PDA

View Full Version : This Depression verses The Last One

SurferJoe46
27-02-2010, 04:38 AM
I wonder about the fact that since there are so many "students" enrolled in the US colleges and universities if this is just a social trend or a hedge against the NEXT depression.

OK "depression" may not be the word of the day - especially if one is a politically-motivated aspirant -but for the sake of this thought - it fits pretty good.

However - that possible misnomer in mind: there are a plethora of applications to higher educational institutions here in the US - and some who are unable to matriculate are picketing and protesting that they are being denied their right to a higher education - even if these so-called students are neither US citizens nor citizens of the state that is offering the free classes.

That, proffered above, is the newsworthy part that caught my attention and with further rumination, I got to the next plateau.

Here's my presentation: I FEEL that during the last (and possibly stretching that word a little - but the jury's out on that yet) REAL depression - that there were not as many "students" enrolled in higher educational edifices for the sake of getting a better education.

My reasoning: the US has a labyrinth system of free universities and tertiary colleges that are so overburdened yet are still available to any-and-all who can walk into class and sign on the dotted line.

The available student dockets are diminishing rapidly though and some establishments have ceased accepting applications and are doing so for the next foreseeable, er - ten years or so.

The quandary: (as I see it) is that during the last Big-D, the sheer numbers of persons engaged in receiving a tertiary education were nowhere as high in count as now and I wonder if it's just the prospect of something to do whilst the economy shakes itself out of the current doldrums and these persons are hiding from low paying jobs by telling everyone - including themselves - that they are getting a better education for "when things get better" or what?

I want to rule out the population headcount and the fact that there are so many imported Oriental students swamping the attendance rolls and that in days past the US was a more agrarian society and a lot of kids stayed home to keep hearth and home and parents afloat. I don't question the needs for a higher education and certainly foreign participants are not the issue here.

Is this also a trend in Upsidedown Land or am I seeing black helicopters where there are none?

It might be a good idea to consider the "re-nesters" or children that return to the home of their parents because they cannot find work, pay for their own home or buy their own food.

Home is their security blanket and if they cannot work but are actively attaining further education it might be easier to accept by the parents that the kids are doing a pretty good thing for themselves even if they are boomerang-ing and under the parent's wings again with the resultant negative cash flow.

Your thoughts are not required - but they would be interesting to hear.

prefect
27-02-2010, 08:23 AM
People with degrees are the first people to get the arse in a depression.
You dont need a degree to make food, drive a bus, pick up garbage.

R2x1
27-02-2010, 08:29 AM
Let us please be more considerate in our job descriptions, eg., those who pick up the garbage are officially known as Parliamentary chauffeurs.

WalOne
27-02-2010, 08:38 AM
verses

I think you mean, "versus"

(filling in for Roddy) :clap

R2x1
27-02-2010, 10:39 AM
verses

Maybe it's poetic license?

WalOne
27-02-2010, 11:19 AM
Maybe it's poetic license?

:groan:

(files in things-I-would-have-liked-to-have-said file) :lol:

SurferJoe46
27-02-2010, 06:36 PM
verses

'K - ya got me. Youse guys! All those extra "u"s get to ya, huh?

Do I at least get a passing grade for the thoughts?

"Concussion-Percussion" - it's all the same.