PDA

View Full Version : eSata works but only on boot-up

alisam
27-02-2010, 10:40 AM
Just bought a NexStar CX enclosure with WD Caviar Green 1TB drive.
If I connect to the eSata port (I have 3) and boot the PC (Vista) then the drive is mounted.

However, I cannot just add the drive once the PC is booted.

I have searched various forums and one suggestion was to configure sata as AHCI (from IDE) in the BIOS. I did this, but the PC did not seem to boot and all I had was a black screen. Changed it back to IDE and all was OK.

How can I plug the drive into the eSata port and have it recognised in Explorer. Thereafter, I need the icon to safely remove the drive.
PS If I re-scan my drives in Drive Management then it finds the external drive.

Speedy Gonzales
27-02-2010, 10:43 AM
If you want to use AHCI, you have to enable it before you install Windows (If youre using XP), you have to add the SATA drivers (either by floppy, or slipstream them to the XP cd). Otherwise it wont find the hdd. And if its on IDE in the BIOS (and you change it to AHCI later - if the SATA drivers havent been installed), it'll crash.

However, you dont have to with Vista, or Win7. Whats the brand/model of the mobo?

DeSade
27-02-2010, 10:45 AM
I would check your firmware documentation and see if your enclosure supports the ability to "hot plug"

USB has it natively but I am not sure about eSata

alisam
27-02-2010, 10:49 AM
If you want to use AHCI, you have to enable it before you install Windows (If youre using XP), you have to add the SATA drivers (either by floppy, or slipstream them to the XP cd). Otherwise it wont find the hdd. And if its on IDE in the BIOS (and you change it to AHCI later - if the SATA drivers havent been installed), it'll crash.

However, you dont have to with Vista, or Win7. Whats the brand/model of the mobo?

Its an ASUS P5Q and I am using Vista (up-to-date)

alisam
27-02-2010, 10:51 AM
I would check your firmware documentation and see if your enclosure supports the ability to "hot plug"

USB has it natively but I am not sure about eSata

Its a Vantec NexStar CX and the manual says "Hot-Swappable. Plug and Play Without Rebooting". I don't know what this actually means.

DeSade
27-02-2010, 10:52 AM
Means it should be fine so you can ignore my post :)

Speedy Gonzales
27-02-2010, 10:57 AM
You may have to enable AHCI (http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20100216145703359&board_id=1&model=P5Q&page=1&SLanguage=en-us) in the BIOS. But you may have to enable AHCI in the BIOS, then reformat for it to work. There's a few posts here (http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?board_id=1&model=P5Q&SLanguage=en-us) saying AHCI needs to be enabled for ESATA to work as well

Sherman
27-02-2010, 02:49 PM
To enable ACHI mode in Windows Vista/7 you do NOT need to reformat windows.

To get windows to boot after enabling ACHI in the BIOS, follow the instructions in the following MS support article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

Once you have followed those instructions, reboot the PC, and change the SATA mode to AHCI in the BIOS.

When Windows has booted, it should be using the basic Microsoft ACHI driver. You will probably want to go to the asus or intel website and download and install the Intel Matrix Storage Manager Driver to enable more advanced driver features.

narutophantom
27-02-2010, 11:33 PM
Thanks for all the posts, I had the same enclosure and the same problem I just put up with it, but now I don't have to :)

alisam
28-02-2010, 09:13 AM
To get windows to boot after enabling ACHI in the BIOS, follow the instructions in the following MS support article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

Once you have followed those instructions, reboot the PC, and change the SATA mode to AHCI in the BIOS.

When Windows has booted, it should be using the basic Microsoft ACHI driver. You will probably want to go to the asus or intel website and download and install the Intel Matrix Storage Manager Driver to enable more advanced driver features.

Haven't had any luck.
I changed the Msahci Start Value from 4 to 0 (as per the Microsoft article) i.e

# Locate and then click one of the following registry subkeys:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Msahci
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\IastorV
# In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.
# In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
# On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.

Shutdown the PC and in the BIOS changed the SATA mode to AHCI (from IDE).
Thereafter, there may have been some normal startup information, but the monitor just went black and I doubt the PC was booted correctly.
I crashed the PC and changed back to IDE and the PC has booted OK.

