but....sadly it has made no difference at all...Google Earth still crashes my system on being opened .
I am still asking for any further suggestions in solving this problem since I really would like to use Google Earth.

Speedy Gonzales
27-02-2010, 09:41 PM
Looks like Google earth has a habit of crashing (http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=google+earth+crashes&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a). MS may recommend updating drivers through device manager, (you can with inf files), but I dont think it says you should add 97 mb exe files. Thats why theyre exe files

Sweep
27-02-2010, 10:03 PM
Interesting. I run Google Earth on a Win 7 64 bit O/S and it does not crash or freeze or anything like that. Doing help about gives me this:-

Google Earth
Build Date
Nov 12, 2009
Build Time
11:59:29 am
Renderer
OpenGL
Operating System
Microsoft Windows Vista (Service Pack 0)
Video Driver
NVIDIA Corporation
Max Texture Size
4096x4096
Server
kh.google.com

Go figure.

Trev
27-02-2010, 10:24 PM
Lots of crashes here.
http://www.google.co.nz/#hl=en&source=hp&q=google+earth+crashes&meta=&aq=2&oq=Google+earth+cr&fp=c59d208729a8e2c5
:)

Sweep
27-02-2010, 10:29 PM
Lots of crashes here.
http://www.google.co.nz/#hl=en&source=hp&q=google+earth+crashes&meta=&aq=2&oq=Google+earth+cr&fp=c59d208729a8e2c5
:)

Which of course brings up the same old that Speedy already did.

Your point is?