PDA

View Full Version : Ask--- adware warning

effie c
27-02-2010, 12:24 PM
Hi,

This morning I accepted updates from Firefox - which unbeknown to me included Ask, again, ---and to make matters worse it appeared to infect Internet Explorer by default.Speedy said a few weeks ago it was adware- and it sure is that

Nothing I could do would stop it muscling in as "my home page" in both servers--this was confirmed by all users I found in my search for effective remedies

My answer was a systems restore - well back from any connection with today's download---and it worked- for which I thank God :thanks

I am very much an amature even now, so do not say that my method is THE way-but again I am now Ask free!!!:D

On the net there are many irate users who also cannot get rid of it- even some who thought they had succeeded but it kept coming back

I had uninstalled and used all other deletions and although no longer showed in programs- nothing would remove it
:o

effie c

Speedy Gonzales
27-02-2010, 12:26 PM
If you've installed IE8, you can disable it under addons (if it shows a toolbar)

wainuitech
27-02-2010, 12:34 PM
If you installed the program using the default setting, it will install Ask - thats why you always use custom or advanced install options ( thats on ANY program), allows you to untick them when installing.

You can remove it Via add/remove programs, or in Vista/W7 programs and features and/or using revo, that gets out the reg keys as well.

effie c
27-02-2010, 01:28 PM
Hi Speedy and Wainui

The use of addons disabling---- did that " cannot uninstall two reg files" came up
The use of revo I had not known about- but this sure is a pain in the proverbial.

What astonished me is that even add/remove while deleting ASK in programs,did not or was not able to complete everything "cannot uninstall, etc etc " even a reboot did not clear anything-- so hence the systems restore

Thanks guys anyway- I am a happy chappie --and bloody wary of some of these so called improvments/adware etc

effie c

apsattv
27-02-2010, 11:04 PM
Hi,

This morning I accepted updates from Firefox -

Stop right there, "updates from firefox" ???? please explain

Since when has Mozilla Firefox included the ASK toolbar?

Lawrence
27-02-2010, 11:14 PM
C-Cleaner full build has Ask toolbar,go for the slim build. Also watch Foxit Reader,it will install Ask Toolbar if you don't untick it

Speedy Gonzales
27-02-2010, 11:19 PM
It doesnt if you do a custom install / untick it