Speedy Gonzales
28-02-2010, 09:45 AM
Do you have to install Matrix storage manager after?? According to the Intel site (http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=17882&ProdId=2101&lang=eng). Its for RAID. Since AHCI is enabled on this, it should be safe to install this, since the Chipset stuff is installed as well?

Speedy Gonzales
28-02-2010, 10:03 AM
Scratch that. I installed it. It was fine. It replaced everything under IDE ATA adapters in device manager

alisam
28-02-2010, 02:08 PM
Left the PC for a few hours and decided to have another go. Checked all the settings and booted the PC. This time, I did not have the external drive switched on, and lo and behold it booted. Don't remember all the steps but after a few reboots due to automatic software installation, then everything seems OK.

I can start the PC with/without the external drive switched on.

Also, I did install the Intel Matrix Storage Console (which I downloaded from the ASUS site).

What I still don't have is any icon to let me safely remove the external drive. I thought I would get some way of letting me remove the drive from the operating system.

Speedy Gonzales
28-02-2010, 02:30 PM
Did you install the intel inf chipset install first? Did you install 8.2.0.1001, a beta?? If you did I would install 8.9 (http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=2101&DwnldID=17882&lang=eng). The first option. Can you eject it from my computer? It used to show an eject option on the remove thing here (in Win7), but since I've installed the above, its changed one of the options to open devices and printers. Thats probably where you eject it in Win7. I cant try it tho, I'm not using any external hdds

alisam
28-02-2010, 02:39 PM
Did you install the intel inf chipset install first? Did you install 8.2.0.1001, a beta?? If you did I would install 8.9 (http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=2101&DwnldID=17882&lang=eng). The first option. Can you eject it from my computer? It used to show an eject option on the remove thing here (in Win7), but since I've installed the above, its changed one of the options to open devices and printers. Thats probably where you eject it in Win7. I cant try it tho, I'm not using any external hdds

Yes I did install 8.9 i.e. 8.9.0.1023
If I right click in Computer on the external drive, there is no eject option.

Speedy Gonzales
28-02-2010, 03:23 PM
Is the ESATA onboard or a bracket?? If its on a bracket, WHAT SATA port is it in, on the mobo?? I see with this mobo (P5Q SE/R, which maybe similar to yours). If you've put it on AHCI in the BIOS, you should put the boot hdd on another port (not 1/2, on the mobo). And some mobo SATA ports maybe yellow (mine are all red), (yellow ports, by the looks of it also support hotswapping, but this may depend on the type of SATA cable youre using).

This is WHAT ESATA connections should be connected to. Not too sure if you should be installing the jmicron drivers as it says here (http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/how-eject-sata-external-hard-drive-safely-remove-hardware-not-showing-up-30151/index2.html) for the ESATA to show up or not. By the looks of it, there is a program called hotswap, which is also on the above link (a link for it)

Deimos
28-02-2010, 06:41 PM
Its an ASUS P5Q and I am using Vista (up-to-date)

I have a P5B-E and several other Asus boards, I have tried several add in cards and what I have found is that eSATA is pretty much useless for hot plugging hard drives no matter what settings you use.

For convenience USB (or firewire for that matter) is far superior, I have 2 eSATA devices and eventually gave up on it and switch to the usb port instead, never had probablems again.

Yes the speed is slower, however its only about a 50% penalty (for conventional hard drives) and in my opinion it is worth it as you probably waste more time mucking around with eSATA anyway.

TeejayR
28-02-2010, 06:53 PM
I also had a number of issues with my eSATA outlet on my Asus P5KR board - I gave up on AHCI (I could only activate by using the find new hardware iption in device manager)

In the end and I just settled for attaching the eSATA bracket (that came with my external case) and plugged it into an eSATA dedicated outlet on the board.

Looking forward to USB 3.0 when it arrives - hopefully this will be a bit more of an industry standard than eSATA has attempted to become.

Speedy Gonzales
28-02-2010, 07:06 PM
You'll need a mobo with USB 3 ports first, then windows 7, then SP1. So USB 3 works

DeSade
28-02-2010, 07:41 PM
You'll need a mobo with USB 3 ports first, then windows 7, then SP1. So USB 3 works

Mobo - check
W7 - check
sp1 - When is that due?

Speedy Gonzales
28-02-2010, 08:10 PM
Maybe Oct/Nov this year

Deimos
28-02-2010, 09:08 PM
Maybe Oct/Nov this year

Its a bit wierd, some USB 3.0 previews have mentioned no additional software requirement for USB 3.0 devices, so it appears that Windows 7 has native support for USB 3.0...

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/12/11/usb_30_preview/

But wikipedia say that drivers for Windows 7 are under development (can't rely on wikipedia though) and the Windows 7 article says that USB 3.0 support will come in a patch but the article sited is from November 2008, almost a full year before Windows 7 actually came out, so it is quite concievable that Windows 7 does indeed have native USB 3.0 support...

alisam
28-02-2010, 09:40 PM
I have a P5B-E and several other Asus boards, I have tried several add in cards and what I have found is that eSATA is pretty much useless for hot plugging hard drives no matter what settings you use.

For convenience USB (or firewire for that matter) is far superior, I have 2 eSATA devices and eventually gave up on it and switch to the usb port instead, never had probablems again.

Yes the speed is slower, however its only about a 50% penalty (for conventional hard drives) and in my opinion it is worth it as you probably waste more time mucking around with eSATA anyway.

I did a non scientific test by copying my pictures to the new external hard drive.
I copied 6556 files for a total of 19.9gb.
USB took 20 minutes
eSata took 7 minutes.

alisam
28-02-2010, 09:52 PM
Downloaded HotSwap and it definitley works

Speedy Gonzales
28-02-2010, 09:53 PM
Its a bit weird, some USB 3.0 previews have mentioned no additional software requirement for USB 3.0 devices, so it appears that Windows 7 has native support for USB 3.0...

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/12/11/usb_30_preview/

But wikipedia say that drivers for Windows 7 are under development (can't rely on wikipedia though) and the Windows 7 article says that USB 3.0 support will come in a patch but the article sited is from November 2008, almost a full year before Windows 7 actually came out, so it is quite conceivable that Windows 7 does indeed have native USB 3.0 support...

According to this (http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-10083822-64.html)

Microsoft expressed caution about USB 3.0--which is expected to offer 10 times the performance of USB 2.0--because finalization has taken so long. "Because the current USB 3.0 spec is currently not signed off, we're challenged and we won't have support for USB 3.0 in Windows 7 at RTM (release to manufacturing)," Lars Giusti of Microsoft said in a WinHEC session here titled "USB Technology Update and Windows Strategy." If you do a search for Win7 SP1, most sites, say support for USB 3

Deimos
28-02-2010, 11:38 PM
According to this (http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-10083822-64.html)

snip.

Yeah like I said, the article cited is from 2008, check your own link:

"November 6, 2008 11:45 AM" almost 1 full year before RTM was available

Deimos
28-02-2010, 11:42 PM
I did a non scientific test by copying my pictures to the new external hard drive.
I copied 6556 files for a total of 19.9gb.
USB took 20 minutes
eSata took 7 minutes.

Yeah like I said "its only ABOUT a 50% penalty" I still believe time is saved by NOT using eSATA simply because of the lacklustre hotswap, I used to use it for backups, after about 5 hotswaps I would have to reboot the server, rebooting = time wasted because A. backups run overnight so who cares if it takes 3 hours instead of 1.5 and B. spending a few minutes rebooting a server, making sure disks are recognised etc is more time than not having to do those things with USB.

Davoid
01-03-2010, 06:39 AM
With my External eSata drive, after I connect the esata cable (computer is already running - Windows 7) I just right click on "computer" select "manage" then highlight "disk management" under Storage and then just go up to "Action" and "rescan disks" this then loads the external drive and away I go.
One thing I have found is that if I want to disconnect the drive while the Comp is running I turn off the external drive and then rescan disks before pulling the esata connection.

Deimos
01-03-2010, 09:35 AM
With my External eSata drive, after I connect the esata cable (computer is already running - Windows 7) I just right click on "computer" select "manage" then highlight "disk management" under Storage and then just go up to "Action" and "rescan disks" this then loads the external drive and away I go.
One thing I have found is that if I want to disconnect the drive while the Comp is running I turn off the external drive and then rescan disks before pulling the esata connection.

See... this is my point, thats a lot of clicks and farting around when USB just works, for me convenience is king, and eSATA is not convenient.

Davoid
01-03-2010, 04:02 PM
If it is to hard then just create a shortcut to "Disk Management" on your desktop, double click and select "rescan"
Of course I am normally copying over a large amount of data as I only connect when I need to backup and that is why I like esata and I don't have to use the "safely remove hardware ....." method.